Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear bench seat struts?

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV

Has anyone added gas struts to the rear bench seats? They give great access to the oil filter, winterizing spots, impeller, etc but they don’t stay up on their own. Just curious if anyone has done this and how to get a starting point?

My Sunsetter LX has gas shocks on the rear seat back, but I'm sure you're not talking about my boat since that's not where my engine is located.  Well, for that matter, my engine hood has struts also....  Pictures would help.

You should be able to calculate the strut locations to get the throw that you want.  The issue in your case might be that you might end up with the strut ends in a location that blocks access to the very place you need to reach.  In other words, the struts have to anchor somewhere, and that location is not completely arbitrary.

4 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Has anyone added gas struts to the rear bench seats? They give great access to the oil filter, winterizing spots, impeller, etc but they don’t stay up on their own. Just curious if anyone has done this and how to get a starting point?

Sounds like you REALLY need a winter project :lol:

19 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

2B384E51-B0BE-4F49-BF23-40D1572F2B9E.thumb.jpeg.c512330321197d8409c4d59013f34e66.jpeg

Best picture I have. The two rear facing seats. I guess now that I think about it, struts won’t work because of the storage tubs.

Maybe see if you could replace hinges with the type that can be slipped apart so the seats could be easily removed. 

• Like 1

What if you put the spring hinges that Axis has used in the past?  You could cut a piece of the plastic out of the bin to install the gas strut or the spring thingy bobber into glass.

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Mine stay in place if you open them far enough (they wedge against the back rest). Made winterizing super easy! 

I wish mine did! Maybe I can just wedge a towel in them though to keep them up. 

Hello AhopkinsVTX....I have a 2016 vtx which I purchased this past spring. When winterizing I was thinking the same thing as how to keep the rear seat hatches open. Not only to give access to oil filter etc. But also when drying things out at the end of a great day. Those friction hinges look interesting, unfortunately my boat is now in winter storage so access is limited. Let me know if you figure out a solution.

cheers Mike

• Like 1

Those friction hinges look great, I may try those on my rear seats as well. I have to prop them open with tennis balls to let the seat bases dry after a day on the water.