Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Better Surf Wave? 06'-09' Wakesetter VLX vs LSV / $4K Go Surf Assist vs $300 Wake Shaper (Mission Delta)

Fish209

If you are truly running that much weight, which I am not doubting but I think is too much back there from looking at the pictures my first impression would be that you are going too slow. From dealing with other wake boats, speed systems and speedometers I have seen where a Malibu paddle wheel 11.2 mph is not the same as an Enzo 11.2 mph or a GPS 11.2 mph. It could be that your 11 mph is not in fact 11 mph and you are running to slow. If you haven’t already done so, I would disregard the indicated speed and increase speed until you get the wave to develop if you can. IRT the weight there was no way in hell I could get my 350 to get on plane with just 750s in the back (without bow weight) and that was with a 1235 prop. Good luck. Bill

Edited by wdr
Clarification

Listen to Kojak and the other GSA guys. Your boat with GSA will not make a good wave running bow high.   You need midship and extra bow weight........period, and the correct speed which can be different for every boat for various reasons.

@Kojak that goofy side picture brings back some great memories for me!!  Clean and long!

40 minutes ago, Argonaut said:

Thanks Kojak! Ok the swim platform is several inches under the water... so for a start I will try adding less water into the 910 bags...

I will adjust the GSA tabs and wedge a bit as well... won’t the extra weight/bags just put the swim step under the water again? Is yours under the water with all of the extra ballast?

Yes, but only about ankle deep. Also, the speed I mentioned is by GPS. I've added Nautic Laugic cruise to my boat and verified it with a handheld GPS.

@Kojak Wave looks awesome behind your boat!

For the bow... something like this? https://www.wakemakers.com/straight-line-sumo-max-675-bow-bag-pump-combo.html

Any place to buy these used? 

I’m still pondering the swimstep height above/below water level ... when I zoom in on yours above it looks like the step is riding on the water and not under it?

@wdr Would testing the speedometer using one of the iPhone speed apps provide a point of comparison? I didn’t think the boat could actually plane at around 11mph? 

Looks like I have a few things to try this coming weekend if we get a dry day.

Thanks!

When stopped, my swim platform is just under the water. When surfing, it is above the water. The side view above is dealjb's old boat. He raised the swim platform several inches. 

If you're not able to get on plane at 11 mph then you most definitely need some bow weight. The bow bag in your link should work just fine.

1 hour ago, Kojak said:

Thanks!

When stopped, my swim platform is just under the water. When surfing, it is above the water. The side view above is dealjb's old boat. He raised the swim platform several inches. 

If you're not able to get on plane at 11 mph then you most definitely need some bow weight. The bow bag in your link should work just fine.

But like they said earlier, start with less weight in the back.  When you ride a good wave, youll have no problem buying more weight later to make it even better.

11 hours ago, Argonaut said:

Would testing the speedometer using one of the iPhone speed apps provide a point of comparison? I didn’t think the boat could actually plane at around 11mph? 

For me, the speed of the boat is merely a point of reference for replicating performance and I really don't care what the speed is so long as it works. I know that with my set up, when I hit 11.2 mph and @ 3250 rpm on the Malivue I am where I need to be at for the best wave for me. I boat on a river so depending on which way I am running speed and rpm vary slightly. I did calibrate my speedo using my Garmin to + or - .2 mph un ballisted, but that was only to quell my OCD urges :Doh:and I trust the speedo about as much as I do my fuel gauge. We definitely aren't going to plane at 11 mph loaded.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:26 PM, Argonaut said:

Following up to my messages above and adding some sample photos for your thoughts :) 

Here are some photos of my 23 lsv with full ballast tanks, 910s in rear full and GSA activated... some are with the power wedge down all the way and some are with it partially up... just myself and 7 year old in boat... any suggestions to make surf area longer? Eg would using less rear ballast while keeping the bow full... give a longer surf area? Or is the wake good now? I assume I wish it to be less steep to learn to get up on? I’m brand new to surfing so I don’t know what will be the easiest to learn on...speed set to 11mph... what’s best to learn on? I’m 5’11” and about 190.

I read several folks above suggested adding more weight to the bow...I would prefer not too but if I have to... is there anyway to slide a PNP up to the bow under the seats even with the bow tank? I’d prefer not to add a bag on top of the bow cushions...

Appreciate all suggestions...

BFCAD93F-A2AF-4991-9292-50A7D67CF6CE.jpeg

CF31FDBF-A649-4D92-941B-C652EFF405FF.jpeg

5DE9B621-0230-48E3-8F7B-A356178430D5.jpeg

Something is definitely wrong with that wave. More bow weight is a must, really its all about playing with the settings to get the best possible wave. Here is a pic of the 'wave' from my Sunsetter direct drive, no ballast, 5 people in the boat, no wake shaper. Its crazy that yours does not look much bigger.

38291316_516689435436688_868634599922597

• 2 weeks later...

@Kojak Thanks for the information on the settings you use. Do you mind checking the 2 and 3 o’clock GSA positions you reference vs the knob on mine (see photo attached)... mine is completely off in the photo at 2-3 pm... could you mean like 9 or 10 perhaps?

I am hoping to get out tomorrow and play with the settings/speed/ballast etc

C21028D2-F867-4D44-9EBA-3F50EA796C7C.jpeg

You have the new style controller which is different than mine. Looks like the adjustments may be different. 

Give this a try the next time you're on the water. Set your tab where it is approximately level with the underneath side of the hull. This should be a really good starting point and you can fine tune the wave from there.

5 hours ago, Argonaut said:

@Kojak Thanks for the information on the settings you use. Do you mind checking the 2 and 3 o’clock GSA positions you reference vs the knob on mine (see photo attached)... mine is completely off in the photo at 2-3 pm... could you mean like 9 or 10 perhaps?

I am hoping to get out tomorrow and play with the settings/speed/ballast etc

C21028D2-F867-4D44-9EBA-3F50EA796C7C.jpeg

You don't have the tabs down enough. I run mine with the tabs all the way down. I don't have the older controller as well. But in your pic I would assume you need to turn the dial counter clockwise until the dot is at least halfway. There are many variables that can be done to get a long wave, but you need a decent wave first. I leave my tabs in the lowest position and use the wedge to shape the wave (short and tall or long and shorter). I have post in this section on page 1 for my ballast setup. My swim platform is underwater at stop and the rear corner is underwater when underway. Kojak's suggestion is good start as well. If it were up to me I would first put wedge all the way down and then play with GSA adjustments until you get a good wave. Once you find that setting then play with wedge and ballast. I have also found that slightly listing boat to surf side improves the lip. You can PM me with you phone number and I can help you with your settings. Would be even better if you did this while on water.

• Like 2

Went out today and surfed for my first time :)

Thanks to all the posters on this thread for your ballast/settings help!

More tweaking to come but this was with full rear PNP, full GSA, full or close to full power wedge and perhaps 1/2 bow.. speed 10.6, 3000 rpm...water temp 50 deg :)

1B8587F4-04ED-40FA-BFC1-336933833067.jpeg

Edited by Argonaut
  • Like 3

Looks like you are getting it dialed in a lot better now, that actually looks like a surf wave! One thing I will mention, I have heard/read/seen numerous people who had the GSA tab deployed TOO far down (this really depending on what degree the tab was installed at tho). I  ride with a guy on regular basis who has GSA on a 2006 Malibu 247 , he gets the best wave by dialing the tab up a couple clicks from its "fully deployed position" (He does run bow weight and including lead runs close to 5k lbs of ballast, but 247 is a big boat and bigger the boat, the more ballast you need). I would spend some time and try every setting/click on your controller.....with the ballast also at different levels since like others said you don't want too much rear weight with bow running super high, not only will you get a steep wave with very short pocket but an awesome surf wave with the right amount of height/length/push is all about physics. If you have a couple extra adults next time you go out or a spare ballast bag, you could have them move around the boat together to see how weight in different places changes your surf wave. I know a few people that bias the surf side with a few hundred pounds of extra ballast (or drain a little from your non-surf side). Spending a day dialing in the wave could save you some since the better your wave is, the faster you can progress on learning to surf since you "wash out" of the wave less and are able to recover easier when you have everything set up right for your boat.

The other thing.... is that GSA has great customer support. If you call them and explain how you have the boat set up, they can likely tell you the best deployment angle for your boat and what the best "attitude" is for ballast setup. Think I remember the "standard" recommendation being something between 9-12 degree's when GSA  tab is deployed.....so that is really not a lot! You can download an app on your phone and place phone on the plate to see what the deployment angle is at "each click" if you do it while boat is out of water and on the trailer.

@Argonaut, that wave is looking much better. I sent you PM with my number.  I see that you are crazier than me lol... Cold water but sunny day I am out but it never freezes here :) Although this weekend was spent on the annual detailing of  the boat. 

As Infinitysurf stated, GSA  has great customer support. I was fortunate enough for them to do the install and then a trip to lake with them to go over everything. They laughed at first when they saw my ballast system, but then were amazed with output :) 

Thank you both. The pro who helped me dial it in... suggested adding another 250-500 lbs of steel ballast in the stern ... the Seattle boat show is in two weeks so I may see if there are any specials as even the steel shot was not cheap :)

looking to buy one of the older landlock boards now too...if anyone knows of one for sale :)

i will check out the GSA angle (I have it on a lift but should be able to lean over and measure..

i did notice that the power wedge is not easy to adjust from dial mark to dial mark... it jumps a few marks ...

Perhaps a bag under the port side coffin would be better though? Plumbed into the  port side PNP?

The boat is mainly on a lift but we do hope to trailer it to this summer ...

Edited by Argonaut