Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Inside design of ETX CAT?

hawaiianstyln

Does anyone have or know the inside design of the ETX CATs?  My issue in the tech section I've narrowed my problems back to the port ETX CAT.  I removed the manifold and hooked to a hose, plugged the two outbound water ports and water ended up flowing out #8 and #6 exhaust ports on the manifold.  Which would mean a crack on the inside of the manifold.

Shouldn't these manifolds be separate chambers/jackets from exhaust to water (hence the hole purpose/design of them)?  Understanding the inside design if anyone has it, will help me validate.

If you're looking for a new manifold go to MichiganMotorz.com. They sell factory OEM manifolds and would probably be able to help you out with your technical questions on inside diagrams etc. Good site for anything engine related. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Does anyone have or know the inside design of the ETX CATs?  My issue in the tech section I've narrowed my problems back to the port ETX CAT.  I removed the manifold and hooked to a hose, plugged the two outbound water ports and water ended up flowing out #8 and #6 exhaust ports on the manifold.  Which would mean a crack on the inside of the manifold.

Shouldn't these manifolds be separate chambers/jackets from exhaust to water (hence the hole purpose/design of them)?  Understanding the inside design if anyone has it, will help me validate.

These manifolds are made much like all marine manifolds. They are double wall castings. From inside to outside, exhaust passage, 3/16” metal, 1/4” water passage gap, 3/16” outer metal casting. So if you have water getting into the exhaust passage during your test, there could be a crack in the exhaust wall, or one of the core plug locations could be leaking. No matter how the water is getting thru, it isn’t really practical to try and fix. You most likely need to replace the manifold. 

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, pinelakefootin said:

If you're looking for a new manifold go to MichiganMotorz.com. They sell factory OEM manifolds and would probably be able to help you out with your technical questions on inside diagrams etc. Good site for anything engine related. 

Yah I was surprised how much they are selling them for versus others ($120 cheaper than other places).  That place might be my new go to for parts. 

4 hours ago, csleaver said:

Look into installing the exhaust replumb kit, if it hasn't been done already.

hmmmmm I just saw that when I was researching how much I can get an ETX CAT Port riser for.  I found one for $879 and then saw something about a replumb kit.  Details?

nm found the info on bakes

Indmar ETX Cat Re-plumb Kit for all GM 5.7L and GM 6.2L ETXCAT Manifolds. This kit re-routes the cooling system of the exhaust manifolds to help them run cooler and prevent overheating. If your manifolds show any heat scaring or the ETXCAT sticker is getting damaged from heat, most likely you need this re-plumb kit.

and my ETX sticker is nearly falling off or warped.  This will be a much needed buy, thanks for that

The sticker can also come loose or get damaged from heavy listed surfing where less water goes through the CAT, that’s what an Indmar mechanic told me and they have denied warranty because of it in some cases, 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

The sticker can also come loose or get damaged from heavy listed surfing where less water goes through the CAT, that’s what an Indmar mechanic told me and they have denied warranty because of it in some cases, 

I should be good on that.  We don't surf much at all.  I had heard that heavy listing could cause issues.  Grew up surfing in Hawaii most of my life and now just want to fly high behind the boat :)