Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can’t hear my rev10s very well behind the boat

SCMike

If those amp specs are correct, the amp itself (not just the tune) is part of the problem.  200w per can = underpowered.  But still, even on "only" 200w they'd still be awfully loud.  

14 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

200w per can = underpowered.

A larger speaker is more efficient then a smaller speaker, therefore more power is not needed to drive it, even though it has the potential to handle more. So if 200W rms is good for a smaller speaker, the larger speaker will naturally play louder, even with the same wattage.   

I recently demoed a 2019 25 lsv with 2 pair of Rev 10s. I thought it was going to rock, but it was not all what I expected. My dealer told me that Malibu tunes the amps down to avoid a lot of warranty issues. They did say that amps have plenty of power, but need a Wetsounds tech to tune them correctly. 

Edited by bbattiste247
56 minutes ago, MLA said:

A larger speaker is more efficient then a smaller speaker, therefore more power is not needed to drive it, even though it has the potential to handle more. So if 200W rms is good for a smaller speaker, the larger speaker will naturally play louder, even with the same wattage.   

I think there's a lot more to it than that.  But I'll let you and david debate voice coils and whatnot.  

I'm not sure that larger size necessarily translates into more efficiency.  WS says Rev8 and Rev10 are equally efficient (92db at 1w), but maybe decibels are louder coming from the Rev10 than the Rev8?

But speaker efficiency wasn't really the point of my reply to begin with.  Rather that the amp that's been spec'd for the Rev10s in this case is sub-optimal.

Edited by shawndoggy
2 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

but maybe decibels are louder coming from the Rev10 than the Rev8?

decibels is the measure of loudness ... that would be like saying the MPH's are faster for fords than chevys ....  ;)

5 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

decibels is the measure of loudness ... that would be like saying the MPH's are faster for fords than chevys ....  ;)

Yeah, I know. Thank you for explaining the joke tho. 😜. And everyone knows that mphs are fastest from VWs. 

19 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I'm not sure that larger size necessarily translates into more efficiency.

Then why are we all not still rockin only 6.5" tower speakers? There is a reason we have progressed to larger and larger speakers. Yes, added mid-bass is a good part of it, but also output. Would you agree that a larger displacement engine offers more work then a smaller engine with the same throttle input? Same principal with a speaker. We get more out of it, without the need to put more into it. Sub woofers are a perfect example. A 12" woofer is going to yield more volume then a 10", even if they are powered the same. The larger speaker works less hard, or in other words, is more efficient. So yes, a larger speaker is more efficient. 

This would be very easy to demonstrate if you had an 8" and a 10" speaker on a 2 chnl amp. Both would receive the same wattage, yet you would hear the larger woofer more over the smaller. 

20 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

And everyone knows that mphs are fastest from VWs. 

True dat! :cheers:

23 hours ago, MLA said:

Malibu seems to have gone with a conservative tune, understandably. Even at full amp RMS, the 10" HLCD can certainly handle more wattage. How long have you had the boat? May talk with your dealer about loading the latest tube from Malibu as a start

I would 100% agree with this, the pretuned amps leave a lot to be desired.  Though, from what my dealer tells me, wetsounds will not a give them any tunes.  On top of the tunes being poor I've also found that these amps have lots of other issues, my port side in boats only coming on if I turn the volume all the way up, and all of my speakers struggling with low volume to the point where they will only play the deeper notes when it's turned down. 

Honestly the best, though far more work and expense, is to get amps you can tune yourself.  These are great for people who just want decent sound, but if you want loud at the rider you need to upgrade and have aftermarket installed

So to get the Malibu speaker cans you have to accept their amps and amp tunes.  Must be some nice cans!  There are lots of good options for amps and speakers out there, even getting Wet Sounds.  It seems like they are going for only the folks that know nothing about stereo systems or they assume that customers know nothing.

1 hour ago, CJAY said:

I would 100% agree with this, the pretuned amps leave a lot to be desired.  Though, from what my dealer tells me, wetsounds will not a give them any tunes.  On top of the tunes being poor I've also found that these amps have lots of other issues, my port side in boats only coming on if I turn the volume all the way up, and all of my speakers struggling with low volume to the point where they will only play the deeper notes when it's turned down. 

Honestly the best, though far more work and expense, is to get amps you can tune yourself.  These are great for people who just want decent sound, but if you want loud at the rider you need to upgrade and have aftermarket installed

I do not know the malibu warranty statistics, but if this forum is any indication, id say these amps do not have lots of other issues. Ive read of some amp issues here, but not many. Your system sure has an issue. 

Id first make sure the latest tune is loaded. Next, if your issues have been diagnosed and found to be generated by the amp, I see no reason why your dealer would not swap it out under warranty. 

4 hours ago, minnmarker said:

So to get the Malibu speaker cans you have to accept their amps and amp tunes.  Must be some nice cans!  There are lots of good options for amps and speakers out there, even getting Wet Sounds.  It seems like they are going for only the folks that know nothing about stereo systems or they assume that customers know nothing.

I’m not sure the Malibu amps are a requirement for Malibu cans.  Quite possibly you can have your dealer order just the speakers without the amps, but that not what I did.  Again, in hindsight I might have been better off ordering the amp aftermarket, but I wanted the warranty and peace of mind that came with the Malibu option.   

Edited by SCMike
1 hour ago, MLA said:

I do not know the malibu warranty statistics, but if this forum is any indication, id say these amps do not have lots of other issues. Ive read of some amp issues here, but not many. Your system sure has an issue. 

Id first make sure the latest tune is loaded. Next, if your issues have been diagnosed and found to be generated by the amp, I see no reason why your dealer would not swap it out under warranty. 

I'm not sure this forum is much of an indication, way too small of a sample size.  I know the local tige dealership was having tons of issues with the same amps and were really backed up on getting new ones due to it over the summer.

My dealer isn't exactly an audio shop, it's definitely the amps.  They can't get tunes in, so odds are we will just end up having new amps sent, problem is this issue has been on their radar since July, and still not fixed.  Part of this is due to their inexperience with audio systems.  The other part is on me for not wanting to take my boat there a bunch of times to recreate the problem over and over.  They really struggle finding it until I show them.  They 100% are trying to warranty them out, I don't hold anything against them on this at all.  

The big negative is it's hard to resell these amps, which makes the margin on new after market ones pretty large.  In the end I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and rewire and install tunable amps that give me more the sound I want anyways.  I just dread rewiring that tower and dropping 3K+ more on top of a few other things I was planning for the boat this fall.  On the positive side I'll be wring the LEDs right along with everything else

Edited by CJAY
4 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

If those amp specs are correct, the amp itself (not just the tune) is part of the problem.  200w per can = underpowered.  But still, even on "only" 200w they'd still be awfully loud.  

Yeah they aren't honestly great setups for any of us who like to really build good systems.  They are great for the avg person though.  Much better than previous RF systems for sure.  The big negative is there really isn't much a reseller market for tuned down amps tuned to a specific boat.  If I had not picked up my boat as a left over I would have ordered stereo delete for sure

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, shawndoggy said:

I think there's a lot more to it than that.  But I'll let you and david debate voice coils and whatnot.  

I'm not sure that larger size necessarily translates into more efficiency.  WS says Rev8 and Rev10 are equally efficient (92db at 1w), but maybe decibels are louder coming from the Rev10 than the Rev8?

But speaker efficiency wasn't really the point of my reply to begin with.  Rather that the amp that's been spec'd for the Rev10s in this case is sub-optimal.

Nothing to debate. Regardless of the Wetsounds specs, if you side-by-side A/B a Rev8 and Rev10, there's no doubt the Rev10s are louder 'overall' (across the entire spectrum...not @ peak).  

The first thing to do is make sure the amp has the most recent and correct tune.  Since this was a dealer order and not on the factory floor.  I assume the amp might not be tuned at all.  Or wrong tune.  You can have your dealer call us and talk with Jay and we can get them a tuner to flash the amp to make sure.  Same goes with anyone else having issues.  Make sure the amp has the right tune.  We have multiple tunes set for different systems.  But there is still human interaction in having to flash the amps.  So sometimes it might be possible the wrong tune got flashed.  Or the dealer mixed up inventory in the back if he ordered an amp flashed for rev 10 and one for icon 8 and so on.  Start there.  

Next thing is.  Make sure the radio is working properly.  BT volume, phone volume, wiring, settings and so on.  Also, check for polarity on speakers.  One speaker out of phase from the other could be the culprit.  Check all wiring and make sure each speaker is playing.  Make sure batteries are charged and perks to all.  I have seen a lot of issues and calls and majority are voltage related.  Amps get the blame, but when they have no voltage, they can't do their job.

The systems are the best combination of performance on the market.  Clarity, volume and reliability. If set up with the right tune, you should have all 3.  And the system should sound amazing and be great for the majority of boat owners.  Now, if you want more volume.  Increasing the power and swapping the tower amp to SYN DX4 bridged or a SDX-2 and get 400 watts to each would be an upgrade.  

You can always call us at 877-938-7757 and talk to our guys in tech.  We have a whole team ready to help you and your dealer.  

Tim

Wet Sounds

5 hours ago, wetsounds1 said:

The first thing to do is make sure the amp has the most recent and correct tune.  Since this was a dealer order and not on the factory floor.  I assume the amp might not be tuned at all.  Or wrong tune.  You can have your dealer call us and talk with Jay and we can get them a tuner to flash the amp to make sure.  Same goes with anyone else having issues.  Make sure the amp has the right tune.  We have multiple tunes set for different systems.  But there is still human interaction in having to flash the amps.  So sometimes it might be possible the wrong tune got flashed.  Or the dealer mixed up inventory in the back if he ordered an amp flashed for rev 10 and one for icon 8 and so on.  Start there.  

Next thing is.  Make sure the radio is working properly.  BT volume, phone volume, wiring, settings and so on.  Also, check for polarity on speakers.  One speaker out of phase from the other could be the culprit.  Check all wiring and make sure each speaker is playing.  Make sure batteries are charged and perks to all.  I have seen a lot of issues and calls and majority are voltage related.  Amps get the blame, but when they have no voltage, they can't do their job.

The systems are the best combination of performance on the market.  Clarity, volume and reliability. If set up with the right tune, you should have all 3.  And the system should sound amazing and be great for the majority of boat owners.  Now, if you want more volume.  Increasing the power and swapping the tower amp to SYN DX4 bridged or a SDX-2 and get 400 watts to each would be an upgrade.  

You can always call us at 877-938-7757 and talk to our guys in tech.  We have a whole team ready to help you and your dealer.  

Tim

Wet Sounds

Thank you Tim!  I really appreciate you jumping in here to help.  I’ll be taking in my boat to the dealership soon to get some winter work down.  I’ll have them check the tune then, and will recounted reaching out to you for guidance.  

I don’t think it is a BT issue as I checked that.  Also, I charge my batteries before each outing with my onboard charger.  I think those are ok.  

I think the culprit here is the Tune, but won’t know for certain until I bring it in. 

Mill say that the rest of the system sounds amazing!  I just expected more out of the Rev10s given their reputation.  

Thanks again. 

Just now, SCMike said:

Thank you Tim!  I really appreciate you jumping in here to help.  I’ll be taking in my boat to the dealership soon to get some winter work down.  I’ll have them check the tune then, and will recounted reaching out to you for guidance.  

I don’t think it is a BT issue as I checked that.  Also, I charge my batteries before each outing with my onboard charger.  I think those are ok.  

I think the culprit here is the Tune, but won’t know for certain until I bring it in. 

I will  say that the rest of the system sounds amazing!  I just expected more out of the Rev10s given their reputation.  

Thanks again. 

On 11/5/2018 at 3:51 PM, wetsounds1 said:

Tim

Wet Sounds

Appreciate the follow up.  I will contact me dealer tomorrow and tell them this, the boat is still sitting in their shop waiting for some other warranty things to be done.  My dealer seems to think they can't get the tunes from you, so I'll have them call.  I know it's not battery or stereo related, because I can recreate it no matter what my battery level or how I have my stereo and bluetooth set, or if I just have my phone plugged in directly.  When I first noticed it I tested all sorts of things.

I do think upgrading the amps is in my near future though

1 minute ago, CJAY said:

Appreciate the follow up.  I will contact me dealer tomorrow and tell them this, the boat is still sitting in their shop waiting for some other warranty things to be done.  My dealer seems to think they can't get the tunes from you, so I'll have them call.  I know it's not battery or stereo related, because I can recreate it no matter what my battery level or how I have my stereo and bluetooth set, or if I just have my phone plugged in directly.  When I first noticed it I tested all sorts of things.

I do think upgrading the amps is in my near future though

Def have them call us, have them ask for Jay. I am not sure why the dealer would think they can't get the tuners from us.  We do not give out the software and allow them to do their own tune.  I think that might be where the confusion has come from.  Since these are OEM installed systems and we have multi year warranties to honor for the boat manufacturer. We have them set up like this. Think of it like a car. You get a new car and it has a stereo system designed and tuned for that car.  The dealer can't go in and adjust everything on the amp.  Thats what aftermarket is for.  But we can send them a tuning device that flashes the amp with the most recent tune for a particular boat or tower set up.  That way you know for sure its set up right.

Tim

Wet Sounds

On 11/8/2018 at 3:58 PM, wetsounds1 said:

Def have them call us, have them ask for Jay. I am not sure why the dealer would think they can't get the tuners from us.  We do not give out the software and allow them to do their own tune.  I think that might be where the confusion has come from.  Since these are OEM installed systems and we have multi year warranties to honor for the boat manufacturer. We have them set up like this. Think of it like a car. You get a new car and it has a stereo system designed and tuned for that car.  The dealer can't go in and adjust everything on the amp.  Thats what aftermarket is for.  But we can send them a tuning device that flashes the amp with the most recent tune for a particular boat or tower set up.  That way you know for sure its set up right.

Tim

Wet Sounds

Perfect thank you