Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Holes on gunwale

ResponseLX2004

I recently bought a 2004 Malibu Response LX. Seems like a great ski boat, can't wait for next season. 

I did notice that right behind the windshield on both sides there are 3 holes in the gunwale. They aren't for a tower, at least I think so as there are no mounting holes in the bow area. There were covered up with stickers So I didn't see them before. Does anyone know what they are for? I would post a picture but I don't know how, forgive me I am not very tech savvy.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by ResponseLX2004
Typo

If you are not a paid member, use Imagur/Google drive etc. to host the pic you upload.  Three holes?  On the horizontal or vertical  gunwale? If they are small holes maybe it was for deck cleats?  Or some one-piece forward facing tower?

Edited by Eagleboy99

Thanks for helping me figure this out guys. They are one the horizontal part of the gunwale. The step pads are still there so it's  not for that. They are too small for a tower but over kill for a Bimini. They are only a few inches away from the end of the windshield.... 

A picture would be helpful here. Otherwise it’s all assuming something.

On my Response in that spot there are the pad eyes mounted to fasten the rear tie down straps for the bimini top. The hinges are sitting on the windshield frame and the front pad eyes are mounted on both sides of the deck more towards the front of the windshield. It’s the original, dealer installed factory sunbrella bimini I have.

Edited by Chaabo

Only on the Port side?   Did they have a barefoot boom at one time?  Could be a location for the pad for the boom.  That is right about where a boom would sit on the gunwale.  Picture from the internet.  

image.png.9b771d7f930e93b1939ebb5d3b006dd2.png

Edited by ORMailbuboater
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help guys. It did not come with a bimini so I have no way of knowing it was related to the bimini or not. I'm thinking it could be from a barfoot boom pad, it is on both sides though....

Anyone have any more thoughts?