Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub box for 2011 lsv

Glove0950

Hey guys I’m looking to put a sub box up under the drivers dash, I have a wet sounds 12” xxx sub and having a hard time finding a box that will fit and whatnot. Any recommendations for pre built or anybody that builds custom boxes for boats? I’m in Ohio and not really any marine custom places up here at least that I know of. I wanted to build one but looking at the space down there I feel like it would be more work than I am ready for to build a potted box with the correct volume and tuned to the correct hz. I have seen a few custom builds on here I liked but not sure what I want to do. I would like a plexiglass view too but not completely set on it. Just looking for recommendations and ideas guys, thanks in advance! 

No clue if it would work on that hull, but several here have used the Q-bomb boxes with acceptable results.  As good as custom built?  No, but they have got good reviews from members here generally.  

I have two Wet Sounds subs in QBOMB boxes on different boats.  One firing downwards on a pontoon and one firing from under the LSV helm.  Inexpensive, sturdy, the right volume, and easy.  Just search this site for sub boxes and you'll find lots of options from really difficult to really easy.  Some will say that a custom box sounds better and maybe it does a little - but it is a boat not a sound stage - and with a good (@500 watt rms) amp I can't tell the difference.

Welcome to TMC.

Here's some fun math! The qbomb is made using the cheapest .75 particle board they could find. The XXX woofer weighs 34 lbs. That box is not going to support that woofer for long. Compared to a custom enclosure built for the marine environment, the qbomb is poorly made IMO. 

Can one tell the difference between enclosure volume differences? Sure, if you are listening. A .2 ft3 difference between 2 sealed enclosures, makes an audible difference in how a woofer sounds. Does this mean one box sounds bad compared to the other? No, not necessarily. What is means is, that that woofer may not sound as good to you in a 1.3 ft3 sealed enclosure, as it could. The good news is, its easier to make a box smaller, then it is to make it larger. With that said, I greatly prefer that XXX woofer in a ported enclosure, over a sealed. Not to mention the greater output you gain with a ported, over a sealed. 

To put it bluntly, if one is willing to settle for an ok sounding woofer, there are plenty of $100 woofers out there for that. 

Yeah I didn’t want an “ok” woofer lol. I wanted something better lol. I want to go ported but just trying to figure out IF there is a box that others here have used on the lsv ghat could work if not I will have to suck it up and get to work with the saws and whatnot to try and build my own. I was looking more for a recommendation if there is a pre fab box for these boats or if somebody out there that has built one can duplicate possibly or something of that nature. 

Well if you have lots of spare time and want that last 10% sound in the boat (which is a poor sound stage, IMHO) then by all means invest the time and money in a custom ported enclosure.  You might want to try investing $58 in a QBOMB12S first.  You can always sell it or throw it away if you're not happy.  And I misspoke, I have two XS-12s, but the XS-XXX fits in the same hole and the QBOMB seems quite sturdy.  If you want to adjust the interior volume, a little insulation foam and construction adhesive works well.  Just representing the quality middle market :biggrin:

On 11/29/2018 at 6:05 AM, MLA said:

Here's some fun math! The qbomb is made using the cheapest .75 particle board they could find.

Pretty sure that’s not math....  but just a salty opinion. 

Heres an actual fact, I’m going on 5yrs of QBomb boxes and haven’t had one fail or not perform. And there are several other members that have done the same.

EF16D5C5-124C-4EED-8550-D92345B7AFCB.gif

• Like 2

Ok @Stevo fair enough point that comments regarding the quality of material is my opinion. Salty or sweet, Im confident in that opinion, and will stand on it. Seems you put that woofer/box combo in to service around 8/2015? Glad you have not experienced any issues, but your quote left out the very context of my post, in that the OP's woofer of choice, is about 34 lbs. Thats likely two times the weight of your woofer. I dont think one needs an engineering degree here, to see a potential issue of a 3/4" thick MDF or particle board baffle wall, supporting that weight.  

1 hour ago, MLA said:

Ok @Stevo fair enough point that comments regarding the quality of material is my opinion. Salty or sweet, Im confident in that opinion, and will stand on it. Seems you put that woofer/box combo in to service around 8/2015? Glad you have not experienced any issues, but your quote left out the very context of my post, in that the OP's woofer of choice, is about 34 lbs. Thats likely two times the weight of your woofer. I dont think one needs an engineering degree here, to see a potential issue of a 3/4" thick MDF or particle board baffle wall, supporting that weight.  

Curious if you have direct experience with the Q Bomb or are just making a general comment about any 3/4” mdf prefab box.

Since when did a properly sealed and water proof MDF box fall out of favor?  I’ve had several Q Bombs as well as the new and improved plastic box that @wetsounds1 was on here endorsing a few years ago. I can say without a doubt the Q Bomb is superior from a sound quality and air tight perspective. Turns out the factory box, as @shawndoggy predicted, is not as air tight as promised. 

Let’s get practical here... As it relates to the weight of the driver, @Stevo‘s sub is no slouch either at 25 lbs. Are you really saying that 9 extra points is going make that box crumble?  Exactly how long will that take to happen?  Even if it does fail (unlikely) what are you out? 50 bucks?? 

Another fun fact you... I’m running the same driver as Stevo in a 3/4” MdF prefab box in the back of a Jeep Wrangler that is daily driven on bumpy, country Texas roads, and I’ve had zero issues in 15k miles over 18 months. I guarantee you that 25 lb sub is putting more stress on the box in my Jeep than a 34 lb sub would ever put on a similar box in a boat that’s used maybe 50-100 hours a year. 

A9E69AD5-28A0-4B0D-A68C-E55E815699B2.jpeg

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Curious if you have direct experience with the Q Bomb

Yes, as well as the other QPower and other brand enclosures. 

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Since when did a properly sealed and water proof MDF box fall out of favor?

Calling the qbomb properly sealed and waterproof would be one's opinion, but not mine. As to sealed over say ported, a woofer of this caliber deserves a ported in order to milk its potential

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Exactly how long will that take to happen?

No way to tell this, but I would rather warn of its possibility, based on experience, and it never fail, then state with absolute that q-bomb is solid, and have it fail. 

I make no apology for my standards being higher. 

24 minutes ago, MLA said:

No way to tell this, but I would rather warn of its possibility, based on experience, and it never fail, then state with absolute that q-bomb is solid, and have it fail. 

I make no apology for my standards being higher. 

Makes sense.  I'll live with compromises for my own stuff that I wouldn't necessarily feel confident selling to someone else.  

LOL, all this over a stupid wooden box :rofl: So @IXFE would be perfectly content with a custom enclosure being built no better then an off the shelf mass produced universal box? And pride on one's work, is a superiority attitude? 

9 minutes ago, MLA said:

LOL, all this over a stupid wooden box :rofl: So @IXFE would be perfectly content with a custom enclosure being built no better then an off the shelf mass produced universal box? And pride on one's work, is a superiority attitude? 

Please quote where I said pre fab > custom

This stopped being about a wood box a while ago, bud...