Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Uriah adjustable drop hitch

jrvs23

Anyone use a uriah adjustable hitch? Farm and fleet has a 6" drop/6.75" rise hitch on sale for black friday for $90. Looking for a replacement on my current adjustable which is getting sloppy.

I have the B & W tow & stow.  I know old jeep doesn't like them, but they have been flawless for me.  A buddy who does construction and tows a trailer every day uses one as well.  They are extremely well built.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/tow-stow-adjustable-ball-mount

Edited by RyanB

I realized I dont need the adjustable hitch anymore. I dont need to move the prop protector up to pop a curb for storage and back down to level trailering like I did at my old house. I just need a solid draw bar and I'll be good. So much cheaper. I'll keep the old adjustable for light weight utility trailering etc. 

On 11/23/2018 at 11:28 PM, RyanB said:

I have the B & W tow & stow.  I know old jeep doesn't like them, but they have been flawless for me.  A buddy who does construction and tows a trailer every day uses one as well.  They are extremely well built.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/tow-stow-adjustable-ball-mount

I am really likes that.  My new truck has a Class V so I need to upgrade to a 2.5".  Lots of good reviews on it too.

My concern is corrosion on the chrome components being exposed to the elements year round. 

2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I am really likes that.  My new truck has a Class V so I need to upgrade to a 2.5".  Lots of good reviews on it too.

My concern is corrosion on the chrome components being exposed to the elements year round. 

The chrome will be fine.  The issue will be the shank rusting into your receiver if you leave it in all the time.  That is why I run an aluminum hitch.

Edited by oldjeep
13 hours ago, oldjeep said:

The chrome will be fine.  The issue will be the shank rusting into your receiver if you leave it in all the time.  That is why I run an aluminum hitch.

I think that has a lot to do with where you live and how they treat the roads in the winter.  If you are in an area where rusty cars are common, it very well could be an issue.

I have run mine in my truck since 2012, and it still looks like new (granted, my truck is a garage queen).  But my buddy runs one as well.  He is in construction, and uses his truck and hitch every day, and his B&W is in as good of shape as mine is.

Before he switched, he had the Rapid Hitch, and wore it out.  Got so loose that when he ran a trailer that would use the ball for a ground, the trailer lights would not work (they did work with another draw bar).  Also, his words, it became so loose that it felt unsafe.

I like the B&W.  

4 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I think that has a lot to do with where you live and how they treat the roads in the winter.  If you are in an area where rusty cars are common, it very well could be an issue.

I have run mine in my truck since 2012, and it still looks like new (granted, my truck is a garage queen).  But my buddy runs one as well.  He is in construction, and uses his truck and hitch every day, and his B&W is in as good of shape as mine is.

Before he switched, he had the Rapid Hitch, and wore it out.  Got so loose that when he ran a trailer that would use the ball for a ground, the trailer lights would not work (they did work with another draw bar).  Also, his words, it became so loose that it felt unsafe.

I like the B&W.  

Couple things

1) Yup, we have winter - my truck sits outside in it 24/7

2) If your buddies lights didn't work then his wiring is screwed up and he is relying on a ground path through the ball - no Bueno

Like everything else, opinions vary.  My Rapid hitch is about 16 years old and fits tight

Edited by oldjeep
4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Couple things

1) Yup, we have winter - my truck sits outside in it 24/7

2) If your buddies lights didn't work then his wiring is screwed up and he is relying on a ground path through the ball - no Bueno

Like everything else, opinions vary.  My Rapid hitch is about 16 years old and fits tight

Couple things

1) It isn't winter that is the problem.  It is the corrosive additives that the state/local municipalities put on the roads that is the problem.  Not all areas use the same crap.  It is extremely rare to see a vehicle with rust in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and the like.  Areas like Iowa, Nebraska and Minnesota use stuff that is bad for metal.  And it shows (I'd never buy a used vehicle from one of those states).  If you live here, aluminum would work best, especially if you don't plan to wash your car after the snow.

2) The lights weren't a big deal.  Putting a proper ground on the trailer would solve that problem.  It would not solve the problem that the hitch feels loose and unsafe.

Glad the Rapid Hitch works for you.  It is not the only solution.  And for many, it is not the best solution.

On 11/22/2018 at 4:56 PM, jrvs23 said:

Anyone use a uriah adjustable hitch? Farm and fleet has a 6" drop/6.75" rise hitch on sale for black friday for $90. Looking for a replacement on my current adjustable which is getting sloppy.

IDK if this would help you or not, I added one last year and it eliminated movement and rattle.

20 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I'm fine pulling it in the fall/winter when I wouldn't be towing (there is a thick layer of salt on our roads now, as fall forgot to come this year).  I've found my last 3 chrome hitch balls have all rusted extensively.  My last one spent zero time in the salty weather and maybe 50% of the time in spring/summer/fall weather.  2 years of use and it looks like total hell.

10 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I'm fine pulling it in the fall/winter when I wouldn't be towing (there is a thick layer of salt on our roads now, as fall forgot to come this year).  I've found my last 3 chrome hitch balls have all rusted extensively.  My last one spent zero time in the salty weather and maybe 50% of the time in spring/summer/fall weather.  2 years of use and it looks like total hell.

It really depends on the quality of the ball chrome or some are stainless.  The B&W ought to have good balls on it.

If you take it out then I can't imagine it matters much.  I tow less in the winter, but still need it occasionally for pulling cargo or snowmobile trailers.  Would rather leave it in as a bumper guard than have a 20lb hunk of metal loose inside the cab.

Edited by oldjeep
11 hours ago, RyanB said:

I like the B&W.  

I am on my second B&W. Being in construction I use it daily with different trailers. That is what is nice about the Stow and Go. After 13 years I wore out my first B&W. I purchased a new one and use the old one on the trucks that don’t tow as much. Although I am probably going to toss it soon. I tow from 1500-12,000 pounds pretty much daily. The first one went for 13 years and probably close to 250k miles towing. With the recession I probably towed my enclosed trailer 40k one year. I put 50k on my truck that year. And if you use it enough it should move it around to break the rust loose. 

I've been looking at B&W turnover underbed gooseneck and Blue ox sway pro. They have a huge difference in price but I'm unsure about the ride quality. Any feedback on those products? I've read some comparison reviews between the 2 and some say the latter is worth the step up in price.