Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bungee dock lines

BraapinBogie

New to me Malibu owner here. I'm stocking up on gear while the deals are good and wanted to see feedback on bungee style dock lines. Boat came with a few lines but not enough and not decent quality so I plan on getting 4-6 20 footers for tying up and see that these new bungee dock lines are pretty common (for docking) and wanted to hear people's feedback on if they are useful. If so, what brands are best? 

Thanks for the help, Matt.

Edited by BraapinBogie
Clarification

Matt,

I have 2 20' and 2 25' foot lines plus a 50' (just in case)....   I try to use the 20' but often end up where the 25 is a better fit.   Its an "interesting" day when the 50 needs to come out.  

I've used the rubber "Snubbers" for 20 years.  I have them tied into all my dock and general mooring lines.  I also like that they are not part of the line as I wonder about the bungee lines snapping (but I  do not have personal experience with bungee dock lines).  These really take the snap out of lines getting taunt.   For an example of one google:  Dock Edge + Inc. 1/2-3/4-Inch Boat Mooring Snubber.   Match the size of the snubber to the size of your lines.  

Separately I also really enjoy having just a bit oversized fenders.  It seems to me most boats have small ones that just don't seem to protect a boat.  They are very nice when boats start bouncing.  I have a slightly smaller boat than yours and still went with the 8.5 x 20" of the following:     Taylor Made 959520 Super Guard Inflatable Vinyl Fender - Teal, 8.5" x 20"

And for those excessive days at the CB Sandbar (especially where towers can bump if boats are side tied)...  I like the Exile Buoy Ball Fender.  You can find online and/or at Bakes.  I usually tie these midpoint on my tower to protect mine and the tower on the boat next to mine.  

I also after-market added "mid boat" pop-up cleats.  These have been extremely useful as they are much better positioned than the factory cleats were attached to my SLXI.

Happy Boating!

Keith

Personally, I don't like the bungee dock lines.  I prefer to use normal dock lines and leave my chosen amount of slack in the line.  If find the bungie lines to be too relaxed.  I would suggest you buy regular lines.

• Like 2

I like the bungees and use them all the time, mostly when tied to a dock. I typically use a regular line on the bow with oversized bumper around the tower. I then use the bungee on the stern and that's it.. I will say I would porb not use this setup outside of a no-wake zone. I also have one bungee, prob a 6 footer that I have a bumper tied to that I throw around my ski pylon if I need a bumper in the back. It saves me from spending the time tying one up to a cleat and its the perfect length to hang right on the rub rail, use this one more than any other bungee.

19 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

I also have one bungee, prob a 6 footer that I have a bumper tied to that I throw around my ski pylon if I need a bumper in the back. It saves me from spending the time tying one up to a cleat and its the perfect length to hang right on the rub rail, use this one more than any other bungee.

Great idea!, I hope I remember this, when my season starts.
I use bungees all the time,  mine are just cheat ones from Overtons.

Bungee’s are great for short term docking at the ski club or wherever but not for long term when not around. If being super quick I’ll wrap one around the tower and back down to the dock and they work perfectly.  I would also recommend some big bumper balls. BABz or exile work good. 

Not sure if you have a boat slip but I know of people using them to center their boats in the middle. Doing this I would also want to use some other added backup lines. 

As with many things it depends on the situation.  In a calm area yeper!  If in a area you will see rough water I want to be the controller so no bungees for me in that area. 

I use them for a quick tie up just like everyone else.  My boat is smaller but one off the center pylon and one off the rear center tow point + a couple bumpers usually works great for shore term/non-unattended parking.  Typically getting gas or picking someone up from the dock,  if it is calm enough i may even only use the center pylon - all depends on the situation.

For longer/over night tie ups, I will use real dock line and plenty of bumpers just like everyone else suggests.

I use bungee lines at one of the regular lakes I go to because the docking area has huge wood pilings along the dock...just works well with the bungee lines.  At a traditional dock with cleats I stick with regular dock lines.