Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

01 Sunsetter LXI or 12 Response

WoodyBC

I've got a great problem...… Keep my 01 Sunsetter LXI, Monsoon or buy a 12 Response (Not TXI, or LX).

We only use the SS LXI to ski our course, barefoot every once in a while and cruise the small private lake. All kids are grown, no tubing, partying, wakeboarding etc. Slalom is really about it, but it is nice to have the extra room. Rarely if ever are the front seats used. Back seat has been out for years. Boat is in great shape, 750 hours, and no trouble at all with the boat. I would need to replace the sundeck skin and add Perfect Pass to this boat if I keep it.

Looked at a 2012 Response with 450 hrs with Zero Off. Beautiful shape. Built as a hard core ski boat. Not even a radio in it. 340 hp. After being in the boat (on the trailer) the first thing I noticed is that it seemed really small. 

I really enjoy challenging myself on getting through the course. 15 off is the best I've done so far but continuing to improve. Heres the question. Am I really going to notice a difference in the ski wake with the Response over the SS? And if you have done something similar by trading "up" for a smaller boat, any regrets?

Thanks Everyone!

Woody

Ski  a set or two behind it and find out. I currently ski behind a Sporty & a 03 SS LXI and don't notice the wake on either boat.  I like driving the Sporty in the course better. 

First off, ski behind it. You're spending the money so it's ultimately up to you. I think it would come down to your priorities. Would you rather have an extra foot and more space or do you want a hardcore ski boat? Is having a hardcore closed bow ski boat going to make you ski the course better mentally? Would you add a stereo to that response and if so, have you budgeted for that? I haven't skied behind those sunsetters much, I can say the responses are great for skiing.

You have one of the all time best all around ski boats. I don't see any noticeable improvements with my boat other then maybe short line spray on a windy day. I love the SS LXi wake.  I have given thought about replacing my tug some but I would be going to a used smaller tug. What is the savings or are there any?  And then what do I know about the boat that would be the replacement tug. I know everything about my 07 and she still looks like new. I don't think its been out other then skiing in three years. The pontoon gets the cruising time. 

• Like 2

Very little difference in the wakes at slalom speeds; you'd have to squint hard to see them.  At 15 off the Response will be a hair better IME but at say 34 mph, 28 off there is essentially no diff.  What is the price difference to upgrade (downsize?)?

Really great responses fellas, thank you. I would love to take it out and ski a few sets and I would but the Response is winterized already. Seller has offered to put the boat back in for a few runs which I would take him up on prior to purchase. Michigan 10 day forecast isn't looking tho. Maybe if it warms up. I really don't have to have a closed bow, nor do I see myself skiing better because of it. I'm no threat to the championship by any means, just a recreational skier trying to improve. Radio, not an essential accessory, may not even put one in.

To upgrade (downsize) would cost me about 8-9K. If I don't get the Response, I would be putting about 2k into the SS LXI by adding PP the new sun deck skin.

It seems like I would be sacrificing a really versatile great condition boat (that I love), for one that would have a touch better wake and not much room to do anything else.  

I can’t imagine much difference in the wake.  sslxi is top notch.   My friends Rlxi is slightly smaller wake but not by much.   If I was gonna upgrade it would be a rlxi vs a closed bow.    The main difference  is gonna be the pull of zero off, which I do like better. Zero off is better if you ski tournaments but It’s not a deal breaker. 

Edited by SkiPablo

I’d upgrade to zbox ($1k-ish) and keep the SSLxi. It’s not worth $6-7k more to have a smaller, not as comfortable boat with little to no difference in wake or performance.

ive thought about this many times and I always go back to my SSLxi.

23 minutes ago, braindamage said:

I’d upgrade to zbox ($1k-ish) and keep the SSLxi. It’s not worth $6-7k more to have a smaller, not as comfortable boat with little to no difference in wake or performance.

ive thought about this many times and I always go back to my SSLxi.

That's my gut feeling as well.

Thanks braindamage

Edited by WoodyBC

ZO is nice but the latest PP with ZBox feels pretty much identical to me.

12 Response will have nicer carpet, better vinyl, more reliable gauges and electrical, smoother throttle operation, and a bit better handling.  If you garage it, it'll give you a bunch more room as well.

For me, it'd come down to two things.

1.  Do I need more room in the garage?

2.  Am I just bored of my current boat and want something new?

If the goal is to make you a much better skier, the Response won't really help you with that.

9 hours ago, WoodyBC said:

I've got a great problem...… Keep my 01 Sunsetter LXI, Monsoon or buy a 12 Response (Not TXI, or LX).

We only use the SS LXI to ski our course, barefoot every once in a while and cruise the small private lake. All kids are grown, no tubing, partying, wakeboarding etc. Slalom is really about it, but it is nice to have the extra room. Rarely if ever are the front seats used. Back seat has been out for years. Boat is in great shape, 750 hours, and no trouble at all with the boat. I would need to replace the sundeck skin and add Perfect Pass to this boat if I keep it.

Looked at a 2012 Response with 450 hrs with Zero Off. Beautiful shape. Built as a hard core ski boat. Not even a radio in it. 340 hp. After being in the boat (on the trailer) the first thing I noticed is that it seemed really small. 

I really enjoy challenging myself on getting through the course. 15 off is the best I've done so far but continuing to improve. Heres the question. Am I really going to notice a difference in the ski wake with the Response over the SS? And if you have done something similar by trading "up" for a smaller boat, any regrets?

Thanks Everyone!

Woody

I know a couple of people that ski at that site, they take very good care of there boats.  Skied it a couple of times also.  

Edited by onamission
4 hours ago, WoodyBC said:

Really great responses fellas, thank you. I would love to take it out and ski a few sets and I would but the Response is winterized already. Seller has offered to put the boat back in for a few runs which I would take him up on prior to purchase. Michigan 10 day forecast isn't looking tho. Maybe if it warms up. I really don't have to have a closed bow, nor do I see myself skiing better because of it. I'm no threat to the championship by any means, just a recreational skier trying to improve. Radio, not an essential accessory, may not even put one in.

To upgrade (downsize) would cost me about 8-9K. If I don't get the Response, I would be putting about 2k into the SS LXI by adding PP the new sun deck skin.

It seems like I would be sacrificing a really versatile great condition boat (that I love), for one that would have a touch better wake and not much room to do anything else.  

Keep the SSLXI, it is a known. Plus you may end up with grandkids someday and need the space. 

3 hours ago, UWSkier said:

ZO is nice but the latest PP with ZBox feels pretty much identical to me.

12 Response will have nicer carpet, better vinyl, more reliable gauges and electrical, smoother throttle operation, and a bit better handling.  If you garage it, it'll give you a bunch more room as well.

For me, it'd come down to two things.

1.  Do I need more room in the garage?

2.  Am I just bored of my current boat and want something new?

If the goal is to make you a much better skier, the Response won't really help you with that.

The boat stays on a covered lift all summer so the storage space isn’t an issue. Not bored with the SSLXI at all. Actually love the boat. From the feedback I’m getting, I won’t see a huge difference in the wake and performance, just minor differences in a smaller boat. I could definitely appreciate the better quality vinyl and carpet in the 2012, it was really nice. 

2 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Keep the SSLXI, it is a known. Plus you may end up with grandkids someday and need the space. 

It’s been a while Boz!  Good to hear back from you. Yes still love the boat. My thing is that it still carries good value, needs a little interior work, and cruise control. Instead of fixing it up a bit, upgrading to something newer. Getting lots of positive feedback about keeping it. And you are right, maybe someday. Would get really crowded with a couple of little people in a closed bow. 

2 hours ago, onamission said:

it

I know a couple of people that ski at that site, they take very good care of there boats.  Skied it a couple of times also.  

What site? You have skied with me?

3 minutes ago, justgary said:

@WoodyBC-  How have you gone all this time without PP but you must have it now? 

Nope!  Nothing. Nada. Just old school throttle love trying to hold a constant speed. Which never works. We’ve only had a course for a few years, and not having PP is really hurting our progress.  That’s how this entire “get a newer boat” thing started. 

Yeah.  PP was the first mod I made to our boat when I bought it, and that was after driving a friend's boat with it one time. 

My thought at the time was that my wife would continue to pull me, but coming from an outboard, she decided she couldn't drive the Malibu since reverse is funky....  She found herself a loophole and crawled through it, never to drive again. 

But I like PP too! 

1 hour ago, WoodyBC said:

What site? You have skied with me?

By the sounds of the boat you described I thought it was the boat that the Dixboro club has for sale. 

Not sure if we have skied together or not.   I don't get out to the west side of the state to often. 

36 minutes ago, onamission said:

By the sounds of the boat you described I thought it was the boat that the Dixboro club has for sale. 

Not sure if we have skied together or not.   I don't get out to the west side of the state to often. 

Don’t believe so. It’s a private seller.