Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterization Fun

Yeah, I couldn’t tell if the nozzle end was sitting on top of the piston or just teetering on falling all the way in which was the scary part.  I was afraid with my luck, the piston was at bottom dead center and the instant I touched the nozzle it was going down to the bottom.  I knew I could turn the engine with a wrench and fish it out after a lot of cussing but that wasn’t what I had planned for today.  Luckily it worked out okay.  lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SkiPablo said:

Glad you got it out!  Heard you can tape a 1” masking tape flag on the straw to keep that from happening 

Good idea...will definitely do that next time.   I was holding the nozzle a good 1-2" away from the hole since the stream was so strong, but once it came off it was a perfect shot.....right in.

I guy on my hockey team is a boat mechanic and he told me last night that you can crank the engine and it should shoot right out if you were to get it stuck in the cylinder.

Edited by Hemmy

I have come close to doing this by accident and now I ALWAYS hold onto that straw so that it doesn't pop off or shoot in there.  I will have to find the can that @Hemmy posted, I haven't seen those before.

1 hour ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I have come close to doing this by accident and now I ALWAYS hold onto that straw so that it doesn't pop off or shoot in there.  I will have to find the can that @Hemmy posted, I haven't seen those before.

Walmart

• Like 1

Although they are not boat engines, I see high end race engines taken apart on a daily basis that sit for months so based on that I will continue to fog.

Will you ever have a catastrophic failure from not fogging and the engine sitting only 6 months?  No, however I have seen catastrophic failure for longer time frames though.

Will your cylinder walls be in better shape with less surface rust and pitting if you fog?  Yes, 100% without a doubt.  This can be measured by the depths of the rust, how much has to be honed out of cylinder walls to remove this rust, and also blowby meters on a dyno.  I have seen all the after effects first hand and have had to correct them.

I didn’t look, but I imagine this has been thoroughly debated before and nobody is probably changing their routine based on this thread. 😉

• Like 1