Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
ahopkinsVTX

27th Annual Polar Bear Ski - White Lake, MI

ahopkinsVTX

December 1st! Come on out. I’ll be driving all day!

BDD17645-790A-43B2-A8D2-D712C6527E2B.thumb.jpeg.acc2f649986c62afa9f62da95483c59a.jpeg

Woodski

Always!  Looking forward to it.  Hopefully, the lake will be all liquid as I gaze out on a white lawn today and watch the flurries fly.

Make sure a TXI is in the water...😎

ahopkinsVTX
50 minutes ago, Woodski said:

Always!  Looking forward to it.  Hopefully, the lake will be all liquid as I gaze out on a white lawn today and watch the flurries fly.

Make sure a TXI is in the water...😎

Don’t worry. We will probably have two like the last few years!

hunter77ah
On 11/10/2018 at 9:57 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Don’t worry. We will probably have two like the last few years!

Any word yet on the other boats?  When I spoke with Kyle last weekend, he said he didn't know.

Michigan boarder

Pretty cool!!  Our show ski team does it on Jan 1 at 11am, near a power plant that has non-freezing water.  Except last year, the water froze over the night before, so we cancelled.  I'm planning on footing this year in a Santa hat.

ahopkinsVTX
1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

Any word yet on the other boats?  When I spoke with Kyle last weekend, he said he didn't know.

No not yet. We probably won’t know until the week of. 

Woodski

Latest weather forecast has December 1 getting a full day of rain, December 2 is currently rain free, but it is early in the week and we are talking a weather forecast!

@ahopkinsVTXIs there a rain date for the event in case it does get rained out?

ahopkinsVTX

@Woodski that is a good question. I will ask. Only issue with Sunday is The White Lake Inn does a lions club event every Sunday but they’d all be inside. I will ask and report back though. 

ahopkinsVTX

Ok so as of right now there is no make up day. We will just hang out and party if it’s raining that hard. 

And the boat line up:

2017 TXi
2018 TXi
2018 21 VLX
2018 22 MXZ 
2018 24 MXZ
And one Tahoe for boat rides/spectating. 

Lake is still 100% open and should remain that way so we will be able to run the skiers on the north shore and the wakeboats on the south end. 

@Woodski @Raimie @hunter77ah @APoko

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

ahopkinsVTX
2 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

@ahopkinsVTX are you driving the 24? I really think you should... :)

Most likely. Will be in the 22 or 24. 

inlandlaker

Wish I could be there.  I have other things I need to do that day........hopefully my sales guy is available and not at that event.......:whistle:

ahopkinsVTX
2 hours ago, inlandlaker said:

Wish I could be there.  I have other things I need to do that day........hopefully my sales guy is available and not at that event.......:whistle:

Could close a sale and be at the event! ;)

Woodski

Hopefully the weather forecast is off a bit, what an opportunity to do the double on the same day  - water & snow ski, as a few local snow ski hills are open.

Michigan boarder
28 minutes ago, Woodski said:

Hopefully the weather forecast is off a bit, what an opportunity to do the double on the same day  - water & snow ski, as a few local snow ski hills are open.

Norcal, Michigan style!

ahopkinsVTX
42 minutes ago, Woodski said:

A few of us are going to hit up Alpine Valley if the weather holds.

inlandlaker
53 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

A few of us are going to hit up Alpine Valley if the weather holds.

I just got back from 2 days at Boyne Highlands and 1 day at Boyne Mountain.  It was the best November snow I've seen in many moons.

ahopkinsVTX

Unfortunately we had to cancel the event this morning. Yesterday evening there was a tiny bit of ice formed around the bay that the bar is on where we run the event from but this morning all 550 acres has a 1/2” of ice on it. We attempted to clear a safe path but it just wasn’t going to happen. Only the 3rd time in 27 years have we had to cancel for ice. 

07879CCF-1249-431C-87A2-45EF160F8DD8.thumb.jpeg.fba6e50ee613d388bc1c1b2d584815c7.jpeg

Woodski

Bummer, Michigan weather foils best efforts.  365 days to next years Polar Bear Ski and a chance to hug the bear!

Michigan boarder

What?!?  Two from our ski team were out on the water somewhere, put up vids and pics on FB.  I'll have to see where they ended up skiing.

ahopkinsVTX
33 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

What?!?  Two from our ski team were out on the water somewhere, put up vids and pics on FB.  I'll have to see where they ended up skiing.

I know Silver Spray, the Nautique dealer here, still had theirs. The pictures I saw looked like horrible conditions though, very very windy and rain. Our lake ended up clearing late afternoon, but even if we worked on breaking ice all morning I don't think it would have been safe until 3-4. Sunday was dang near perfect, I wish we could have found a way to have that as our makeup date. Maybe we can better plan for that next year.