Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Yukon Denali shock compressor running

Hemmy

I have a 2016 Yukon Denali.  I have noticed lately the compressor for my shocks running more frequently.  The compressor was something I never really noticed before and lately I hear it running (kind of loud) quite a bit.  I really notice it kicking on and off when I get to stop lights.  This is occurring during normal driving not towing anything.  Any of the crew have one of these and had any issue with either the shocks or the compressor?  I am wondering if maybe a shock(s) is bad.

Auto level system, correct? Does the back end seem way high, like the level sensor thinks there's a load or does it seem to sit level? Likely a leak, but could be a failing level sensor. 

11 minutes ago, MLA said:

Auto level system, correct? Does the back end seem way high, like the level sensor thinks there's a load or does it seem to sit level? Likely a leak, but could be a failing level sensor. 

Yes it does have the auto level system.  I have noticed that it does seem to be sitting high in the rear.  I was thinking a leak but not positive.  Sitting high would probably indicate failing level system?

1 hour ago, MLA said:

Yeah, if unloaded and it sits high, it say a failing level sensor. 

Thanks for the feedback!  I am going to contact the dealer.  Hoping this is covered under the drive train  warranty portion since I am passed miles on the bumper to bumper. 

Please let us know what you find out.  My wife drives a 2015 Denali XL and I only hear the compressor when hitching the trailer or loading the boat.  It usually runs about 10 seconds.

12 minutes ago, AzAxisA22 said:

Please let us know what you find out.  My wife drives a 2015 Denali XL and I only hear the compressor when hitching the trailer or loading the boat.  It usually runs about 10 seconds.

My wife drives a 2014 Yukon Denali and I only heard the compressor hitching up or at the launch. Now I hear it way more, seems like every time it starts up. It must have a leak.  I'm bringing it in to have it checked.

2 hours ago, dcarl said:

My wife drives a 2014 Yukon Denali and I only heard the compressor hitching up or at the launch. Now I hear it way more, seems like every time it starts up. It must have a leak.  I'm bringing it in to have it checked.

If  When ours gives us trouble, I'll convert it to a traditional suspension.  I've heard nightmares of throwing $$$ at these systems only to have them continue to fail; especially in harsh climates.  IMO, the ride sucks even when working properly.  My Tundra TRD (not the Pro) is a much smoother ride.

No extended warranty on mine unfortunately. Called the dealer hoping it would have been covered but that fell under bumper to bumper and I am passed the 36,000 mile mark.  Either way I still need to get it fixed I just don’t know what it will cost.

people complain about the issues with new boats but the warranties on them seem better then the cars and get fixed easier. Any issues I have had with my boat have been fixed with no problem. Also if I call my boat dealer they have an idea of what my issue is. Car dealers tell you nothing except you need to make an appointment to come in.

12 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I have a 2016 Yukon Denali.  I have noticed lately the compressor for my shocks running more frequently.  The compressor was something I never really noticed before and lately I hear it running (kind of loud) quite a bit.  I really notice it kicking on and off when I get to stop lights.  This is occurring during normal driving not towing anything.  Any of the crew have one of these and had any issue with either the shocks or the compressor?  I am wondering if maybe a shock(s) is bad.

Those systems are both leveling and have the magneride shocks. And the rears have an issue with locking up full of air and not releasing. And are about 1600 installed at dealer. And only the Gm extended warranty covers shocks. Every other extended warranty usually omits shocks in fine print. Already replaced front and rear magneride shocks on our 2015 Yukon Denali. But did it myself.  

Worst suspension ever put on such a high dollar vehicle. 

Good luck 

They are notorious for leaking.  Driving like that for any length of time will end up wearing out the compressor as well.  

Rear shock replacement is a pretty easy DIY job and you will save about a grand over the dealer doing it yourself as you can online shop for the shocks at a far better price for the same shocks.

I got mine in the shop today and they just called said it was a bad compressor.  Best of all it was covered under warranty.:)
This is second item they covered the other was a broken sway bar since July.I never buy extended warranties but since this was my 1st domestic vehicle and there's so many to go wrong on a Denali, so glad I did.

Footnote the Yukon XL in front of me had the same sort of issue but her compressor sounded more like a lawnmower. I think she may have let it run too much.

On 11/13/2018 at 4:54 PM, Molarbu said:

Mine is in the shop today for this very problem.  However I think mine has a leak.  about 70K miles ago it did the same thing and was covered under warranty.

What did you find out with your shocks.  What was the damage on the bill?

51 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

What did you find out with your shocks.  What was the damage on the bill?

They told me they didn't find any problems.  I felt like it was running too much and I could hear a leak, but they didn't find anything so crisis averted!   They said sometimes a small rock can get caught and it will leak until the shock travels far enough that it comes out.  Sounds weird to me, but I'll keep an eye on it.