Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black MXZ

Waketime16

I plan on ordering a 2019 MXZ and considering mostly black for the exterior. It looks great in the picture, however, I wanted to get thoughts on it. 

Other than easily showing dirt and scum/waterline, has anyone had any additional experience, pro or con with a black boat? 

My boat is partially black on the bottom.  As long as it's kept clean and wiped down after use, it will be fine.  Be sure to have a good coat of wax or sealant, whichever your preference, and it will look amazing.  I'm looking at adding to the fleet right now and a black boat is in the lead.  I say go for it. 

post-10400-0-85866800-1398312920_thumb.jpg

I have a black hull with red it is jaw dropping beautiful. It is my 2nd boat with the same color scheme.  Who cares about wiping down... etc. We all do that anyway, regardless of the color.

Edited by carguy79ta

i have pretty much an all black boat. No different taking care of it vs any other color. Your going to wipe it down anyway. I also don't find it that hard to take care of.. And nothing looks as nice as black in the end. 

I went from a mostly white boat to a mostly black boat. To be honest the black shows water spots a lot more, especially when its hot and the water is dirty. Its the price you pay for being non-traditional but I think black looks awesome.  +1 on the go for it.
Like stated above a good wipe down cleans it right up but wiping it down on a lift could be tough.
Note the wet driveway, she just got a bath.:biggrin: 

29995.thumb.jpeg.512250f4a456f9e9dcccc15f7cace535.jpeg

• Like 3

I had a boat with a large black side panel and felt like it showed every little swirl and scratch that may have been from something as trivial as a dirty rag.  Better waxing and polishing would have cleared it right up, but I won't do it again for that reason.  

Despite those who think that their black defies laws of physics, the black portion on my boat that was on top of the rubrail became hotter than heck in the sun, to the point of being untouchable.  If I were in the market for a boat, and saw black above the rubrail, I would just click next.  

I agree that nothing looks better than a clean black boat.  The fact that you asked the question proves that some people will not do a black boat, so resale market is smaller, and it will either take longer to sell or go for less.  

My boat is mostly black, and if you want to avoid the dirt and water spot issues ceramic coat it.  WE haven't really ran into any heat issues with it and we had it at lake powell mid august where it avg'd 105 everyday

IMG_0021_zpstfqdzcps.jpg

• Like 2

Black is definitely a sick colour. Water spots are way worse and much more noticeable. If you aren’t cautious scratches will show as gel coat underneath is white. I have noticed the black doesn’t show the yellow scum line like how the white does. 

Personally id take a black boat any day. 

My last 3 Malibu's were mostly Black and the way my crew helps me wipe it down  before we leave the ramp makes all the difference in the world, I sold my 2015 last year and it looked better then one right from the factory,  My 2018 23 LSV has my first Black Hull and it has been easier then I thought it would Be!31326892102137147681.jpg  27072430102130000268.jpg

Edited by Wakesetter67
  • Like 2

My 2018 LSV is mostly black, and my 2017 VLX had even more black.  As others have said, I don’t think anything looks better then a clean black boat.  For the most part, I don’t have any issue keeping it clean and looking good.  I wipe down with boat bling after every outing, and always have a good polish and seal on her.   One thing I did this year that I regret is having black on the inside portion of the boat.  It’s hard to keep clean and shows lots of scratches.  My 2017 had Light Graphite in the interior, and it always looked great. If I were you, I’d avoid black on the interior gel coat. 

Edited by SCMike
39 minutes ago, SCMike said:

My 2018 LSV is mostly black, and my 2017 VLX had even more black.  As others have said, I don’t think anything looks better then a clean black boat.  For the most part, I don’t have any issue keeping it clean and looking good.  I wipe down with boat bling after every outing, and always have a good polish and seal on her.   One thing I did this year that I regret is having black on the inside portion of the boat.  It’s hard to keep clean and shows lots of scratches.  My 2017 had Light Graphite in the interior, and it always looked great. If I were you, I’d avoid black on the interior gel coat. 

Another option for concerns with the hot black gelcoat top deck and interior scratching is to get full Gatorstep on the inside and deck. It covered pretty much anything that was exposed on my '18, and was cooler to the touch than the lighter colored vinyl seats.

Overall, I spent a bit more time keeping my black areas clean than I did on my previous mostly white boat, but it wasn't enough extra time in the sun on the ramp to keep me from doing it again.

On 11/28/2018 at 4:55 PM, CJAY said:

My boat is mostly black, and if you want to avoid the dirt and water spot issues ceramic coat it.  WE haven't really ran into any heat issues with it and we had it at lake powell mid august where it avg'd 105 everyday

IMG_0021_zpstfqdzcps.jpg

That looks stellar.  

• Like 2

Good to hear for me as well that black is not terrible to maintain.  We are ordering our first black hull this year and I'm worried about the maintenance.  Typically we don't wipe down the underside of the hull which we will have to start doing now.  Glad my kids are getting older and can make themselves useful now!

Mostly black boat since 2006....always wiped down with vinegar/water mix and micro fiber towels since new.  The gel looks as good as the day I brought it home.  I usually put a coat of wax on it (Jescar power lock sealant now after being turned on to it by another member here) in the spring and that's about it .  I guess it depends on where you boat but for me it has been no big deal.  I say go for it.  I also have a black truck and love it.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:56 AM, Waketime16 said:

I plan on ordering a 2019 MXZ and considering mostly black for the exterior. It looks great in the picture, however, I wanted to get thoughts on it. 

Other than easily showing dirt and scum/waterline, has anyone had any additional experience, pro or con with a black boat? 

Did you order it?  I saw an all-black boat in final prep today during my factory tour.