Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Jeep Gladiator truck

RedWakesetterVLX

Unveiled today at the L.A. Auto show although it seems like it’s been teased for years.

All new frame 31” longer and the wheelbase is 19.4” longer than the 4dr Wrangler.  7650 Max towing, and 1600 payload in certain trims.  Standard 3.6L V6, auto or manual trans, and 3.0L diesel option for 2021. Rubicon trim seems to be very off-road worthy.

I’ve never been a huge “Jeep” guy but Im not gonna lie.  I like it.  A lot.

Heres a couple good links:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2018/11/28/2020-jeep-gladiator-pickup-revealed-towing-diesel-la-auto-show/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/2020-jeep-gladiator-wrangler-pickup-la-auto-show/

E2E8D67F-6984-4803-9BC2-20DE64B3E2E2.jpeg.63545d7eb77a188ba6f2c5ce81ec6b50.jpeg

A9EDACD6-B8D6-4814-A668-8850B15B0667.jpeg.ae87dac07d2c98d7118d79c29fd803c2.jpeg

B9273B4A-DD1C-4CAE-B699-63DBCC46F63A.jpeg.9ec68d950a9fcfb62b65d4891004f8c5.jpeg 

What do you guys think?  I don’t think it will be a bad option for towing an older or smaller boat plus a decent daily driver.

Edited by Cazan
Spelling
6 minutes ago, Cazan said:

Unveiled today at the L.A. Auto show although it seems like it’s been teased for years.

All new frame 31” longer and the wheelbase is 19.4” longer than the 4dr Wrangler.  7650 Max towing, and 1600 payload in certain trims.  Standard 3.6L V6, auto or manual trans, and 3.0L diesel option for 2021. Rubicon trim seems to be very off-road worthy.

I’ve never been a huge “Jeep” guy but Im not gonna lie.  I like it.  A lot.

Heres a couple good links:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2018/11/28/2020-jeep-gladiator-pickup-revealed-towing-diesel-la-auto-show/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/2020-jeep-gladiator-wrangler-pickup-la-auto-show/

E2E8D67F-6984-4803-9BC2-20DE64B3E2E2.jpeg.63545d7eb77a188ba6f2c5ce81ec6b50.jpeg

A9EDACD6-B8D6-4814-A668-8850B15B0667.jpeg.ae87dac07d2c98d7118d79c29fd803c2.jpeg

B9273B4A-DD1C-4CAE-B699-63DBCC46F63A.jpeg.9ec68d950a9fcfb62b65d4891004f8c5.jpeg 

What do you guys think?  I don’t think it will be a bad option for towing an older or smaller boat plus a decent daily driver.

I think it looks cool.  I would love to see Jeep build a wrangler or this with a V8 engine. They need one with more gittyup.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

I think it looks cool.  I would love to see Jeep build a wrangler or this with a V8 engine. They need one with more gittyup.

I agree.  A 5.7 L hemi would be perfect.  Ram should offer the 6.4L (392) in the 1500 as an upgrade to the 5.7. They are building an impressive V8 lineup with the new 426 Hellphant.

1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

I saw a camo one when driving in Michigan. They are pretty cool. @Raimie, will this be your upgrade?

It's funny you should mention that... I think I am spending my last few days with my jeep.... I am turning it for a ZR2 Colorado sometime next week!

I love the jeep and the idea of the gladiator is sweet, but I thought towing is limited to 3600lbs :( I really need something that I can move my boat around town with. The colorado wouldn't be ideal for a long hauls but typically I am just taking it to and from the dealer or my house to the cottage. I'll have to look into it as I see that's not what is said above.

I am actually suffering with anxiety over this. I get really attached to my vehicles and do not want to hand the keys over! I will say that IF I had the 3.6L (2012+), not the 3.8 pentastar, I would keep the jeep and buy an older pickup to drive on the weekends (hauling gas to and from the boat) and in the winter when I go mountain biking (bike gets covered in salt spray on the rear mounted rack with the jeep).

I am a previous s-10 ZR2 owner, so I think once the deal is done I'll be very happy.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_9625.JPG

IMG_0002.jpg

Edited by Raimie

Thanks guys... now I'll be up all night second guessing my decision... although...it will be interesting to see what the pricing is on these. Rubicons are up quite a but from when I bought mine in 2011.

44 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Thanks guys... now I'll be up all night second guessing my decision... although...it will be interesting to see what the pricing is on these. Rubicons are up quite a but from when I bought mine in 2011.

Jeep pricing has gotten rediculous, imho. 

You have a 2011, which is an odd year. You got the new JKU interior refresh, but missed the Pentestar motor by one year. I had a 2013 JKU Sport that I traded for a 2017 JKU Rubicon a couple years ago. I gotta say, I think the Pentestar is overrated. I’m not that impressed. 

If I were you I’d seriously consider keeping your 2011 and doing a Hemi swap. You obviously love it so why not give it a second life?

614D9075-1258-412D-9D05-10D3CC196603.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Raimie said:

Whoa... .check this out... looks familiar!

2020-jeep-gladiator-30.jpg

2020-jeep-gladiator-31.jpg

I saw this. Towing with boards on the rack and the Bimini up!  Lol

Towing is 7650 with the V6 and A8 tranny I think only in the sport plus trim.  

I agree with IXFE the pentestar is weak.

Edited by Cazan
  • Like 1

I think it will sell very well, so many people I know stay away from a Jeep due to the lack of towing capacity and lack of cargo space.  With this you can tow and remove the doors and top if you want, really pretty sweet.  I'm sure there will be a TON of aftermarket things made for the bed as far as storage/camping/etc.

With the 3.73 rear end in our 2014 JKU Sahara (auto trans) I find the Pentastar does everything I need - sand dunes, snow drifts, hill climbs, etc.  We are finally about out of rubber on our factory Bridgestones and I'll be moving from a 255/70/R18 to a BFG T/A K02 275/70/R18 and 1.5" wheel spacers, but I expect to see similar performance.

Stuck in the driveway.JPG

• Like 2
9 hours ago, IXFE said:

Jeep pricing has gotten rediculous, imho. 

You have a 2011, which is an odd year. You got the new JKU interior refresh, but missed the Pentestar motor by one year. I had a 2013 JKU Sport that I traded for a 2017 JKU Rubicon a couple years ago. I gotta say, I think the Pentestar is overrated. I’m not that impressed. 

If I were you I’d seriously consider keeping your 2011 and doing a Hemi swap. You obviously love it so why not give it a second life?

614D9075-1258-412D-9D05-10D3CC196603.jpeg

Time and money my friend... This would be so bad a** though. An additional issue here in Michigan is rust from salting our roads...our vehicles have a much shorter life span than in your neck of the woods...

The diesel is the old Ecodiesel from the Ram, but "refreshed". Not sure what that means but hopefully they get the bugs out of it. If that diesel were available with a 6spd manual, it would be a great combination, but I am quite sure diesel will get hooked to an auto.

1 minute ago, Raimie said:

......our vehicles have a much shorter life span than in your neck of the woods...

Fluid Film. I'm doing our annual coat this weekend.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

I think it will sell very well, so many people I know stay away from a Jeep due to the lack of towing capacity and lack of cargo space.  With this you can tow and remove the doors and top if you want, really pretty sweet.  I'm sure there will be a TON of aftermarket things made for the bed as far as storage/camping/etc.

With the 3.73 rear end in our 2014 JKU Sahara (auto trans) I find the Pentastar does everything I need - sand dunes, snow drifts, hill climbs, etc.  We are finally about out of rubber on our factory Bridgestones and I'll be moving from a 255/70/R18 to a BFG T/A K02 275/70/R18 and 1.5" wheel spacers, but I expect to see similar performance.

Stuck in the driveway.JPG

Pickup a set of rubicon take offs. You can get them from private sellers or AEV. Generally about 1000 bucks gets you 5 brand new tires and rubicon wheels. I did that in late '14 when I was due for new tires...bought a set of 5 for $950, sold my worn down set for $450 lol... Not a bad way to go!

1 hour ago, Raimie said:

Pickup a set of rubicon take offs. You can get them from private sellers or AEV. Generally about 1000 bucks gets you 5 brand new tires and rubicon wheels. I did that in late '14 when I was due for new tires...bought a set of 5 for $950, sold my worn down set for $450 lol... Not a bad way to go!

I thought of that, but the stock tire on the Rubi is 255/75/R17.  I'm looking for something a little taller and wider.  Although I do prefer the Rubi wheels over my tap&die ones.

Here's the best part - after the house remodel is thru, we buy my wife a different car (Audi A5, Jeep Grand Cherokee, or Chevy Traverse) and I'm selling the Jeep hard top and doors and going full canvas on everything.  I'm looking foward to removing the mall crawler feel and making that Jeep a Jeep.

1 hour ago, Ashjbrown said:

Michigan boarder, is that Bear Lake?

That is Shafer Lake in Lawrence Township, right at about the mile 49 mark along I-94.  Long narrow 81 acre lake, 80 feet deep.  Some of the best water around.

Not sure about the hate on the Pentastar. I’ve driven a number of them in sedans like the 300/Charger. I like the engine. 

That said, I think the EcoDiesel will be perfect. The new version is said to best the new 3.0 GM is using in their full sizes. That will be a torquey bad boy. 

Edited by RyanB

Yes.:Tease3:  It's all in the eye of the beholder, right?  There's a VW bug in the "recent purchase" thread that, objectively and by standard definition of car body lines, is an ugly car.  But it's beautiful to some though (myself included).

Have you ever been in one with the top and doors off?  Heck even with just the whole top off.

Ask hummer how successful their truck version was... Cool idea, not sure how much demand there will be for it. Although Toyota sells the heck out of an undersized truck in the Tacoma...and Jeep has a much larger following than hummer ever did. Won’t know if they don’t try, I wish them luck!

Edited by BlindSquirrel

I like the ability to take the doors and top off of a truck.  It's the reason I bought an avalanche.  It's awesome to open the windoows, sunroof, and put the mid-gate down when cruising down to the river.  Until the new Jeep truck, the avalanche was as close as you could get. 

42 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Ask hummer how successful their truck version was... Cool idea, not sure how much demand there will be for it. Although Toyota sells the heck out of an undersized truck in the Tacoma...and Jeep has a much larger following than hummer ever did. Won’t know if they don’t try, I wish them luck!

Can't say that is a fair comparison... 1

1. Is Hummer around anymore???? 
    1. The brand has failed as a whole
  2. The Hummer truck was not a full bed truck nor really a truck in sense. The bed was smaller than a compact trucks bed making it useless.
  3. Jeep trucks were in market place for a long time ending with the commanche and it is speculated that the commanche was dropped so it would not compete with the Dakota
  4. The Jeep is a full bed truck.
  5. Last, the market has been asking for it for years and it appears Jeep listened.