Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat cover pooling/ tower seal leak

Hey crew,

having endless trouble trying to keep rain water out of my 20 mxz which is driving me crazy.

I recently took the cover to a repairer, they fitted 2 adjustable poles with vents, 1 behind the windscreen and the other near table insert hole.

When it rains the water runs straight towards the tower, pools up and constantly runs into the tower seal and then into the boat, see attached photos where it pools at the base of the g3 tower

if anyone has ideas or even photos of covers that could help that’d be great 👍

https://ibb.co/n7tCVf
https://ibb.co/dG1MO0
https://ibb.co/ksrMO0
https://ibb.co/hVtMqf
https://ibb.co/bUYzbL

Could just be the angle of the photos, but it appears if the nose is lower than the stern.  If this is true it would explain why it is pooling by the windshield and to the front of the tower. Need to get the nose up if it is low. With the two cover poles it is creating a "tenting" effect and causing low spots for the water to collect in too.  

Over time with the pooling it stretches the canvas and allows the water to pool easier each time.  May need to take it to a shop and have them remove some material so that the cover is taut again so that it will shed water easier.  Probably need to reseal/waterproof the cover again as well.  

That cover looks like it wasn't made right. There shouldn't be any sagging anywhere. Maybe try to look at other MXZ covers.

I think the back pole needs to move further back. And it needs to be longer. Make it as long as you can. Have someone cover it with you inside, to adjust it right.

You could add cover extensions around the tower base and have them velcro tightly closed. Then the water couldn't make them sag into the boat.

Edited by JasonK
16 minutes ago, JasonK said:

My cover has additional material around the tower legs that goes up the tower about 3 inches and ties with rope.

Yeah I’ve seen other covers with that. I think that’s what my cover needs! Do you have a photo by any chance? I’ve tried to search but can’t find any close up photos to show the repairer.

15 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Could just be the angle of the photos, but it appears if the nose is lower than the stern.  If this is true it would explain why it is pooling by the windshield and to the front of the tower. Need to get the nose up if it is low. With the two cover poles it is creating a "tenting" effect and causing low spots for the water to collect in too.  

Over time with the pooling it stretches the canvas and allows the water to pool easier each time.  May need to take it to a shop and have them remove some material so that the cover is taut again so that it will shed water easier.  Probably need to reseal/waterproof the cover again as well.  

Thats really the only spot I can park it is on a downward slope, definitely half the problem. I’ve just got some sunbrella waterproof spray so when it’s dry I’ll spray it.

1 minute ago, Matho818 said:

Thats really the only spot I can park it is on a downward slope, definitely half the problem. I’ve just got some sunbrella waterproof spray so when it’s dry I’ll spray it.

Can you put some type of block (Thick piece of wood with a divot in it so the tire can't roll around) under the dolly jack and jack the bow up higher?

6 minutes ago, JasonK said:

That cover looks like it wasn't made right. There shouldn't be any sagging anywhere. Maybe try to look at other MXZ covers.

I think the back pole needs to move further back. And it needs to be longer. Make it as long as you can. Have someone cover it with you inside, to adjust it right.

You could add cover extensions around the tower base and have them velcro tightly closed. Then the water couldn't make them sag into the boat.

It’s never been a good fit, I just spent money trying to get it repaired but I should have just bought a new one 🙄

31 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Can you put some type of block (Thick piece of wood with a divot in it so the tire can't roll around) under the dolly jack and jack the bow up higher?

Kinda hard to tell by the photos but I’d have to jack it up pretty high, especially to stop the water pool at the tower base 

18 minutes ago, JasonK said:

I'm buying a new cover this winter. Who made your cover?

Not sure on that as there is no label anywhere, I got the boat used and it came with that cover

If you aren't going to do a new cover I would invest in the hang tyte - that will pull the cover up and help prevent the pooling.  Ever since I put one on my covers I don't get pooling.