Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 Vinyl - Hard to Remove Spots

Murphy8166

You might also try a degreaser of some kind. There are some detailers that use super degreasers. Be careful though, you may want to water it down (some say as much as 5-1 water). Also do NOT let a concentrated degreaser sit on the vinyl. Spray it on, rub it off then wash it off pretty quickly. Here's a video from some guy about what he does and the results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCJiN3AaudY&t=29s

Also, I would be careful about use abrasive scrub brushes on spots. You could rub off the UV protectant layer and then the vinyl will crack over time.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, LateNightSalami said:

Also, I would be careful about use abrasive scrub brushes on spots. You could rub off the UV protectant layer and then the vinyl will crack over time.

That is why it is good to use separate cleaner and conditioner products. The conditioners will have uv protectant. No different than using a good wax/sealant after polishing or using abrasive gel coat cleaner on the hull. 

2 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

That is why it is good to use separate cleaner and conditioner products. The conditioners will have uv protectant. No different than using a good wax/sealant after polishing or using abrasive gel coat cleaner on the hull. 

I think his point is that once you do something like scrub a seat with a magic eraser that nothing you rub on it is going to fix what you have done to the vinyl.

14 hours ago, Murphy8166 said:

I have a couple hard to remove spots on my vinyl that just wont come out with Vinyl Sauce, scrub brush and microfiber rag.  Any suggestions on what else I can try - they are not big spots.

Vinyl brush with a good non abrasive cleaner.  I use Folex cleaner,  takes a lot of stains out and womt harm the vinyl.  I have found if you cant get it out with a cleaner of choice with a vinyl brush then let it be and mother nature UV rays usually takes care of it. 

It is easy to make something worse with too much scrubbing and treatments on a single area.

Screenshot_20181108-200345_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20181108-200142_Firefox.jpg

time in the sun will cause almost all spots to fade.

(gasp!) I *have* used a magic eraser on some marks on my seats (where we left jetpilot vests to dry and the neoprene got "sticky" and fused to the vinyl).  My boat has not burst into flames and the vinyl looks fine.  Maybe I'll be singing a different tune 10 years from now, but over the course of the last two seasons no biggie.  In fact I'd be hard pressed to even remember which cushions had the marks.

(yes yes, this was after trying less abrasive methods)

• Like 1