Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone with a 2014 LS3 have a hot water shower?

atropine

I'm looking for a little help with the overall concept of how to tap into my system for a hot water shower install.  I picked up a 2014 Axis A24 earlier this year and it has a heater, but no shower.  The engine is the Marine Power LS3, and it appears that Marine Power only built the LS3 for one year for Malibu/Axis.  The owner's manual states that it has a half-closed cooling system.  So I can't just tap into the block drain plug for hot water.  I'm wondering how you get hot water for the shower?  I'm at work right now and would like to do a little research while I am here.  I haven't even really cared to look at all the connections until now because I don't need to winterize my boat (heated shop, southern Nevada). 

The starboard side exhaust manifold has this little blue drain plug in the bottom of the elbow.  What if I removed the drain plug and added a fitting to draw the hot water supply for the shower from here?

8F9E2C42-F346-4191-B290-7B64B4721DFD.jpeg

That looks like a plausible place to take some hot water for a shower. 

The only thing I would worry about is starving the manifold while you use the shower, but you'll be mixing it with about 30% or so cold water to get the temperature right. 

If the shower has a flow restrictor, it might not be a problem. 

1 hour ago, Rednucleus said:

I would have guessed that's cool water going into the manifold, not hot water coming out??

In a closed system, all of the raw water should go through the heat exchanger right after the transmission cooler.  If everything is working properly it should come out of the exchanger at a consistent 160*F.  Any place after that is good to take hot water. 

Update:  I talked to the guys st Marine Power.  They were super helpful.  Turns out there is a shower port on the starboard exhaust manifold right from the factory.  It just had a plug/hose clamp over it.  I removed the plug, hooked up a piece of hose, and warm water flowed right out.  It doesn’t come out with enough pressure to lift it up to where I can sit on the back deck and pour it down my wetsuit, so I added a 12V RV water pump in-line in the hose and it works great.  The water is not “hot” but is warm enough that it works well.  No need to add in a mixing valve or tap into the cold water system since the hot water is not hot enough to burn.  I also was a little concerned about starving the manifold of cooling water but the guys at Marine Power said it would be fine.  I’m only gonna be running it for 30 seconds at a time anyway.  We went to lake all day on Saturday and used it multiple times and it worked well.  Very simple and easy with not much to go wrong.

23772DDF-1B4E-42EC-9B32-D47A21B1F6D4.png

On 11/19/2018 at 4:24 PM, RyanB said:

Pretty sure that is how it works on my MP LS3. Great addition by the way. 

Thanks.  Does yours ever get really “hot”?

1 hour ago, atropine said:

Thanks.  Does yours ever get really “hot”?

Not so hot that you can't touch it.  

Our main uses are to rinse off dogs/feet when coming from shore, to shower when we are on the houseboat, and to warm up after being in cold water.  Works well for all those uses.

6 hours ago, RyanB said:

Not so hot that you can't touch it.  

Our main uses are to rinse off dogs/feet when coming from shore, to shower when we are on the houseboat, and to warm up after being in cold water.  Works well for all those uses.

Good to know.  Sounds exactly like ours then.  Thanks!  Did yours come from the factory with a 12V pump?  If so, do you know where they mounted it?  I mounted mine in the back of the starboard locker and the PnP bag doesn’t seem to come near it when it’s full, so thus far I am pretty happy with it.

Edited by atropine
15 hours ago, atropine said:

Good to know.  Sounds exactly like ours then.  Thanks!  Did yours come from the factory with a 12V pump?  If so, do you know where they mounted it?  I mounted mine in the back of the starboard locker and the PnP bag doesn’t seem to come near it when it’s full, so thus far I am pretty happy with it.

Mine was dealer installed.  12V pump (the same one I have in my RV) is mounted starboard side in the very back.  I went with 450 pound PnP bags due to the altitude I run, and not wanting to run a bow bag, so I still have plenty of room for storage, and no worries about hitting the pump.