Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Moomba?

OnlyInboards

Anyone have any experience with the Mobius XLV? There is an 04 on eBay now that looks pretty good. Anyone have any comments? I know it's not a Malibu... :(

Yes, lots of people have comments but, how should I say this so as not to light a fuse... coming from a CC you are probably an experienced boater and familiar with fit, finish, performance, quality and durability of a CC. I replaced a closed bow CC with a Malibu VLX because I saw those items were comparable, some a little better, some a little worse, than my CC.

If you honestly look at the different boats I believe you will see the difference. Now will the brand X float, yes. Will it reasonably pull boarders and surfers etc, yes. Will it look as good and hold the value as well as a CC or Bu, I don't think so. Bottom line is that there is a boat for everyone, some folks order hamburger because they they can't afford, or don't want to pay the extra for steak. Others prefer the difference and are willing to pay the little extra to get a higher quality cut. With boats you have the advantage of waiting and looking for a well maintained, high quality boat, a few years older, that will give you the "better cut" for the same price.

Thanks Texasguy. I've had my CC for 3 years now and have had zero problems at all.... well, my prop fell off once in the middle of the lake right after I bought it. I never thought to check that! I really love the boat but I just want to upgrade.

The comment on poop brown... that's funny but to each his own. I actually like the orange blue color combo a lot. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. On anotehr note, have you seen the heated discussion on planetnautique.com about how everyone here is supposedly all freaked out about the JD powers thing? It's interesting.

My daughters college team leased one last year thinking it would sell easier being cheaper, well it didn't sell so they are leasing it again this year. Not sure it is the same model as this. Bottom line, it sucks for wakeboarding which is what it was designed for. It sucks for slolom skiing, and it really sucks for barefooting. Gas guage always reads quarter tank, it leaks bad, bilge pump doesn't work. Shal I go on? They gotta get this boat sold next spring so they don't have to lease it again!

Update: Just looked at the pics, her college teams boat is smaller than this so my comments may not be an appropriate comparison to this model.

Edited by GONORTH

Looking at the boat pics, it just doesn't look like something that'll cary value very well (when you want to sell it again). I'd go out on a limb to say that there aren't many people that'd pay top dollar for those colors.

If you spent all your money on a CC when you could of had a 'Bu you would be strung a little tight too.

That may have been true years ago, but I don't think that is the case any longer...

'06 VLX fully loaded: $57,700

'05 210 Team fully loaded: $59,500

Or maybe we just got taken on our VLX. Crazy.gif

When I was in the market last year I compared Moomba to Malibu. Now at the time it was a financial issue I loved the BU but couldn't afford it. The BU interior was better, thicker upholstery, more creature comforts, (wind block, table), more storage (ballast under floor board), stereo location in a better spot(personal Preference). Malibu has been around for as long as I can remember. Moomba is somewhat of a newer company. Malibu's factory wake straight off the showroom is awesome. Moomba not so impressive. Last but not always thought about at the time is resale value. What I found was why buy a Moomba for a little bit less money and turn around and sell it in acouple years to buy a better boat. Why not wait 6 months to a year work your butt off and save a little cash or (pay off the truck, which I did) and buy the Malibu. It was a long 6 months of working 12 - 16 hour days but it was all worth it in the end when I bought my 06 Malibu VLX in March. Going from a CC to a Moomba I don't think you will like the Moomba, but take it out and ride behind it for a day. Then find someone to take you out behind a Malibu.

Good luck

I would compare the VLX to the 226 cause even though the cc is larger it only has the room of the VLX....the 210 is just tiny

Both boats are the "flagship" wakeboard boats, or they were at the time. The 226 is a much larger boat then the VLX, I don't know if you've ever been in one, or even stood next to one, but that boat is pretty large, much more comparable to a 23 LSV. Just my opinion. IMO the 210 isn't really all that tiny either, it's not a yacht by any stretch of the imagination, but I never had any problems packing all my stuff away in it.

If you spent all your money on a CC when you could of had a 'Bu you would be strung a little tight too.

That may have been true years ago, but I don't think that is the case any longer...

'06 VLX fully loaded: $57,700

'05 210 Team fully loaded: $59,500

Or maybe we just got taken on our VLX. Crazy.gif

Sounds a little high on the VLX to me.... but then again, everyone's definition of fully loaded is different. If it has $5-$10K in stereo gear, its probably about right. Imho, Its hard to argue that the VLX isn't quite a bit more boat than the 210.

As for the OP's question on Moomba's, I haven't liked the fit/finish on them either. I don't know what it will eventually sell for, but I've seen some 03/04 Malibu VLX's in the mid 30's, so given the Moomba's quality, and resale value, you'd want to ensure you buy it quite a bit cheaper than that. BTW, the colors don't bother me much on that Moomba - sitting on the tandem axle trailer, I think its a good lookng boat w/ good looking lines.

I've had the chance to ride in/behind 2 different Moomba's. One was a few year old V drive and the other was an 04 XLV.

One word can sum up both boats: Flexible!

The first one, we launched from the trailer and idled out of the no wake area, I was sitting pass. side in the rear corner. As we took off to get on plane I felt my butt go one direction and my back go another. The whole boat was flexing so bad you could feel it move! OMG!!!

The second caught me off guard when I jumped off the engine hatch/sunpad/deck area onto the swimplatform and it literally bounced me back up like a diving board - scary how flexible the thing was.

And you know, maybe that's all the fiberglass they need to be safe, and that flex doesn't really hurt anything. Maybe everyone else just overdoes it and has to charge too much. Maybe thin glass, thin gel, thin vinyl, and thin margins are a great way to move some boats as there are definitely a class of people who will buy anything shiny on a trailer!

Anyone except aneal000 posting here actually ridden in an XLV? It's no new Malibu, CC, or even Supra, but it is a kick a** boat, and probably the best value on the market. Great wakeboarding wake, especially for its size, and great surf wake.

If you're concerned about resale, you just shouldn't be looking at new boats. That 04 looks great (I love the orange & blue), and has already depreciated the most it ever will.

I have a friend who has a 18' Sea Ray currently and is looking to get a v-drive for wakeboarding. He would love to have a boat like my VLX, but it is out of the budget range, so he is looking at Moombas. They sell them at the local shop and can offer quite a deal on a brand new boat. They do look nice in the showroom and they have an Indmar engine. The fit and finish is certainly not like a Malibu, or a CC, but neither is the price.

Wasn't Moomba the company that advertised that for the price of some other new boats you can get a Moomba and a tow vehicle for the same price? Consider that. Buying a Moomba should be cheap enough(cause they built them cheap enough) to buy a tow vehicle too.

I've only been in one Moomba, but looked at used ones a few years back. They were a pretty cheap boat, don't overpay.