Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
LateNightSalami

Center Pylon on 2008 VTX

Recommended Posts

LateNightSalami

I have a 2008 VTX. Ski's pretty well but doesn't have a center pylon, only a rear one. Is there a way to install a center pylon on these older cross over boats?

I think I read somewhere that the VTX was class C tournament rated back in 2008 so this isn't a critical mod for my purposes but I wanted to see if it was even feasible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LateNightSalami

Anyone?...Beuller...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

I think you’d be in for a major project. There is extra reinforcement in our floor that I can see by locking through the mid ship floor access hole. You’d have to take the whole floor out somehow and tie in the reinforcement into the stringers which I’m not sure how you would do. Then redo the floor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michigan boarder

Nice username.  I love some late night salami, roll up 5 or 6 slices & wash down with a beer.

Sorry, no help on the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparky450

@Michigan boarder you have me worried!!

Do you ever share the late night salami with your wife!:lol:

Edited by Sparky450

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John I.

Not sure that the entire floor would need to come out, but you would need to cut an opening to access the 2 center stringers to install the horizontal frame that holds the pylon in place. Was the removable center pylon available on the '08-era VTX? If so, I would ask your local dealer if all the components to retrofit one are still available from Malibu. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
13 minutes ago, John I. said:

Not sure that the entire floor would need to come out, but you would need to cut an opening to access the 2 center stringers to install the horizontal frame that holds the pylon in place. Was the removable center pylon available on the '08-era VTX? If so, I would ask your local dealer if all the components to retrofit one are still available from Malibu. 

Started as an option in 2013 I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
5 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Started as an option in 2013 I believe. 

Yup 2013-2015 would be the potential doners.  This is not a project I would attempt, the consequences of failure are really severe. 

Edited by oldjeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LateNightSalami
13 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Yup 2013-2015 would be the potential doners.  This is not a project I would attempt, the consequences of failure are really severe. 

The second I saw "major reinforcement" up above I knew this would be a project for a dealer to do if it was even possible. I just wanted to ask around here and see if this was something I could put on the list to eventually get done. Sounds like not too many have done it so it is unclear if it is even possible for a dealer to do. Guess I'll have to ask them directly, I might be heading over to Tommies Detroit today to pick up some parts anyway (though going there is way out of my way).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
4 hours ago, LateNightSalami said:

The second I saw "major reinforcement" up above I knew this would be a project for a dealer to do if it was even possible. I just wanted to ask around here and see if this was something I could put on the list to eventually get done. Sounds like not too many have done it so it is unclear if it is even possible for a dealer to do. Guess I'll have to ask them directly, I might be heading over to Tommies Detroit today to pick up some parts anyway (though going there is way out of my way).

Due to the what the potential failure it could be, I’m not sure a dealer would do it either. But it’s definitely the only route I would go. Might be cheaper to buy a used 2013 though :lol: 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX
Grammar hard in the morning...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagleboy99

I talked to a buddy of mine who builds boats - he says this is doable, but likely crazy expensive.  You'd have to rip up the floor etc.  He also said he's installed them in wood boats (Chris Craft knock-offs) and they used an internal aluminum H-shaped support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LateNightSalami
50 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I talked to a buddy of mine who builds boats - he says this is doable, but likely crazy expensive.  You'd have to rip up the floor etc.  He also said he's installed them in wood boats (Chris Craft knock-offs) and they used an internal aluminum H-shaped support.

Are we talking like 5k or 20k type of deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagleboy99

I'll ask - but I suspect the latter rather than the former.  It is like upholstery work:  the material is about 10% of the total cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Endurance

A good resource would be Barefoot International. The Seipel brothers designed and prototyped a good number of the OE pylons out there today. They're amazingly helpful if you send them an email or pick up the phone. My guess is that their suggestion will be to sister some aluminum channel or angle next to your existing stringers. Maybe you would want to have a ladder-type structure fabricated that picked up two stringers. You would likely use big stainless lags with Cavasil or Kitty Hair between the aluminum and your stringers. You'd then bolt your pylon to the reinforced aluminum structure. Yes, you would have to pull at least sections of your floor for this, but that isn't as big of a deal as it sounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55

You ever see what happens to a boat that goes to glass shop for work inside of the boat, I bet as particular  you seem to be that it would drive you nuts just doing the fine cleaning after the major surgery in your boat.  This type of mods are fir old boats with rotten floors and stringers in need of repair , not mods to a functioning solid boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...