Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Jeep Gladiator truck

RedWakesetterVLX

1 hour ago, Cazan said:

I agree on the ecodeisel.  One article mentioned towing would be less with the Ecodiesel which makes no sense to me.  The author said it was because it’s harder to cool than the 3.6L but it has almost double the torque.  

If they can get the bugs worked out with the ecodeisel and its towing capacity is in the 7000+ lb range, 28+ highway mpg (non towing), I’d seriously consider one.

Do you really think 285hp/260lbft torque Pentestar will tow 7000+ decent? I think it’s pretty weak even with 3.73 gears.  Still not sure why Jeep won’t consider the 5.7L Hemi as an option. Hell they put the 6.4L in the Grand Cherokee, Durango, Challenger and Charger.  Rumor is a Hellcat Ram is coming...come on FCA...just give the Wrangler/Gladiator the 5.7L.

I wouldn’t tow 7000 pounds in a mid size truck regardless of the engine. I really don’t think that is the main goal of this truck. It’s aimed more at those who off road (or in their mind would like to off road) and want a commuter vehicle that can go to Home Depot and maybe tow something like an ATV/ bass boat or the like. 

I also think the 5.7’s days are numbered. Don’t think FCA is designing many new vehicles around that engine. 

8 hours ago, RyanB said:

I wouldn’t tow 7000 pounds in a mid size truck regardless of the engine. I really don’t think that is the main goal of this truck. It’s aimed more at those who off road (or in their mind would like to off road) and want a commuter vehicle that can go to Home Depot and maybe tow something like an ATV/ bass boat or the like. 

I also think the 5.7’s days are numbered. Don’t think FCA is designing many new vehicles around that engine. 

They just designed the new 1500 Ram with the 5.7L being the main engine.  It’s still in the Durango and GC.  I don’t see it going anywhere soon especially if the eTourqe system evolves and is successful.

Your right the 5.7L is being put less in the Charger/Challenger and the dying 300. Thats because of the 6.4L (392) is the better option. Who wants an 5.7L when the 6.4L is there?

Thats why I think it makes sense as an upgrade from the 3.6L to the 5.7L in the Gladiator. The Gladiator is a truck.  It’s longer, heavier and has almost 4K more in towing capacity but yet you put the same engine as the Wrangler? At least give it as an upgrade option. Maybe they eventually will, maybe not.

Either way it’s an cool vehicle and something I’ll consider with the diesel. Assuming they gets all the bugs out of that. 

Edited by Cazan
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

If you want a 5.7, there are a bunch of companies that do 5.7 transplants into wranglers.  One of them is in mn. 

https://www.dakota-customs.com

Yeah I know there is.  I’m just saying I’d prefer to see it designed and engineered from the factory vs doing the swap.  Not necessarily in the Wrangler but more in the Gladitor. 

2 minutes ago, Cazan said:

Yeah I know there is.  I’m just saying I’d prefer to see it designed and engineered from the factory vs doing the swap.  Not necessarily in the Wrangler but more in the Gladitor. 

Wrangler = Gladiator  it's the same vehicle from the back of the doors forward.

People have been asking for a factory 5.7 in the wrangler for years, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by oldjeep
11 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Wrangler = Gladiator  it's the same vehicle from the back of the doors forward.

People have been asking for a factory 5.7 in the wrangler for years, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Sits on a completely new frame with a 19.4” longer wheelbase.  May share a lot of similar parts with the Wrangler but not the same. 

1 minute ago, Cazan said:

Sits on a completely new frame with a 19.4” longer wheelbase.  May share a lot of similar parts with the Wrangler but not the same. 

It is the same in the same way that a short wheelbase pickup is the same as a long wheelbase pickup.

Edited by oldjeep
45 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

It is the same in the same way that a short wheelbase pickup is the same as a long wheelbase pickup.

That's not what FCA is saying... If they go and build a 2 door gladiator then yes.

"Jeep claims the Gladiator shares less than 50 percent of its parts with the Wrangler JL."

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

If they put a hemi in it the thing would probably fall apart. Lol. 

I've been around a fair number of Hemi JK conversions.  The jeep itself is fine but the axles definitely start exploding if you don't upgrade them too.  Mopar actually sells nearly bolt in front/rear Dana 60's specifically for the Wrangler so I'd assume that the front is likely the same, rear likely different mounting.  The mistake a lot of guys make is that they start with a Rubicon and then wind up having to replace everything that made it a Rubicon anyways

Edited by oldjeep
2 hours ago, jcon44 said:

That's not what FCA is saying... If they go and build a 2 door gladiator then yes.

"Jeep claims the Gladiator shares less than 50 percent of its parts with the Wrangler JL."

Easy to believe - Frame, tub, rear driveshaft, rear suspension, gas tank, taillights, exhaust, etc

However it seems unlikely that the front clip, engine, trans, transfercase, front axle, steering and most of the interior parts are not the same. (just by looking at the thing)

Jeep has a long history of using mostly the same parts in multiple vehicles

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:23 AM, Falko said:

Fluid Film. I'm doing our annual coat this weekend.

How does it hold up with washing the vehicle? Typically in the winter I try to run through a wash with underbody spray once a week. Do you have the pro sprayer or use another method?

I use the pro sprayer with wands. The wands are key as using the spray tip from the sprayer creates a bit of a fog and if doing it inside, the stuff settles on everything. The wand doesn't atomize it as much and it sticks, a bit thicker too.

You shouldn't do high pressure washes, that will take it off. A normal sprayer to rinse it down is fine. I have certain spots that I re-coat halfway through winter, mainly the spots directly behind the tires. The spray from the tires will wear it down a bit. Not sure you need to do that as you can tell some is still there, but I try to keep it thicker.

On 11/29/2018 at 7:22 PM, NWBU said:

Ford was the first to act on the trend but all of the US automakers have been trying to figure out for some years if their sedans were really dead before shutting down their plants. It's been 3-4 years since I dug into GM's financials but even then I was surprised to see that almost all of their global profit came from US light truck and SUV sales. They pretty much lost $ on every car sold in the US, and most of the ones sold internationally, and it hasn't changed much since then. 

This has been the case for the last several years.  Kind of interesting, really.  

On 11/29/2018 at 6:09 PM, John I. said:

Maybe American auto manufacturers aren't as competitive in a global market as they would lead everyone to believe. Heck, maybe they wouldn't be competitive in the pick-up/SUV market either without a big assist from the federal government.  chicken tax

Thanks for sharing that article. I had no idea there's a 25% tariff on imported light trucks. Does that apply to trucks assembled in the US by foreign-based companies like Toyota and Nissan?

I'm sorry to thread jack, I'm just really curious about this.

Will be interesting to see the real life tow tests for this.  The new wrangler I drove felt like my Tacoma...That 2017 Tacoma and it was an absolute dog pulling my echelon even with the manual and low gears.  

If Ford ever releases the Ranger with the Ecoboost I think it does serious damage to Jeep's sales on this gladiator.

Edited by Pra4sno

The gladiator isn't aimed at people who want to tow. Its aimed at people who don't really need a truck except to get a few thing from Lowes. And it has the option of taking the doors and top off. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Pra4sno said:

Will be interesting to see the real life tow tests for this.  The new wrangler I drove felt like my Tacoma...That 2017 Tacoma and it was an absolute dog pulling my echelon even with the manual and low gears.  

If Ford ever releases the Ranger with the Ecoboost I think it does serious damage to Jeep's sales on this gladiator.

Forget the Ranger, how about the Bronco?

20 minutes ago, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

The gladiator isn't aimed at people who want to tow. Its aimed at people who don't really need a truck except to get a few thing from Lowes. And it has the option of taking the doors and top off. 

But it's in the tow and trailering subforum here, so we've got to beat on the horse a little bit, haha.

Cool that the doors and top come off.  Kind of odd how most people wouldn't just buy a utility trailer for their wrangler for the home improvement trips.  They'd get the best of both worlds, unless they do actually want the towing capacity of the long wheel base.

Edited by Pra4sno
18 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

Forget the Ranger, how about the Bronco?

Yeah, the Bronco looks awesome.  Ranger fits my lifestyle well, between forced induction, payload, mpgs, tow capacity, ground clearance etc.  I use my truck bed most days of the week, and tow a lot.  

Either way, glad to see some automakers get into making these mid size trucks!  My first gen Tundra is the same size as most of these new midsized releases and has similar towing, specs.  Mileage, ride comfort, stereo, cab noise, stability, power, etc. All go to the new vehicles though so I'll probably be into a newer truck in a few years. 

Edited by Pra4sno
11 hours ago, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

And it opens up a whole lot of optional equipment potential with camping gear for that bed.  Jeep guys like being self contained - trail ride to a camp spot, set up camp, pack up camp and trail ride to the next spot (and do some climbing/crawling along the way).  The little trailer doesn't work (as) well with that.