Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me find the right tonneau cover for me

Nitrousbird

I've been doing more search...and let's just say I've 100% given up on being able to walk on the thing.  Or put anything of weight on it.

My concern now is that it is something where the latches don't break and doesn't leak.  That alone seems to be a challenge.  I'm mostly looking at hard tri-fold and hard roll-ups...these damn things typically range from $800 - $1300.  At that price for some sheets of aluminum and plastic I'd expect a high-quality product.  

2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I've been doing more search...and let's just say I've 100% given up on being able to walk on the thing.  Or put anything of weight on it.

My concern now is that it is something where the latches don't break and doesn't leak.  That alone seems to be a challenge.  I'm mostly looking at hard tri-fold and hard roll-ups...these damn things typically range from $800 - $1300.  At that price for some sheets of aluminum and plastic I'd expect a high-quality product.  

Maybe a lomax? Claims to support 400lbs, looks like most other covers. 

https://www.agricover.com/lomax/

• Like 1

Pace Edwards bedlocker. I have had I think five of them. If installed correctly they leak very little if at all.  Take your time on the install. However, I am not sure how it will work with ice. Here in Cali we don’t worry about ice. Sand and dirt does not bother them, just have to blow them out if it gets in them. I have seen two people lay on it total of over 500 lbs.  heck I had my gooseneck come off and land on one and it sprung back in place and I continued using it for about 2 years til I sold the truck  

have your checkbook ready  

http://www.pace-edwards.com/bedlocker

9 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Pace Edwards bedlocker. I have had I think five of them. If installed correctly they leak very little if at all.  Take your time on the install. However, I am not sure how it will work with ice. Here in Cali we don’t worry about ice. Sand and dirt does not bother them, just have to blow them out if it gets in them. I have seen two people lay on it total of over 500 lbs.  heck I had my gooseneck come off and land on one and it sprung back in place and I continued using it for about 2 years til I sold the truck  

have your checkbook ready  

http://www.pace-edwards.com/bedlocker

In general anything that rolls or slides in a track doesn't fare very well in places that have winter.  Same issues that those power nerf bars have, everything gets full of ice and jams up the works.

ahopkins22LSV

I’ve had great luck with my two last covers, truxedo lo pro qt and the gator cover equivalent. They roll up and have faired just fine in our winter. They do leak a tiny bit when the truck is sitting during a heavy rain but I’ve heard the ones that mount in top of the bed frames are much better at preventing leaks. No experience with them though. I didn’t originally suggest these as it didn’t meet the standing on criteria but it might be worth some research. Much easier on the wallet too. 

2 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’ve had great luck with my two last covers, truxedo lo pro qt and the gator cover equivalent. They roll up and have faired just fine in our winter. They do leak a tiny bit when the truck is sitting during a heavy rain but I’ve heard the ones that mount in top of the bed frames are much better at preventing leaks. No experience with them though. I didn’t originally suggest these as it didn’t meet the standing on criteria but it might be worth some research. Much easier on the wallet too. 

Those appear to be soft covers?  If so, then sure because the ice and snow will want to pop off pretty easy.  I'm talking about the rollup and sliding hard covers that have tons of little hinges

28 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Those appear to be soft covers?  If so, then sure because the ice and snow will want to pop off pretty easy.  I'm talking about the rollup and sliding hard covers that have tons of little hinges

Ok, water runs in when rolled and freezes between the gaps. Then The gap cannot close if the ice wont break out. :(

I did work in Tahoe a couple years and did not have a problem. But that was only in the single digits. :lol:

They are very secure and solid. I have all of my tools in mine, close it and it looks like an old mans truck, not a contractors with 10k plus in tools.:)

Edited by Sparky450
3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Bedlocker looks real nice, what do they run price wise, it’s a referral to dealer network for pricing

https://paceedwardsdirect.com/p/pace-edwards-bedlocker-tonneau-cover/v/ford/f150/2017/

I have been buying direct. Price sucks, the first one I bought was approximately $1,500.00 15 years ago. But I wouldn't use it if it wasn't electric

28 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

Ok, water runs in when rolled and freezes between the gaps. Then The gap cannot close if the ice wont break out. :(

I did work in Tahoe a couple years and did not have a problem. But that was only in the single digits. :lol:

They are very secure and solid. I have all of my tools in mine, close it and it looks like an old mans truck, not a contractors with 10k plus in tools.:)

Yeah, that even used to happen on my backflip occasionally.  Water would get in the side tracks and freeze solid so the lid wouldn't open at all. 

Rollups.  Seriously.  They're the way to go for 90% of truck owners.  Access Lorado and Truxedo Lo-Pro are both great.  Been using them since '02 and wouldn't ever consider anything else.  I've got my whole family hooked on them.

• Like 1

I have this one on my truck - i haven't' tried walking on it, but I do carry boxes up there at times, and they are at least as heavy as me.  Only leaks are where the rubber strip doesn't go all the way to the sides where it meets the tailgate.

https://bakindustries.com/retractable-covers

My dad's truck has this one - what I don't like on it is the vinyl cover over the metal - wonder how it will hold up to the elements. No leaks at all, but I cannot tell you about carrying weight, just have never tried it.

https://rollnlock.com/truck-bed-products/m-series-tonneau-cover

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Rollups.  Seriously.  They're the way to go for 90% of truck owners.  Access Lorado and Truxedo Lo-Pro are both great.  Been using them since '02 and wouldn't ever consider anything else.  I've got my whole family hooked on them.

If you have zero need for security then they are fine.  I can't own one because they don't protect what is in the bed from theft.  In the winter I've typically got 3K worth of skis in the bed of my truck in the downtown parking lot.  If you get the kind with the bows like I had on my 02 F150 for a while then you get what is probably the best weatherproofing short of a one piece fiberglass cover available.  And they are cheap enough that in 2 years when it has shrunk from sitting out in the sun 24/7 you can replace it and still be $$ ahead.

Edited by oldjeep
34 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

If you have zero need for security then they are fine.  I can't own one because they don't protect what is in the bed from theft.  In the winter I've typically got 3K worth of skis in the bed of my truck in the downtown parking lot.  If you get the kind with the bows like I had on my 02 F150 for a while then you get what is probably the best weatherproofing short of a one piece fiberglass cover available.  And they are cheap enough that in 2 years when it has shrunk from sitting out in the sun 24/7 you can replace it and still be $$ ahead.

If you have a locking tailgate, there's no way to open one without cutting it.  As I said before, it's unlikely that a thief is going to cut into a tonneau looking for something as most beds are empty all the time, and they can't see inside.  When they do a smash and grab on a car window in over 90% of cases it's because they can SEE something they want to take.

And in the off chance some a-hole DOES cut into the cover and take my ski or something, that's what insurance is for.

Non-issue IMO unless you regularly park in the hood.

5 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

If you have a locking tailgate, there's no way to open one without cutting it.  As I said before, it's unlikely that a thief is going to cut into a tonneau looking for something as most beds are empty all the time, and they can't see inside.  When they do a smash and grab on a car window in over 90% of cases it's because they can SEE something they want to take.

And in the off chance some a-hole DOES cut into the cover and take my ski or something, that's what insurance is for.

If you park in a downtown St. Paul parking ramp - that is the hood regardless of how many nice cars are around you.  Best insurance is adequately securing you belongings. 

As for no way to open it without cutting it - anyone familiar with them knows that you just slide something thin under it and trip the cable.  They have the same problem that the bakflip covers have

Edited by oldjeep
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

If you park in a downtown St. Paul parking ramp - that is the hood regardless of how many nice cars are around you.  Best insurance is adequately securing you belongings. 

As for no way to open it without cutting it - anyone familiar with them knows that you just slide something thin under it and trip the cable.  They have the same problem that the bakflip covers have

Truxedo has a gasket in the way.  No way to hook anything to pop it open without a bunch of hardware.

I must have gotten lucky.  Parked in downtown Milwaukee with mine for 8 years with no issues. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

And, unfortunately thieves can pop the tailgate as easy as they can pop the truck door.  The problem there is Plastic latches - easily pushed through with a screwdriver.  If they want to get in they'll find a way.

Just now, REHinH20 said:

And, unfortunately thieves can pop the tailgate as easy as they can pop the truck door.  The problem there is Plastic latches - easily pushed through with a screwdriver.  If they want to get in they'll find a way.

Right... There's always a way in if they're determined.  But most of them are lazy.  They won't bother unless they know for a fact there's something in there for them.

I don't know about my new truck, but on my Escalade I could pop the locked tailgate open in under 2 seconds with a long screwdriver without damaging anything.  When the tailgate locking mechanism failed (causing it to always be locked), I had to do that for a couple weeks until I got around to fixing it.  Stupid easy to do if you know what you are doing.

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I'll confirm this....worked downtown Milwaukee for several years.  Never took an entry to auto complaint from a truck bed unless it was a work truck.  The ones I did take from cars/trucks/suvs all had items visible from the outside.  The one that sticks out in my mind was the woman that had a bunch of wedding planning magazines in a laptop looking shoulder bag sitting on a back seat.  It goes without saying, out of sight, out of mind.  Not even a cell phone charging cable.  

I rarely leave anything in my truck bed and if I do it's my golf bag.  If someone happens to steal them, insurance claim and I get new sticks and I still suck at golf.  

• Like 2
20 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Maybe a lomax? Claims to support 400lbs, looks like most other covers. 

https://www.agricover.com/lomax/

I really like this unit. If it folded against the cab as well, I would have already ordered it.  If it was less than the other tri-fold covers it would also be on order. I have to weigh my options further. 

5 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I really like this unit. If it folded against the cab as well, I would have already ordered it.  If it was less than the other tri-fold covers it would also be on order. I have to weigh my options further. 

Hadnt looked close enough to see that.  That would be a pain, still covering 1/3 of the bed when full open. 

7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Hadnt looked close enough to see that.  That would be a pain, still covering 1/3 of the bed when full open. 

It looks easy to remove...easier than everyone else. And usually I only need two covers pulled.  I think it is probably the best quality option out there. 

1 minute ago, Nitrousbird said:

It looks easy to remove...easier than everyone else. And usually I only need two covers pulled.  I think it is probably the best quality option out there. 

The bak stuff is pretty easy to remove, just 2 knobs.  Not that i will ever buy one again. Lomax is one of the nicer looking covers ive seen.