Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Jeep Gladiator truck

RedWakesetterVLX

24 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Can't say that is a fair comparison... 1

1. Is Hummer around anymore???? 
    1. The brand has failed as a whole
  2. The Hummer truck was not a full bed truck nor really a truck in sense. The bed was smaller than a compact trucks bed making it useless.
  3. Jeep trucks were in market place for a long time ending with the commanche and it is speculated that the commanche was dropped so it would not compete with the Dakota
  4. The Jeep is a full bed truck.
  5. Last, the market has been asking for it for years and it appears Jeep listened.

3) The commanche died because it was a horrible truck that had more in common with an el camino than a pickup.  Unibody with a quasi rear frame section.  It fit the needs fulfilled by the Honda ridgeline, need to haul something but don't need it to carry or tow much weight.  We owned 2 of them over the years, a 2.5L longbed and a 4.0L short bed.  Nice toys, not much of a truck.

I'll be interested to see what the price tag is on the new pcikup.  I'll admit that I can't figure out why anyone is buying any brand of compact pickup when for the same price or less you can typically buy a full sized with more towing/hauling power.

Edited by oldjeep
52 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I kinda wish they came up with a better name tho, than Gladiator.

I do wish that when they re-use names that they would come up with something on par with the original.  It would make more sense to call it a scrambler. 

Gladiator.thumb.jpg.c6093c61a17938d2aec361bcc58cfb3e.jpg

giphy.gif

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
48 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

The Hummer truck was not a full bed truck nor really a truck in sense. The bed was smaller than a compact trucks bed making it useless.

Incorrect:
2010_hummer_h3t_adventure-pic-29032.jpeg

I get you are trying to reference the H2 SUT.  But the H3T was fully marketed as a truck and is in the size category being discussed...

5 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Incorrect:

I get you are trying to reference the H2 SUT.  But the H3T was fully marketed as a truck and is in the size category being discussed...

The H3T had a shorter than 5 ft bed - which made it shorter than the mini trucks and more in the class of the Explorer sport trac and honda ridgeline

Edited by oldjeep
5 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Incorrect:

My bad.. Never seen one lol.. but I will still rest on Hummer brand failed as a whole anyways

Edited by kerpluxal
42 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I'll be interested to see what the price tag is on the new pcikup.  I'll admit that I can't figure out why anyone is buying any brand of compact pickup when for the same price or less you can typically buy a full sized with more towing/hauling power.

I think it makes a lot of sense. They are less expensive than a full size truck. They get better MPG than a full size. Most people don’t care about a full sized bed, and these mid-size trucks offer plenty of power for everyday use. 

Finally, if you spend much time in any big city (where most of America lives) they are so much more livable in regards to maneuverability - parking downtown (or most parking lots) and able to fit in a garage.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

3) The commanche died because it was a horrible truck that had more in common with an el camino than a pickup.  Unibody with a quasi rear frame section.  It fit the needs fulfilled by the Honda ridgeline, need to haul something but don't need it to carry or tow much weight.  We owned 2 of them over the years, a 2.5L longbed and a 4.0L short bed.  Nice toys, not much of a truck.

I said speculate (which was from google so it is true!)... 

I am waiting to price as well.. might have an addition in the driveway ;) .. I have 170,000 miles on my liberty diesel and have not found a replacement for it yet... this might be it...

Really wish they would bring back the Grand Wagoneer :) 

Edited by kerpluxal
2 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I think it makes a lot of sense. They are less expensive than a full size truck. They get better MPG than a full size. Most people don’t care about a full sized bed, and these mid-size trucks offer plenty of power for everyday use. 

Finally, if you spend much time in any big city (where most of America lives) they are so much more livable in regards to maneuverability - parking downtown (or most parking lots) and able to fit in a garage.   

MPG maybe

Actual price out the door my truck costs about the same as a Colorado crew cab.   I work downtown St. Paul and don't have any issues parking.

2 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

I said speculate (which was from google so it is true!)... 

I am waiting to price as well.. might have an addition in the driveway ;) .. I have 170,000 miles on my liberty diesel and have not found a replacement for it yet... this might be it...

Really wish they would bring back the Grand Cheerokee :) 

The Grand Cherokee is gone?  Pretty sure my buddy is driving around in a 2018 Grand Cherokee

15 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

My bad.. Never seen one lol.. but I will still rest on Hummer brand failed as a whole anyways

Part of Hummer’s problem was wrong place wrong time.  The Great Recession and the high gas prices killed the H2 and H3.  I still see quite a few of them around because they were made a few miles from were I live.

9 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

MPG maybe

Actual price out the door my truck costs about the same as a Colorado crew cab.   I work downtown St. Paul and don't have any issues parking.

A buddy bought a diesel Colorado last year. Said it was $10k less than the F150 he was eyeing. 

Ever driven/parked in San Francisco?  Houston? LA?  Pick a city in the North East?  I rented a car once in San Fran - got a Tahoe because that is what they had.  Cost me $50/night to park because it was “over sized”.  A Grand Cherokee (which is still made) would have been less than half that.

You yourself have said multiple times that you don’t care about a garage. Most don’t feel that way. Mid size fits better in any garage, especially the little cookie cutter track homes built today.

The Canyon/Colorado and Tacoma all sell really well. Ford is bringing back the Ranger. Now we have this. Certainly is something to this trend. 

Edited by RyanB
6 minutes ago, RyanB said:

The Canyon/Colorado and Tacoma all sell really well. Ford is bringing back the Ranger. Now we have this. Certainly is something to this trend. 

And that sedans sales have basically fallen off the map all pointing to trucks and SUV's.

11 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

And that sedans sales have basically fallen off the map all pointing to trucks and SUV's.

Chrysler announced that their car manufacturing will end soon. Ford and GM have mostly followed suit. 

Changing times. 

33 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Well... you spoke my mind lol.. I was looking for a way to communicate that... well said

Maybe American auto manufacturers aren't as competitive in a global market as they would lead everyone to believe. Heck, maybe they wouldn't be competitive in the pick-up/SUV market either without a big assist from the federal government.  chicken tax

28 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The Grand Cherokee is gone?  Pretty sure my buddy is driving around in a 2018 Grand Cherokee

Caught me... Grand Wagoneer... I don't know why I always say Grand Cherokee when meaing Grand Wagoneer

10 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Chrysler announced that their car manufacturing will end soon. Ford and GM have mostly followed suit. 

Changing times. 

Ford was the first stop car production leaving only the mustang and I believe the focus... could be wrong on the focus... latest trend is the crossover market and that is what the compact cars and sedans will be changed to.

Edited by kerpluxal

Ford was the first to act on the trend but all of the US automakers have been trying to figure out for some years if their sedans were really dead before shutting down their plants. It's been 3-4 years since I dug into GM's financials but even then I was surprised to see that almost all of their global profit came from US light truck and SUV sales. They pretty much lost $ on every car sold in the US, and most of the ones sold internationally, and it hasn't changed much since then. 

Edited by NWBU
6 minutes ago, John I. said:

Maybe American auto manufacturers aren't as competitive in a global market as they would lead everyone to believe. Heck, maybe they wouldn't be competitive in the pick-up/SUV market either without a big assist from the federal government.  chicken tax

If you go to Europe, you will see a crap load of station wagons i.e. estate cars. The market there has also switched to crossovers and suvs. 

Porsche Top sellers in order:

1. Macan
  2. Cayenne
  3. 911

Stopping there as this shows the small ute then the suv then their flagship sports car.. Same for Bently, Audi, Jaguar, Fiat, ...  etc... it is consumers driving this trend... even Rolls Royce is producing a SUV

52 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

Part of Hummer’s problem was wrong place wrong time.  The Great Recession and the high gas prices killed the H2 and H3.  I still see quite a few of them around because they were made a few miles from were I live.

Right place right time... They are everywhere and had huge success with a the first years... Arnold made them so popular that GM bought them and started the civilian side.. I agree that the recession had an influence but there is a lot more to it than that.. 

Quote from an article that I believe has more value to what actually happened

What really happened though is the Hummer metastory ceased to be useful to people who needed a vehicle to tell the world something about themselves. And so the brand died – as will any brand or business that ignores the importance of helping people do their personal metastory.

The implications of this story for today’s marketers are profound, particularly in a world of wild product abundance. Today, the question you have to ask yourself is not what does your product do? The question that truly matters is what does your product mean, today and in the future?

The original Hummer (Military vehicle) was a very unique vehicle in many ways. But it $ucked for a personal vehicle.  The passenger seat ( front ) had  to be the worst seat ever in any vehicle I have ever had the opportunity to ride in. Your feet were off to the right and foot well so small your feet were on top of each other.  The center console was the size of a dining room table. And the vehicle was massive.  Ford actually look at buying them well before GM. They did understand it would not sell enough to make money.  

10 hours ago, RyanB said:

Not sure about the hate on the Pentastar. I’ve driven a number of them in sedans like the 300/Charger. I like the engine. 

That said, I think the EcoDiesel will be perfect. The new version is said to best the new 3.0 GM is using in their full sizes. That will be a torquey bad boy. 

I agree on the ecodeisel.  One article mentioned towing would be less with the Ecodiesel which makes no sense to me.  The author said it was because it’s harder to cool than the 3.6L but it has almost double the torque.  

If they can get the bugs worked out with the ecodeisel and its towing capacity is in the 7000+ lb range, 28+ highway mpg (non towing), I’d seriously consider one.

Do you really think 285hp/260lbft torque Pentestar will tow 7000+ decent? I think it’s pretty weak even with 3.73 gears.  Still not sure why Jeep won’t consider the 5.7L Hemi as an option. Hell they put the 6.4L in the Grand Cherokee, Durango, Challenger and Charger.  Rumor is a Hellcat Ram is coming...come on FCA...just give the Wrangler/Gladiator the 5.7L.