Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Solo boat launch no dock

Cole2001

So as the title says, launching boat with no dock alone... Ya sounds as bad as it is.  Possibly starting up a small school next summer on a couple different local lakes and there will be times I’m heading out to the lake on my own, so therefore needing to launch the boat. 

We’ve got a pretty small town vide around our lakes so most don’t have a dock next to the ramp. Obviously I’m not gonna beach a basically brand new boat with black gel on rocks. 

So that leaves my only option being to anchor and swim in. I was kinda thinking have a ghetto weight anchor that could hold the boat for like ten minuets max. I know the box anchors are legit but you have to make sure they set properly and that takes time. That makes me thinking to just get something like a 30lb kettle ball and tossing it over the transom, am I just asking for trouble or do you think that would hold in super light wind? I could go heavier but then you’re risking having trouble pulling it up. 

I have seen folding grapnel anchors up to 15 lbs or so that would probably hold for the 10 minutes This would probably be better than a kettle ball. Attach an Anchor Buddy to it and you may not have to do much swimming, especially if you take a stern line with you to shore. 

59 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

I was kinda thinking have a ghetto weight anchor that could hold the boat for like ten minuets max. I know the box anchors are legit but you have to make sure they set properly and that takes time.

Unless you're in a serious gale they literally take zero time to "set up."  Chuck it overboard, hit reverse to set it, swim away...

3 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Unless you're in a serious gale they literally take zero time to "set up."  Chuck it overboard, hit reverse to set it, swim away...

Good to know. Definitely don’t have much experience with them. Research time. 

Second idea would be to leave a permanent anchor close by and just tie up to it. Only tricky part at times is getting lined up to it in order to reach down and grab it. 

Trying not to be that guy who takes forever at the ramp, hate those guys. lol. This whole idea is still just up in the air, so there are many possibilities on what is left to happen 

If you're going to the same place every time I'd get a permanent anchor buoy if you can.  Worst case use a boat hook if you're having trouble getting lined up perfectly in a wind. 

Also, I should say for the record that there is a small ~5 second "set up" for the box anchor, assuming you're collapsing it each time for storage, but as far as water use just chuck it in and set it with a soft tug in reverse if you feel the need.  I've had 2 other boats tied up with me in a decent wind and it works very well.

• Like 3

If it's a busy ramp ask the guy in line behind u to help.  They could park your truck and lock the keys inside. You'd need another set of keys or a ford.  If it's not busy who cares how long you take. 

23 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

If it's a busy ramp ask the guy in line behind u to help.  They could park your truck and lock the keys inside. You'd need another set of keys or a ford.  If it's not busy who cares how long you take. 

Yea for sure. Unlike all you guys down south it doesn’t get crazy busy expect for weekends. just a single lane ramp too.

id much perfer to run a school on my home lake where I’ve got a boat slip and everything right there. But an hours drive away is where all the lake homes and water sports take place, so makes much more sense.

4 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

I know the box anchors are legit but you have to make sure they set properly and that takes time. 

Box anchors are legit!  I’ve literally never once had to set the anchor.  Just throw it in with an anchor buddy and you are all good. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

You're a brave man for a variety of reasons ;) 

23 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

As long as your bottom is not rock, a box anchor sets itself really easily as long as you are not using way too much rope.   Never heard of an anchor buddy, had to look it up.  My box anchor works fine with regular rope.

The anchor buddy is a bungee that allows you to set the anchor, then move a little closer in.  Once you jump off, you take a second line with you and you can "pay out" the rope/boat away from shore just a little bit, avoiding a full-on swim back and forth.

8 minutes ago, dcarl said:

Don't you guys ever watch fishing shows?

This is what you need.  A bonus is between training sessions you could work the shoreline for bass.

Or mount you some power poles to the bow and transom, it would hold the boat in place.  Maybe even design the transom one strong enough to be used as a tow point lol!

Make sure you get the one that includes that optional tough guy look too, you certainly don't want to launch your boat with a smile or a "Whattsup guys, good luck out there today".  Is that made by Mastercraft?

17 minutes ago, dcarl said:

This is what you need.  A bonus is between training sessions you could work the shoreline for bass.

That is cool!

38 minutes ago, dcarl said:

A buddy of mine has one of these (or a similar brand).  Pretty amazing, actually.  Plot a course around an island, underwater outcrop or stay in one spot and the thing  does it.  Very cool little interface to it as well.

Back to the OP's Q;  we moor offshore so you use a small Zodiac to get to it.  A cheap WalMart or Canadian Tire raft (40 bucks) and a quick inflator and you are good.  Inflate the raft and leave it in the boat.  Launch; drop anchor  and row in, taking a line with you (or those elastic things).  Park the truck/trailer and either row back out, or better yet can you leave the raft there on the anchor for later?