Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

minor damage from the Highland Lakes flooding

merzescorner

It was sitting in a very saturated lawn.  The prop and rudder pushed down into the grass/mud as the water receded very slowly.  Nothing seems to be bent.  I had it out for an hour or so to test and felt no vibration or issues.  Yes, very fortunate.  

Thought I'd add my experience here - my 2014 23 LSV is gone due to the flood, as in taken away and never recovered.  It was in the lift in my boathouse, and the water rose so fast that all my wife could do (she was at the lakehouse and got stranded) was watch it get floated up into the underside of the top party deck, get crushed, fill with water, flip over in the lift, and then disappear.   My guess is that it was washed downriver and through the dams, probably smashed into a million bits.  My house is at ground zero in Kingsland, just upriver from the 2900 bridge that collapsed.  I've never see anything like it - flood stage on the Llano is 10 feet and it crested at 40 feet! 

Once the water receded I could see that my boat was gone, the boathouse structure itself looks okay but all the lifts/motors/cradles/electric are completely trashed, and I have at least 6 feet of silt and sand all over my property that I will now have to pay to have hauled off.  I came out better than most, since our house itself didn't flood - the water stopped just short of entering the house, although it did some damage to the deck.  It's heartbreaking to see all the devastation everywhere on the lake, and I can only imagine the debris - boats, jetskis, boathouses, flotsam and jetsam, not to mention huge sections of a steel and concrete bridge - that are littered all over on the bottom of the lake.  Progressive told me they have over 500 claims already for boats and jetskis from this flood.

I don't know how to add pictures, but man do I have some doozies.  My wife actually took video up until the point she had to grab the dog and head for higher ground.  Doesn't matter if you had a $5 mil house or a $5k house - you ended up with some damage.  Crazy stuff!  And I bet 99% of the country never heard anything about it.

Edited by Leftlane
1 hour ago, Leftlane said:

Thought I'd add my experience here - my 2014 23 LSV is gone due to the flood, as in taken away and never recovered.  It was in the lift in my boathouse, and the water rose so fast that all my wife could do (she was at the lakehouse and got stranded) was watch it get floated up into the underside of the top party deck, get crushed, fill with water, flip over in the lift, and then disappear.   My guess is that it was washed downriver and through the dams, probably smashed into a million bits.  My house is at ground zero in Kingsland, just upriver from the 2900 bridge that collapsed.  I've never see anything like it - flood stage on the Llano is 10 feet and it crested at 40 feet! 

Once the water receded I could see that my boat was gone, the boathouse structure itself looks okay but all the lifts/motors/cradles/electric are completely trashed, and I have at least 6 feet of silt and sand all over my property that I will now have to pay to have hauled off.  I came out better than most, since our house itself didn't flood - the water stopped just short of entering the house, although it did some damage to the deck.  It's heartbreaking to see all the devastation everywhere on the lake, and I can only imagine the debris - boats, jetskis, boathouses, flotsam and jetsam, not to mention huge sections of a steel and concrete bridge - that are littered all over on the bottom of the lake.  Progressive told me they have over 500 claims already for boats and jetskis from this flood.

I don't know how to add pictures, but man do I have some doozies.  My wife actually took video up until the point she had to grab the dog and head for higher ground.  Doesn't matter if you had a $5 mil house or a $5k house - you ended up with some damage.  Crazy stuff!  And I bet 99% of the country never heard anything about it.

Been in many of floods and have loss of personal property as well. Sorry for you loss, but at least there was no loss of life or injuries. Things can be replaced, people can't be.

Totally agree - and I’ll admit I was freaking out a bit when the bridge collapsed and took down the cell system with it.  I still couldn’t get to my wife and now there was no way to communicate.  Everything else is insured etc and all will be back to normal at some point. 

You have the right to be very upset , it’s how you feel better , don’t minimize it, that was bad and your wife had to watch that happen to the boat snd all the special property you built to keep it safe, she felt her life threatened and ran, that was bad, insurance doesn’t take care of those emotions or your uninsured losses.  I still think about Katrina losses and we lost thousands of people and many elderly that died later from the stress

• 2 weeks later...

Leftlane, we are just a mile or so above the 1431 bridge on the west side in Kingsland, so we just got slowly rising water...no rushing water.  I've passed by your place many times as we frequently visit the sand bars up the Llano from you.  Sorry for your loss and best wishes getting everything back to normal.  We had two feet of water in our home and so far we've just gotten it gutted and dried out.  Insurance check came in yesterday.  :)

For others above, we paid dearly to have it lifted by crane and placed on a trailer.  I haven't yet figured out how to post pics. 

Oh man - sorry to hear.  You had water backing up the Colorado and then when water was released from Buchanan it just added to the misery.  I’m honestly afraid to go back on the lake until it’s all cleaned up - all this stuff, including the bridge, has to be somewhere.  Maybe we can meet up when they start lowering the lake in December and shed some tears together over a beer or thirty. 😜

Did your boat insurance have a wreckage removal clause?  We did but our boat never showed up anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response.  We had a $1k deductible on everything so the retrieval cost me the deduct. then the bodywork and minor repairs were covered for no additional deduct.  I completely agree about the safety of the lake.  It needs to be lowered far more than the four feet that the LCRA is lowering it.  Money and the power plant are in the way of going any lower.  10 feet would be needed to make sure the llano is clear. 

Yes, we should find the time later in the spring to meet up and swap some stories about our rebuild progress.  Hopefully by that point, there will be some good progress.