Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diamond versus wake hull (newbie)

ChrisSlade

I am currently in the process of trying to find a VTX say 17 or newer with zero hours etc. Recently sold a Yamaha jetboat, before that I was into bass boats. We are recreational skiers, there is a course on the lake and my son does take lessons he is 11, I am 42, and I've been on a slalom ski for only two summers. So what I think I want is a VTX with diamond hull, but can't really find one in my area (eastern Canada). There are two 2018s available (new) with wake hulls. The question is would I regret buying a wake hull? I started surfing last season and enjoyed it, I don't really wake board, but I am sure my son will, and we'll both for sure still slalom ski. Does this usage mean a wake hull is long term a bad idea? We'd probably hold onto the boat for at least 8 years, so far we are only averaging 35 hours a season on the boat.

ahopkins22LSV

I’m 99% sure the new generation only comes in the 3D diamond hull. When we were thinking of ordering an 18 I think it was the only option and when we ended up ordering a 19 it was the only option. 

Do you have links to the board for sale?

Nice video's pretty much exactly what I want to do with the boat. Thanks for looking. I think that decal on the back looks like a 3d decal in the pictures, but I wasn't really sure. And I agree I don't know if there is a wake VTX for 2018. The dealer saying in the description "wake hull" is what was messing me up.

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, ChrisSlade said:

Nice video's pretty much exactly what I want to do with the boat. Thanks for looking. I think that decal on the back looks like a 3d decal in the pictures, but I wasn't really sure. And I agree I don't know if there is a wake VTX for 2018. The dealer saying in the description "wake hull" is what was messing me up.

It’s probably just a typo. I’m sure most of their other Wakesetters are wake hulls and it could be as simple as copy and paste error. 

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:58 AM, ChrisSlade said:

I am currently in the process of trying to find a VTX say 17 or newer with zero hours etc. Recently sold a Yamaha jetboat, before that I was into bass boats. We are recreational skiers, there is a course on the lake and my son does take lessons he is 11, I am 42, and I've been on a slalom ski for only two summers. So what I think I want is a VTX with diamond hull, but can't really find one in my area (eastern Canada). There are two 2018s available (new) with wake hulls. The question is would I regret buying a wake hull? I started surfing last season and enjoyed it, I don't really wake board, but I am sure my son will, and we'll both for sure still slalom ski. Does this usage mean a wake hull is long term a bad idea? We'd probably hold onto the boat for at least 8 years, so far we are only averaging 35 hours a season on the boat.

I saw on Ski-it-again web site. There is a used 2018 VTX for sale in Ohio for 76K. Might be worth having shipped or pull home to Canada??

76K USD will be about $110K CAD by the time you get it across the border.  Thre are not a lot of VTX's for sale out west, but there are some.  Just curious - why buy a wake/surf boat if you are skiers??  You can board the heck out of a Response (Wedge) for instance, and even surf it.

Buying a boat from the US is harder than you think. It’s easy to bring it across but getting financing from an American bank is hard and now with the tariffs im not sure how that works. 

Here is a new 17 https://www.swsmarinesaskatoon.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=3582840&p=1&s=Year&d=A&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

2018 TXI just to consider if you’re a skier. 

https://www.swsmarinesaskatoon.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=4639870&p=1&s=Year&d=A&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

now with the tariffs im not sure how that works

AFAIK the 10% tariff on US made boats is added to the  converted CAD cost.  So like 10 grand CAD onto that 76K USD boat!  That is why  a lot of boats were sent over the border before the tariffs took place July 1st.

19 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

AFAIK the 10% tariff on US made boats is added to the  converted CAD cost.  So like 10 grand CAD onto that 76K USD boat!  That is why  a lot of boats were sent over the border before the tariffs took place July 1st.

Yup, stupid. Thankfully some manufactures are helping pay it. 

Yeap buying across the border is tough, the Canadian dollar value is currently low, and the tariff.... makes it hard. The U.S. boat needs to be really priced low. If the dollar was closer to par then it would be totally different.

I started surfing this summer behind a Response and really enjoyed it. And I like those boats. Really we are looking for an SUV boat, kind of a one boat to do everything. I think the Response is pretty much the opposite of that, a dedicated ski boat. Sure you can add the wedge and a tower, and the Response I surfed behind had that set up, and I really like that boat. The direct drive set-up is a little hard to adjust from coming from a jet boat.

I picked up a 13 VLX diamond hull this year and we are in a very similar situation, family wise, as you. Does everything we want it to do. Maybe doesn’t have all the dash technology but still gets the job done with surfgate for surfing and skiing the wake is good enough for what I wanted. Just a thought. We got it for 65k as well.

Aaron

Edited by Elkinsa
  • 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, ChrisSlade said:

Hey guys, thanks for the help I bought a 17 VTX (new) last week. Joining the Malibu club, and looking forward to spring to get on the water.

That can only mean one thing... it's photo time!!!

• Like 2