Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Changing the Fuel Filter

CarveItUp228

I have searched and searched, but have not seen a thread dedicated to finding and changing the fuel filter. I have a 2018 Malibu 21VLX and this is my first winterizing of the boat. The engine manual calls for changing out the fuel filter annually. I bought the spec'd part. Finally found the unit - in a ridiculously hard to reach spot. Had to remove all the panels on the starboard side, the back seat, and then take apart part of the exhaust system. And even then it was very challenging to reach and get a wrench on. Putting in the new one was even tougher. Do you guys change this thing every year? Is there a trick to this? I have not seen it like this on previously owned boats, although those were not Malibus.

Thanks

3 hours ago, CarveItUp228 said:

I have searched and searched, but have not seen a thread dedicated to finding and changing the fuel filter. I have a 2018 Malibu 21VLX and this is my first winterizing of the boat. The engine manual calls for changing out the fuel filter annually. I bought the spec'd part. Finally found the unit - in a ridiculously hard to reach spot. Had to remove all the panels on the starboard side, the back seat, and then take apart part of the exhaust system. And even then it was very challenging to reach and get a wrench on. Putting in the new one was even tougher. Do you guys change this thing every year? Is there a trick to this? I have not seen it like this on previously owned boats, although those were not Malibus.

Thanks

What engine?

Edited by dalt1
  • 1 year later...

Did you ever find an easier way to access the fuel filter?  I have the same engine and am having the same difficulty accessing the filter to replace it.  I noticed there are disconnects on the metal fuel lines at the fuel rail up top and near the transmission at the bottom.  I am thinking it might be easier to disconnect the lines there, loosen the bracket holding the filter, and slide the entire piece out in order to replace the filter.

• 3 years later...