Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can’t hear my rev10s very well behind the boat

SCMike

I’ve got 1 pair of Malibu Rev10s on my 23 LSV and have to turn them up 100% in order to hear them at all while surfing or wake boarding.  Even then, I can’t clearly hear them.  I’ll be installing a Surf pipe this winter, hoping that will help.  I’ve heard great things about the Rev10s, but I’m not getting the performance I was hoping for.  Do I need a custom tune or a new amp?  The smaller of the two amps below is what’s driving the Rev10s.

4510855E-9694-46F2-A5EB-26BCADBE971E.jpeg

AFB19EEF-7E4D-42D2-BB80-B3F47F67F21D.jpeg

FC5A53AF-8F68-49BA-BA6C-1BAA29CDD133.jpeg

73C6625D-B576-4BB7-ABB3-C4065D70A71D.jpeg

ahopkins22LSV

Surf pipe will definitely help. I’ve also noticed that my icon 8’s sound way louder with the bimini up and not deployed. Obviously that isn’t always ideal just an observation. 

I also assume that even though the stock stereo and tube is much much better then previous Malibu setups, there is still a lot of juice being left behind due wanting to minimize warranty claims but that’s just a guess on my part. So you could look at selling the stock amp and buying your own so you can tune it yourself but I’d just start eh seeing how it sounds with surf pipe. 

Malibu seems to have gone with a conservative tune, understandably. Even at full amp RMS, the 10" HLCD can certainly handle more wattage. How long have you had the boat? May talk with your dealer about loading the latest tube from Malibu as a start

3 hours ago, MLA said:

Malibu seems to have gone with a conservative tune, understandably. Even at full amp RMS, the 10" HLCD can certainly handle more wattage. How long have you had the boat? May talk with your dealer about loading the latest tube from Malibu as a start

I’ve had the boat since April.  The rest of the system sounds great, but the Rev10s leave a lot to be desired.  I have a few off season warranty items I need to get done, so I’ll ask about the latest tune then.  Thx!

3 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Definitely should be able to hear them without a problem. 

That’s what I was thinking.  Maybe there is a new tune at @MLA suggested. If not, I may end up getting a new amp and see what that does.  

I’m not a stereo expert or profectionist, nor do I have rev 10s, but I can tell you I was critically disappointed in the volume of my rev 8s until my son turned the volume up all the way on my iPhone. (Streaming BT from iPhone to boat). Hope it’s that simple. 

1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

I’m not a stereo expert or profectionist, nor do I have rev 10s, but I can tell you I was critically disappointed in the volume of my rev 8s until my son turned the volume up all the way on my iPhone. (Streaming BT from iPhone to boat). Hope it’s that simple. 

Wish it was that simple.  I definitely tried that. Haha! 

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

I spent a lot of $$$ on two pair of revs with ample power on prior boats only to find that I could NEVER hear them. The kids all rocked out. My wife could sing along wake boarding. But for me it was like a far off boom box. 

Finally I whined to my wife about it. She was like “oh. Yeah, I don’t like it loud in the boat while I’m driving.”  Ugh. 

😂

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I spent a lot of $$$ on two pair of revs with ample power on prior boats only to find that I could NEVER hear them. The kids all rocked out. My wife could sing along wake boarding. But for me it was like a far off boom box. 

Finally I whined to my wife about it. She was like “oh. Yeah, I don’t like it loud in the boat while I’m driving.”  Ugh. 

Same! I keep thinking the stereo sucks or my phone disconnected but nope my boat drivers don't like it loud :(

4 hours ago, SCMike said:

I’ve had the boat since April.  The rest of the system sounds great, but the Rev10s leave a lot to be desired.  I have a few off season warranty items I need to get done, so I’ll ask about the latest tune then.  Thx!

I have the WS version not Malibu branded but should be same thing.  My one pair with an old amp that was on 2 pair of 6" Exile speakers from 2003 and they are the loudest most clear awesome speakers I have heard.  I can hear the. Wakeboarding very well.  Surfing they pound.   I would honestly say that Malibu must have done something.  Those speakers are insane must be tune.  I never adjusted a thing and did not parallel channels for one set instead of 2 and they still rock.   I would say not the speakers.

• Like 2

I had an 2015 A22 with stereo pack 3 .  2 pairs of rev 410's. If I was surfing, my ears actually hurt it was so loud. It has to be a BT  volume issue or driver volume co trolls issue. Loved that setup.

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

Same! I keep thinking the stereo sucks or my phone disconnected but nope my boat drivers don't like it loud :(

That is too funny.  Sounds like you all need the wrist band with volume function.  It is considerably quieter in front of the speakers.  Driver should not be getting blasted anyway.  Its like turning down the radio to look for an address.  The struggle is real.

12 minutes ago, NHolladay said:

That is too funny.  Sounds like you all need the wrist band with volume function.  It is considerably quieter in front of the speakers.  Driver should not be getting blasted anyway.  Its like turning down the radio to look for an address.  The struggle is real.

Yea totally. Ive got an Apple Watch but normally who ever is driving hits mute so I cant do anything or if it's turned down my phone is still up on full. 

We can all admit to doing it.   Or the ducking when driving in underground parking Lol

2 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Those look like stock amps? One pair of rev10s from the factory? I thought Only 2 pair was an option?

They are the stock amps.  My dealer ordered the amp, speakers, and mounts and installed them when the boat arrived from the factory. 

1 hour ago, carguy79ta said:

I had an 2015 A22 with stereo pack 3 .  2 pairs of rev 410's. If I was surfing, my ears actually hurt it was so loud. It has to be a BT  volume issue or driver volume co trolls issue. Loved that setup.

It’s not a BT volume issue, I can tell you that with 100% certainty.  I’m thinking the amp is either not tuned for the rev 10s or underpowered.  

The question is how did Malibu tune them. I don’t think your dealer can tune those. One pair of revs was not an option. Do they have the one pair of rev8 tune? That’s the same amp I have for one pair rev8. 

Edited by teamerickson
9 minutes ago, SCMike said:

They are the stock amps.  My dealer ordered the amp, speakers, and mounts and installed them when the boat arrived from the factory. 

May not have the correct tune, since this was not an OEM install, but rather a post-build dealer level install. 

1 hour ago, NHolladay said:

Or a new driver😂😂😎 I love my wife!!😎

Edited by Sparky450
9 hours ago, teamerickson said:

The question is how did Malibu tune them. I don’t think your dealer can tune those. One pair of revs was not an option. Do they have the one pair of rev8 tune? That’s the same amp I have for one pair rev8. 

They were supposed to order the same amp that came with 2 pair of Rev10s.  I’m not sure what amp that was, so I assumed they installed the right one.  Based on the wetsounds website specs it looks like the amp will push 200, 375, or 750 watts.  I wonder if it’s wired to only push 200?

Does anyone know how to check how this what way the amp is wired? 

C0D74E97-2471-4D99-8D47-1011FCF1E66A.png

9 hours ago, MLA said:

May not have the correct tune, since this was not an OEM install, but rather a post-build dealer level install. 

This could very well be it.  Do you know if there is a factory tune for this amp that will drive these Rev10s well? 

Like teamerickson mentioned, I also was under the impression that a single pair of 10" HLCD was not a factory option, and we now know your setup was dealer installed. So the amp tune could be designed for 2 pair or some other tower setup. 

40 minutes ago, MLA said:

Like teamerickson mentioned, I also was under the impression that a single pair of 10" HLCD was not a factory option, and we now know your setup was dealer installed. So the amp tune could be designed for 2 pair or some other tower setup. 

Correct, it was not a factory option, i had the dealer order all of the parts and install them for me.  According to most everyone on this forum, a single pair of rev10's should be more than enough, thats why i had them order the parts separately instead of having 2 pair of rev 10's installed at the factory.   I like the way the Malibu cans look better then the stock Wetsounds cans, and i also like that they are under warranty.  Hence the reason for ordering this way and having my dealer install.  In hindsight, i might have been better ordering the amp aftermarket and having it tuned for the rev 10's.  

I'll be taking the boat in for some small winter warranty items in a few weeks, i'll have them look at it then.  If they cant fix it, i'll eventually replace the amp.  Maybe a next winter project if i'm still not satisfied after the surf pipe install.