Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Site pruning

WakeGirl

The site has grown very large, and we are carrying around a lot of old, stale content that really isn't relevant any longer. Additionally, the sheer size of the site makes basic maintenance and upgrades difficult and something that we have to exercise extreme caution to get done. Because of this, we've made the decision to prune the site beyond what we would normally do. Here is what we've begun to lay out:

Site Announcements - Trim to 6 months
Site Feedback - Trim to 6 months
Test Area - Trim to 30 days

General - Trim TBD
Axis - No trimming needed here
Watersports - Trim TBD
Mods & Accessories - No trimming here, too much good info
Trailers Tow rigs - No trimming needed here
Ballast - Probably no trimming here, too much good info
Stereo - Trim TBD (probably match what we do in the watersports forum)
Maintenance -  No trimming here, too much good info
Off water sports - Trim to 1 year
Off Topic - Trim to 2 years

BuCrew Events - Trim to start of 2018, merge with Boat Shows & Other Events to create a single Events forums
Crew on the water - Trimmed to start of 2018
Boat shows - Trimmed to start of 2018, merge with BuCrew Events to create a single Events forums

Classifieds - Trims automatically to 90 days
Want to buy - Trimmed to 6 months

Boat House - Trim posts from users that are not subscriber that have been inactive for more than 2 years

Gallery, Resources....TBD

We're still trying to figure out where the line will be for all of the TBDs. If you feel strongly about this, we're listening. This isn't something that we're going to do all at once, but will take a methodical approach.

ahopkins22LSV

I think boat houses should stay. Would be a shame to delete some people’s old boats. I guess if they haven’t been active is forever that would be another thing, active members should stay imo. 

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, WakeGirl said:

There isn't any question of the Boat House staying & of course active members won't have their content trimmed (sorry if that wasn't clear). The question is how long a member is inactive before we start trimming?

Ah gotcha. And that’s a good question... lol. I’d say at least a year. Maybe two?

How does this work?  Active users' content stays, but the content posted by folks who haven't visited for two years disappears?  So does that end up swiss-cheesing old threads (do only posts get deleted) or do threads (and all of the posts contained therein) roll off when every poster in the thread has been inactive for more than two years.

For instance, Pistol Pete hasn't visited for almost two years.  But I'd hate to lose his old content.  He posted some good stuff back in the day that's probably still of use to early 00s owners. Under this policy tho, he'd roll off next week, right?

That said I totally understand the data manageability issue.  But for solving problems being able to search the whole archive is of great value... limiting that to two years substantially limits the utility of the forum.... but then you have to keep the college football and upside down sandwich threads too.

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

How does this work?  Active users' content stays, but the content posted by folks who haven't visited for two years disappears?  So does that end up swiss-cheesing old threads (do only posts get deleted) or do threads (and all of the posts contained therein) roll off when every poster in the thread has been inactive for more than two years.

For instance, Pistol Pete hasn't visited for almost two years.  But I'd hate to lose his old content.  He posted some good stuff back in the day that's probably still of use to early 00s owners. Under this policy tho, he'd roll off next week, right?

That said I totally understand the data manageability issue.  But for solving problems being able to search the whole archive is of great value... limiting that to two years substantially limits the utility of the forum.... but then you have to keep the college football and upside down sandwich threads too.

In the forums we would likely just prune based on a date, not active users. The discussion about active users was centered around the Boat House. Pete's most valuable contributions to the site were almost always in the Mods/Accessories & Maintenance forums, which we wouldn't prune at all.

1 hour ago, SkiPablo said:

don't know if this is possible but what about trimming stuff in the General Forum that has less than 5-6 posts - some of the ones that had many posts are probably valuable.

That's possible, but I think that could get a little dangerous. It could swiss cheese the board like Shawn was concerned about.