Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo upgrade for tow vehicle (Tundra)

Falko

Wasn't sure if this should go in the tow vehicle, stereo, or off topic section.

Looking at upgrading the Tundra stereo. Had it a year now and the tolerance for the stock stereo is wearing thin. Looking at doing a staged upgrade as I don't have a lot of time to do a full bang up conversion complete with signal processors, amps, speakers, subs. Right now, I think I want to just replace the stock speakers with something I can add to later. But has anyone with a Tundra done this? I don't have the upgraded factory system, so have to think the sound improvement would be noticeable. 

Step 2 would be signal processor, amps.

Step 3 would be a sub.

I'm not going to replace the head unit, too much functionality to the truck with it. But is there a better way to go about this in a staged manner? I don't see one, but I'm not a stereo guy.

I'm in the same boat but don't have the patience for a staged build.  Lots of people are using the TacoTunes kits with great feedback.  Check out the TundraTalk forum for more info. 

https://tacotunes.com/product-category/toyota-tundra-audio-products/crewmax-audio-products/crewmax-bundled-products/

My dilemma is whether to do the stereo or coil-over leveling first.

I looked over the Tacotunes system pretty in depth. I was just worried about quality of components. Everything is bundled, but there isn't anything special there. Could I do a better system for the same or less $$?

1 hour ago, Falko said:

Could I do a better system for the same or less $$?

I think you can definitely save a little money going with something different. If you know what you are doing install wise, Tacotunes may not be worth it.  For me, I had never installed a stereo system before, so having something plug and play that did not require splicing wires or tracking down wires in my truck to install everything, was worth it to me.

2 hours ago, Falko said:

I looked over the Tacotunes system pretty in depth. I was just worried about quality of components. Everything is bundled, but there isn't anything special there. Could I do a better system for the same or less $$?

Seems like the benefit of the taco tunes stuff is the prefabbed harnesses and mounting brackets. Wonder if you can just buy that stuff from them?

I don’t know how this fits with your phasing, but I think adding a sub will make more difference than upgrading the door speakers. If you can afford a 5ch amp, you’d probably also see some benefit from more power on the factory speakers (speaking generically... no specific experience with your rig). 

I’ve always found upgrading speakers on factory power to be pretty underwhelming.  Like I want to convince myself that I can hear a difference, but if I have to try to convince myself, it’s probably not that noticeable.  On the other hand, I definitely CAN tell the difference when I add a sub.

I could do a power level in amp and feed the factory speakers. Problem is the auto leveling and attenuation from the factory HU might not sound great.  Now, maybe I put in the processor now with an amp and do the speakers as stage 2? That might work out.

35 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Seems like the benefit of the taco tunes stuff is the prefabbed harnesses and mounting brackets. Wonder if you can just buy that stuff from them?

https://tacotunes.com/product-category/toyota-tacoma-audio-products/double-cab-audio-products/plug-play-wire-harnesses/

I did add one of Tacotunes small 4 channel amps to a buddies Tundra to boost the door speakers and it added a noticeable difference on the output.  He did not want a sub at the time.  Coming straight from the factory headunit, the speakers are definitely under powered.

Look at AudioControl amps with the DPS built in.

I'd try repowering the existing drivers first.  It's usually the factory amp/processing that runs out of steam first.  Also add the sub.

Then replace the drivers.

21 hours ago, robtr8 said:

Look at AudioControl amps with the DPS built in.

I'd try repowering the existing drivers first.  It's usually the factory amp/processing that runs out of steam first.  Also add the sub.

Then replace the drivers.

wow those look really cool!

Those do look nice but are not overly configurable. That D6.1200 would work but I don't need 125W per channel. Also, I'm not a fan of having everything in one unit.

So I have my old 4 channel amp that I used in my Avalanche stereo build (removed before trading it). I think I'll pick up a signal processor and use that amp to drive the door speakers for now. Later I'll add the sub and another dedicated amp, then finally the door speakers at which time I may upgrade that 4 channel.