Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fogging : Manually turn over the engine...

snarohyans

Hi all - 

Long time lurker, first time poster. I ran a quick search of the forum history, but couldn't find this topic, so I figured I'd ask real quick.

This is my first year winterizing our 2018 23LSV (Raptor 410). No issues so far (got everything drained, added anti-freeze to coolant system + ballast tanks, pulled the impeller, etc.)... but the manual suggests fogging each cylinder. That's no problem, but I'm wondering how to turn the engine over without starting it? My thought was to put a ratchet on the crankshaft/main pulley, but the heat exchanger is in the way (at least, it seems to be). So... now what? Can't crank it quickly with a pushbutton ignition, though I've heard you can pull the kill switch and crank the engine with the key. But won't that still squirt some fuel into the cylinders and negate the fogging? I know there's differing opinions on fogging and not fogging, but since Indmar says to do it, I'm doing it. The boat will be garage kept during the winter.

Many thanks for the help!
Aaron

I’m not sure if that helps on your particular engine, but when I still had to winterize, I was able to turn the engine over by hand just grabbing the crankshaft pulley with both hands. That was of course with all the plugs removed.

Edited by Chaabo

I guess I don't know about newer boats, but it should have a safety lanyard you can remove.  Doing so will keep the fuel pump and possibly spark from working, so you can crank all day and the engine won't start. 

If you want to turn over the engine a few revolutions, (without the auto-crank, injectors, or coils functioning) a safe and easy way is to use a remote starter switch and connect it to the starter solenoid terminals.  You only need to have the battery switch on and can control the starter with the remote starter button.

• Like 2

The engine will still crank with the spark plugs out.  After you spray fogging oil in the cylinders you just need to crank it a couple of times with the plugs out and then put the plugs back in and you should be good to go.

• Like 2

On my 410, I removed the plugs and sprayed fogging oil directly into each cylinder.  Prior to reinstalling the Spark Plugs, using the key (instead of the pushbutton) tried to turn it over for a second however after I second I turned the key to the Off position but the engine kept trying to start.  I quickly turned off the power to the engine at the battery switch.  I assume there is a better way to not have to kill the power to stop the starting sequence. 

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yea... I was worried the key may still try to do a “start sequence”. :( Maybe I can leave all the plugs out and contort behind the heat exchanger to turn the main pulley.

Or.. I wonder if you could turn the key, then yank the lanyard instead of turning key to the off position? Might try that...

1 hour ago, thealy said:

On my 410, I removed the plugs and sprayed fogging oil directly into each cylinder.  Prior to reinstalling the Spark Plugs, using the key (instead of the pushbutton) tried to turn it over for a second however after I second I turned the key to the Off position but the engine kept trying to start.  I quickly turned off the power to the engine at the battery switch.  I assume there is a better way to not have to kill the power to stop the starting sequence. 

I did not have that issue with mine. I did the same thing you did with fogging each cylinder and using the key to start it. I cranked it twice and stopped with no issues.

22 hours ago, Hemmy said:

The engine will still crank with the spark plugs out.  After you spray fogging oil in the cylinders you just need to crank it a couple of times with the plugs out and then put the plugs back in and you should be good to go.

The oil will shoot out of the spark plug holes this way, unless you turn by hand.

19 hours ago, snarohyans said:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yea... I was worried the key may still try to do a “start sequence”. :( Maybe I can leave all the plugs out and contort behind the heat exchanger to turn the main pulley.

Or.. I wonder if you could turn the key, then yank the lanyard instead of turning key to the off position? Might try that...

I figured turning  the key to off would cancel the start sequence, no?

24 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

The oil will shoot out of the spark plug holes this way, unless you turn by hand.

What about cranking it with the starter jumped (no FI or ignition) and plugs in and then spraying some fogging oil into the intake with the butterfly valve(s) held open?

are you saying you drained your block with closed cooling ?    Or did you mean you just drained the heat exchanger, manifolds and coolers ?  

i guess it's not a bad idea the 1st year, but most of us don't fog.  If I did spray the cylinders I would just put the spark plugs back in and bump the key with lanyard off.

31 minutes ago, SkiPablo said:

are you saying you drained your block with closed cooling ?    Or did you mean you just drained the heat exchanger, manifolds and coolers ?  

i guess it's not a bad idea the 1st year, but most of us don't fog.  If I did spray the cylinders I would just put the spark plugs back in and bump the key with lanyard off.

I drained everything, per the Indmar manual (pages 8-6 to 8-7): https://3hrrn17xcv6279hr9jo4stbt-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2018_Inboard_OM_CC_05-17-17.pdf (exhaust manifold crossover tube, transmission drain/anode, transmission cooler drain hose, heat exchanger and removed the impeller). Once drained, I hooked a funnel up to the raw water strainer and sucked in about 3-4 gallons of Antifreeze until it was belching pink for 2-3 minutes.

Yea ... I've read the back and forth on fogging. Seems like it's all personal preference. In an effort to get to know the boat and engine, I figured I'd go ahead and fog it this time. The verdict's out on whether I'll do it again next year :)

Edited by snarohyans
Adding a quote...

sounds good :)   Don't use too much oil in the cylinders and hold on to that red straw - better yet put a 2" piece of tape on the stray so it has no chance of going into the spark plug hole.

On 11/13/2018 at 2:03 PM, SkiPablo said:

I have heard there is a risk of hydrolocking the cylinders and causing damage if you spray in too much fogging oil and then replace the plugs prior to turning it over.  

I went through the exact same thing as you. 2018 23LSV w/ 410. I also, being new to the boat wanted to do it ‘per the manual’ and followed all of the same steps as you. 

I removed plugs, sprayed oil, left plugs out, pulled the fuel pump relays and turned it over with the key. It went through the start cycle, freaked me out and I killed the battery as someone else mentioned.

I initially pulled the starter relay thinking this was the trick, but obviously wasn’t able to turn it over this way. Duh

After the fact now, I’m curious if pulling my fuel pump breakers and having the kill switch tripped would have been a better way? Most of my oil shot out but it’s in a garage and I was over it at that point. 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:43 PM, minnmarker said:

What about cranking it with the starter jumped (no FI or ignition) and plugs in and then spraying some fogging oil into the intake with the butterfly valve(s) held open?

On '03 motors, I can pull the lanyard which disables ign. & fuel during cranking.  I just spray into the throttle body while wife cranks engine, no more than 5 seconds.  Gave up on the spark plug holes decades ago.

• Like 2
On 11/13/2018 at 2:27 PM, snarohyans said:

Once drained, I hooked a funnel up to the raw water strainer and sucked in about 3-4 gallons of Antifreeze until it was belching pink for 2-3 minutes.

I winterized my 2018 20VTX for the first time this year as well.  All went well, but I ultimately decided not to fog after hearing the arguments for and against.  Although I didn't do it, I was planning to pull the cut-off lanyard and then crank for a few seconds.

Also, just curious--why did you decide to suck up the antifreeze?  Belt-and-suspenders for freeze protection, anti-corrosion, or both?  A bit off topic, but I couldn't resist asking.