Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Solo boat launch no dock

Cole2001

43 minutes ago, dcarl said:

Don't you guys ever watch fishing shows?

This is what you need.  A bonus is between training sessions you could work the shoreline for bass.

This is sweet!   Just clamp one down on the platform and away we go. 

31 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Back to the OP's Q;  we moor offshore so you use a small Zodiac to get to it.  A cheap WalMart or Canadian Tire raft (40 bucks) and a quick inflator and you are good.  Inflate the raft and leave it in the boat.  Launch; drop anchor  and row in, taking a line with you (or those elastic things).  Park the truck/trailer and either row back out, or better yet can you leave the raft there on the anchor for later?

Yup I had that idea down, either raft/swim whichever seems most desirable. 

I should get one of those big inflatable swans or flamingos and keep it on the Bimini all day.    Pink flamingo surf school!:rofl:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Falko said:

I used to launch by myself. Two mushroom anchors and only ever got wet up to my knees.

Exactly what I wanted to know. Our lakes tend to drop off quickly so probably won’t be able to walk out. 

What size anchors, front and back?

By buddy uses a pulley for his fishing boat.  Line tied to the stern down to the anchor with a pulley. Drive close to shore, hop out hopefully no deeper than your knees.  Have a line on the bow to pay out while you pull the boat out with the stern line on the pulley.  It is not as simple as a buddy anchor but you don't get pulled around so much when you are by yourself.

16 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Exactly what I wanted to know. Our lakes tend to drop off quickly so probably won’t be able to walk out. 

What size anchors, front and back?

Two tens. Never had to deal with much wind though. 

Tie one of the 'shrooms to the rear cleat before launching. Set the other in the bow. Launch, pull the boat around the trailer and to where you want to "park" it. Throw the rear 'shroom into the water and leave enough line to pull the boat close to shore. Bump it in forward toward the beach, I'd usually keep about 8-12" under the bow, but becareful 'cause the mushroom anchors don't have a lot of hold power. Hop over the front, throw the front 'shroom up on shore and tie it snug to hold it in place. Go park. Once you get it down, it takes like 2 minutes to get the boat set where you want. Now, my old XTi had a shallow bow so I could easily jump off in the front and jump back up over the bow to get back in, hence water up to my knees. 

• Like 2

What @Falko said is exactly how I solo launched my previous bass boat countless times.  I did it the same way regardless if the ramp had a dock or not.  I don't like docks too many idiots.
Anchor size will depend on the boat size and how windy the launch can get. I had an 20lb Richter and a 12lb river anchor.

I don't beach my 'Bu so I'm not sure if the tracking fins hit before the bow does. But if the lake drops off fast and the shoreline is rocky.
I'd invest in one of these: https://keelguard.com/ the bass boat guys love them.

Bass boats have a very low bow and most have big steps on the trailer and tongue so its much easier to get off from the bow.  So the tricky part for you is going to be getting out of the boat when its on the trailer without swimming. Maybe a portable swim ladder or adding a trailer step will help.  You can dry land test this to see what works the best. I'd test the whole procedure with a friend a couple of times.

Best of luck to you on your new venture.

That video is exactly what we do most of the summer.  Except I anchor from the bow and back in.  Step into knee deep water and let the boat go out.  Keeping the bow facing the incoming waves.  I do have a box anchor though.  It has never moved and I don't have an anchor chain.  90% of the time we are on a soft bottom though so no need with the box anchor.

20150817_133951.jpg

• Like 2