Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis get ramed by a pontoon

SCMike

ahopkins22LSV

I saw that too! I can’t believe they didn’t turn around right away, no way that didn’t do damage. Almost looks to be a Tommy’s stocker on the side of the axis. 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX
17 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Almost looks to be a Tommy’s stocker on the side of the axis. 

Good eye!  I think you are right.   I’m surprised things didn’t turn ugly.  I used to do a lot of riding at the delta, and something like this would have turned violent real quick. 

I hate seeing people in that situation, the driver must feel absolutely awful.  Looks like there is a kid in the pontoon boat too.  Just a difficult situation to watch.  I'm sure that Axis came back around after he felt the pontoon driver was safe and/or powered down.

On 11/28/2018 at 4:48 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

I saw that too! I can’t believe they didn’t turn around right away, no way that didn’t do damage. Almost looks to be a Tommy’s stocker on the side of the axis. 

Do they put that on all boats or does that mean its a demo boat?

The Axis driver did a nice job counter steering out of that and avoiding the other pontoon that was just taking off.

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, G Spot said:

Do they put that on all boats or does that mean its a demo boat?

The Axis driver did a nice job counter steering out of that and avoiding the other pontoon that was just taking off.

I’ve never seen one in that location. Might be a demo boat. Looks like Florida so I can’t really follow up lol. I don’t want to call my guys and ask them to call the Florida store to have them ask if they know about the T22 to got hit by a pontoon that qualifiedcaptain posted on IG :rofl:

22 hours ago, G Spot said:

^^^^ That was my thought too...in pretty tight spaces and under a lot of stress!

10 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Hard to tell for sure, but did the pontoon even hit the axis?  I don't see anything in the video that looks like an impact

I was more tuned into the aftermath of the pontoon.  The pontoon driver backs up and almost completely squares up to the dock and rams it.  Almost looks like full throttle.  You can see the passenger kid get tossed back when the driver hammered the throttle and hit the dock.  It would be interesting to get the full story.

Edited by Hemmy

The Pontoon driver had to be impaired or is just stupid, either way he had no business being behind the wheel.  He hit the Axis then paused and ramed the dock.  He was either at idle or WFO. As for those laughing, I don't see the humor. 

One of my friends has a Malibu and a pontoon. The wife is very confident driving the Malibu, backing the trailer, etc. but incredibly uncomfortable operating the pontoon. She basically refuses to drive it after a bad experience loading it a few years back. 

All that to say, the video is pretty grainy but it looks like a woman driving to me. Seems like inexperience or some type of mechanical issue could be at play. 

Hopefully no-one was hurt... imagine if someone in the bow of the Axis had their hand hanging over the rubrail.

2 minutes ago, G Spot said:

One of my friends has a Malibu and a pontoon. The wife is very confident driving the Malibu, backing the trailer, etc. but incredibly uncomfortable operating the pontoon. She basically refuses to drive it after a bad experience loading it a few years back. 

All that to say, the video is pretty grainy but it looks like a woman driving to me. Seems like inexperience or some type of mechanical issue could be at play. 

Hopefully no-one was hurt... imagine if someone in the bow of the Axis had their hand hanging over the rubrail.

almost looks like a shift linkage issue or something.  It seems like it went into and out of gear with the RPMs up.

The mechanical issue might be housed between the ears of the driver.  Pontoons are so easy to drive if you don't have wind. No  doubt she will be graduating to a jet ski very soon. 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Falko said:

watching the driver the whole time, looks like complete inexperience

Maybe a rental? Most around are a mobile billboards though.  I always point them out "see that guy driving the last time he drove a boat was ... never!":biggrin:
A lesson from my drivers ed teacher I haven't forgot in 35+ years. He pointed to a Uhaul but it still applies.

1 minute ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Can’t drink all day unless you start in the morning. 

I think it was former President Jimmy Carter's mom who once said "I never drink before 5 PM - mind you, some days I move the clock ahead!"  :)

• Like 1