Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me find the right tonneau cover for me

Nitrousbird

On 10/29/2018 at 8:20 AM, wedge88 said:

Mine is just the Flex.  Never had to lift the cover to close the gate.  I've had this truck 2+ years and the cover was on it when I bought.  I also see in your excel sheet that you're concerned that the cover is offset from rear window when open.  I have driven to our hunting lease 2-3 times with cover in open position and never had an issue and our hunting lease is 4.5 hours away at mostly 75-80mph driving.  I was skeptical as all my other trucks had over the rail lift up covers except for the last one.  That truck had a Pace Edwards switchblade which was noisy when rear window was open, couldn't hold any weight and I was locked out of it a few times with ice in the rails.  

I also just have the Flex and have never had to lift the cover to close the tailgate.  I don’t really like folding it all the way up to the cab though (nice to have the option but don’t like not having visibility out rear window).  If I know I’m gonna need the whole bed I just take it off.  Once the rails are all mounted up, install/uninstall time is like 2-3 min.  I will def buy another on my next truck.

When I was looking at the Ultra Flex covers, one of the models had  integrated luminous rail light under the cover.  I suppose that isn't much of an addition  if you already have lights! My 09 doesn't have them. Not sure if it was an option back then.

1 hour ago, KDCr7 said:

When I was looking at the Ultra Flex covers, one of the models had  integrated luminous rail light under the cover.  I suppose that isn't much of an addition  if you already have lights! My 09 doesn't have them. Not sure if it was an option back then.

I guess i dont know how common it is.  Just assume that if it is standard on a mid trim ram that most trucks have them. 

14 hours ago, KDCr7 said:

Looks great! Did that one come with the lighting?

Yes.  Haven't installed it yet and I'm not sure if I will.

12 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I guess i dont know how common it is.  Just assume that if it is standard on a mid trim ram that most trucks have them. 

My truck has multiple in-bed LED lights and the overhead light.  Which is why I may not install these and I really don't need them.  My Avalanche and Escalade EXT also had bed lighting, though the Escalade's was pretty poor (oddly, the Avalanche's wasn't).

• 10 months later...

I just bought an undercover ultra flex. I was leaning towards the armor flex since the price is so close to the ultra, I thought why not? Called my order in and was advised of a $100 mail in rebate on the ultra. That was incentive enough for me to go with the ultra. 

If you’re going to order one or any tonneau cover for that matter, you need to give these guys a call or email. Seriously, best prices around. Their website is a little janky, but I just paid $710 (after rebate). This is the second cover I’ve bought through them. They price way below MAP which is why you need to call/email for their real price. http://truckalterations.com/

89A77A55-C0A4-47E4-9D44-862D674F92B2.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread.  I am looking for a cover for a Tacoma short bed.  I have a Retrax MX Pro on my big truck and its awesome but it costs some bed space, so I don't think I am going to go that route with the little Tacoma.  Is the undercover ultra flex still consider one of the best options?  Bakflip?  Any other suggestions for a small-bed truck?  

30 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

I thought I'd resurrect this thread.  I am looking for a cover for a Tacoma short bed.  I have a Retrax MX Pro on my big truck and its awesome but it costs some bed space, so I don't think I am going to go that route with the little Tacoma.  Is the undercover ultra flex still consider one of the best options?  Bakflip?  Any other suggestions for a small-bed truck?  

I had the undercover flex on my last truck. It was a solid bed cover that did its job. I have the bakflip on my truck now. In my opinion the bakflip is better. Everything is the same except you can close the tailgate with the cover all the way down on the bakflip. With the flex, you would have to lift the back section up, close the tailgate, then let the cover all the way down so it didn’t crush the rubber flap on the end. 

Last day for 15% off + $100 rebate on the Undercover Ultra Flex.  Spoke to product support this morning and they claim you no longer need to lift up the back section to close the tailgate.  You should call to confirm

1 hour ago, Matt5115 said:

I had the undercover flex on my last truck. It was a solid bed cover that did its job. I have the bakflip on my truck now. In my opinion the bakflip is better. Everything is the same except you can close the tailgate with the cover all the way down on the bakflip. With the flex, you would have to lift the back section up, close the tailgate, then let the cover all the way down so it didn’t crush the rubber flap on the end. 

The undercover ultraflex allows you to close the tailgate without lifting the cover. I had one on my last truck and loved it. I plan to order another one for my new truck as soon as they’re back in stock. 

2 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

The undercover ultraflex allows you to close the tailgate without lifting the cover. I had one on my last truck and loved it. I plan to order another one for my new truck as soon as they’re back in stock. 

I just had the undercover flex. I didn’t know there was an ultra flex. In that case, I would go with whichever you can get cheaper.

It seemed like a coin flip.  So I flipped and went with the ultra flex.

Actually I think I like the carpet a little better and the fact that it does not touch the truck when open since I'm a bit of a paint freak.  

17 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

It seemed like a coin flip.  So I flipped and went with the ultra flex.

Actually I think I like the carpet a little better and the fact that it does not touch the truck when open since I'm a bit of a paint freak.  

This was the same reasoning I used for the ultra flex.  Had the flex on a previous truck and put the ultra on my 3500HD and it's a huge upgrade.  

I called RealTruck and asked for best price.  I am not sure how much better or worse the price was versus others but it was less than posted price and I believe I am also getting a mail in rebate when it comes.  

10 hours ago, BearCreekBum said:

Looks like I missed the 15% off deal by one day.

If anyone finds a sale on the Flex Ultra please post up here.

TIA

Call Luke at truck alterations. I posted the link earlier in this thread. He’s always done better than 15% off anyway.