Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone close to, or know of a good service center in Billings, MT?

Fish209

Looks like I'm still on the hunt for a boat. Found a 2009 Wakesetter VLX that looks great. Working with the seller to see if we can agree on a price assuming things check out. I obviously would need to get the boat checked out from a trusted 3rd party.

When I google it, I come up with Big Sky Boat Service , but I know nothing about them. Does anyone know anything about them?

Does anyone know of a good certified Malibu service center near the Billings, MT area? Or know any individuals in the area that know these boats well enough to perform an inspection (I'm willing to pay)?

Thanks all!!!

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

what went wrong with the oklahoma boat?

There was some miscommunication on where the boat was (his house vs a lake house hours away) and now we haven't been able to coordinate a time/place for an inspection. Now I haven't been able to reach the seller so it doesn't seem like he's as motivated to coordinate the inspection which is a deal breaker for me. Maybe he has another buyer?

11 minutes ago, Fish209 said:

There was some miscommunication on where the boat was (his house vs a lake house hours away) and now we haven't been able to coordinate a time/place for an inspection. Now I haven't been able to reach the seller so it doesn't seem like he's as motivated to coordinate the inspection which is a deal breaker for me. Maybe he has another buyer?

I don't wanna say you are doing this wrong, but... for a first boat especially, you personally need to lay eyes on it.  While a mechanic's inspection may (MAY) be helpful, there are things you are going to see that a mechanic won't.  Cosmetic things.  Details.  

Also on an older boat like this, a water test is a must (how many "my boat bogs out under load" threads are there?) . 

I'm definitely a deal hunter myself, so I understand the chase.  But once you factor in shipping, paying a mechanic, the risk of not water testing a boat from the great white north, and the risk of not seeing the boat in person first, that "deal" may not be the deal you think it is.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2

Thanks shawndoggy! I feel a trusted tech will be much better to evaluate the boat than I ever could be. I'm more concerned with how the boat is mechanically, then cosmetically (as long as interior is in good condition). I should be able to see any major issues in appearance in pictures. I was planning on a lake test with the one in Oklahoma.

Are you saying I should not be looking out of state? Without opening the door to those boats, I'd be pretty limited in options (and prices are higher in Northern CA). There is a 2007 Mastercraft X15 close to me, but I have been leaning towards a Wakesetter VLX or LSV.

As a "for instance": I wouldn't tow a boat home from Montana to CA right now.  I'd want it completely covered and put on a trailer so you don't end up destroying the gel towing on sanded roads.

4 minutes ago, Fish209 said:

Thanks shawndoggy! I feel a trusted tech will be much better to evaluate the boat than I ever could be. I'm more concerned with how the boat is mechanically, then cosmetically (as long as interior is in good condition). I should be able to see any major issues in appearance in pictures. I was planning on a lake test with the one in Oklahoma.

believe me this is not true.  

At the VERY least, you should be asking every seller to walk the boat and send high res photos of EVERY defect.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't look out of state, but I am saying you shouldn't shop where you aren't willing to lay eyes on the boat.  Your eyes.

• Like 3

If you are looking in Montana, you might as well cross the border into Canada and take advantage of the US-Cad rate (like 33%!)  Lots of dealers in Southern BC or Alberta that will happily sell you a boat and  ship it on a trailer to you, all shrink-wrapped.

19 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

As a "for instance": I wouldn't tow a boat home from Montana to CA right now.  I'd want it completely covered and put on a trailer so you don't end up destroying the gel towing on sanded roads.

Thanks shawndoggy. I hadn't even thought of weather issues towing the boat from Montana to CA right now. IF...things worked out with this one, I would have to look at options to protect it when getting in back to CA. Thanks for bring this up!

2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

If you are looking in Montana, you might as well cross the border into Canada and take advantage of the US-Cad rate (like 33%!)  Lots of dealers in Southern BC or Alberta that will happily sell you a boat and  ship it on a trailer to you, all shrink-wrapped.

I would be open to this :)

What dealers with a good selection of used VLX's or LSV's should I look at?

• 1 month later...

Well, I took the plunge. After working with a great seller (not sure this would of worked buying out of state without a cooperative seller) and having it checked out by a certified dealership, then re-winterized, I purchased this 2009 Wakesetter VLX!

It arrived Friday night and I spent most of Saturday cleaning it up from the trip (sure was filthy after the trip from MT to CA). It's looking good now. I took the first pic Saturday after I finished cleaning it up. The second pic on the water is from the previous owner this past summer.

IMG_7077.JPG

09 VLX - Water.jpg

I also want to thank so many of you for ALL the great advice helping me choose the right boat. Buying a boat in the winter sure saves some $$$, but the downside is you gottta wait for the weather to warm up before you can start enjoying it.   At least the days are now officially getting shorter and shorter so each day we get closer to Spring.

Edited by Fish209
3 hours ago, Fish209 said:

Buying a boat in the winter sure saves some $$$, but the downside is you gottta wait for the weather to warm up before you can start enjoying it.   At least the days are now officially getting shorter and shorter so each day we get closer to Spring.

NICE.  If that's your storage, I'd say you get all winter to do your mods!

Yeah, That's my new boat's home for the winter :).

And yes, I have some "projects" on my list before the Spring rolls around.

1.) Fix a couple small chips in the gel coat in the hull near the bow. Just cosmetic, but from what I've seen, it should be an easy DIY fix.

2.) Swap out both rear/sun deck seat cushions. They have some odd looking stains that just stand out (not in a good way).

3.) Fix ballast pump - During the pre-purchase inspection, it was found one of the rear ballast pumps wasn't draining.

4.) Upgrade Ballast - I got the WakeMakers piggyback ballast upgrade system to install.

5.) Swap out the factory prop to a new one better for surfing. I already purchased (and have) an ACME 2247, but trying to decide if I should exchange it for a different one.

I knew about these projects on my list from pictures/videos from the seller (rear seat cushions, and chips in gel coat), or what turned up in the pre-inspection (rear ballast pump not draining). Luckily, there weren't any surprises when the boat arrived! Hopefully I don't encounter any surprises when the Spring gets here and I get it in the water!

Thanks for all the advice shawndoggy!