Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater Y fitting Mod

LateNightSalami

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 11:55 AM, SmoothWaterMan said:

I've got one Heatercraft Y fitting left in stock, if someone wants it.  $50 shipped.

Peter

Still have it ? 

Edited by granddaddy55
On 10/23/2018 at 2:42 PM, kerpluxal said:

perfectly understand now, return hose from heater to before raw water pump... this would make draining easier as well... then cap the old re-entry?

Yes, 5/8npt, or it becomes the hot to the shower valve?, which probably isn’t that hot and may not need a mixing valve , thought I read posts about a shower hose and nozzle straight off a similar pre made spot on circulating pump housing on older model Malibu ?

Edited by granddaddy55
On 12/17/2018 at 9:31 PM, justgary said:

Wow, I can get $50 for the one I have but never used?  Wow. 

Yes you can , be glad to buy it cause I’m waiting on my ordered one that has no delivery date yet and that add said minimum two week backorder due to demand, probably everybody that read this thread ordered or bought the last existing in stock anywhere 

Edited by granddaddy55
8 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Yes you can , be glad to buy it cause I’m waiting on my ordered one that has no delivery date yet and that add said minimum two week backorder due to demand, probably everybody that read this thread ordered or bought the last existing in stock anywhere 

I threw it in the junk box, so I have to dig it out.  I'll PM you when I can lay my hands on it... probably tonight.

Going on a few months now with my pump setup...  No Y required.  The ability to sit with the engine off and have heat is awesome.  I turn the blower speed to low when we stop but I've sat for 15 mins with the engine off and had heat the whole time.  And it costs less than a Y.  :)

On 12/20/2018 at 2:00 PM, UWSkier said:

Going on a few months now with my pump setup...  No Y required.  The ability to sit with the engine off and have heat is awesome.  I turn the blower speed to low when we stop but I've sat for 15 mins with the engine off and had heat the whole time.  And it costs less than a Y.  :)

I have no more acc switches to add in dash area after adding three to my two oem and using them for stereo install , no more!!

But your $15 pump is really cool

On 12/20/2018 at 9:17 AM, justgary said:

I threw it in the junk box, so I have to dig it out.  I'll PM you when I can lay my hands on it... probably tonight.

As long as it’s 1.25

10 hours ago, Woodski said:

Can anybody provide the diameter of the small orifice in the 5/8" leg going to the heater core?  Thanks.

Sorry , why that?  Your small hoses definetly fit over it , their 5/8 hoses aren’t they?

https://heatercraft.com/products/low-idle-wyes?variant=37946054347

Edited by granddaddy55
On 12/20/2018 at 9:17 AM, justgary said:

Any luck ?

@granddaddy55:  Not looking for the hose size, as you note the hose will fit, I am looking for the size of the small hole inside the tube.  They put a small plug with a hole in it inside the tube to restrict water flow so that there is pressure in the heater core.  If @justgary has it in a tool box he should be able to assist :)

On 12/26/2018 at 11:39 PM, granddaddy55 said:

Any luck ?

I have put a few hours into looking for it.  Don't give up on me yet, but it wasn't in the junk box. 

@Woodski- as I recall, it is only about 1/8" or so.  Maybe slightly larger.  I was surprised at how small it is. 

7 hours ago, justgary said:

I have put a few hours into looking for it.  Don't give up on me yet, but it wasn't in the junk box. 

Thanks for even trying, don’t sweat it to hard as I have the back order paid fir at bakes

7 hours ago, justgary said:

@Woodski- as I recall, it is only about 1/8" or so.  Maybe slightly larger.  I was surprised at how small it is. 

Really , that must be some awful thick plastic(just read about insert) for that to be the case, but makes sense if it’s same thickness as 1.25 part, and I guess is to magnifi Venturi effect that larger whole won’t accomplish  or is it the back pressure you spoke of

@Woodski what are you doing with that measurement ?

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Really , that must be some awful thick plastic for that to be the case, but makes sense if it’s same thickness as 1.25 part, and I guess is to magnifi Venturi effect that larger whole won’t accomplish 

@Woodski what are you doing with that measurement ?

Huh? No one is talking about thickness...

If I had to guess, @Woodski is making his own. 

5 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Huh? No one is talking about thickness...

If I had to guess, @Woodski is making his own. 

Thickness of wall that would create a 1/8 hole from a 5/8 overall thickness of that branch ,  I didn’t read the insert part till later and edited that I missed it, ok building one makes sense , their not available anywhere as even heatercradt  direct is a two to three week delay 

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV

If I recall correctly when I installed one in our TXi the construction is just a 1.25" pipe welded to a .625" pipe at a 30 ish degree angle with a hole drilled in the 1.25" pipe. There is no wall thickness change or pipe size reduction.

Ok that means the now plastic Y is 1/4 inch thick plastic , (5/8-1/8” opening per you  =1/2” ) 1/4” per side , as I said pretty thick 

Wood ski mentioned an insert above , I read and do math , though I admit to limited ability on both fronts , 

So it must be an insert and walls of plastic except barb ring might be just 1/8

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV
19 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Ok that means the now plastic Y is 1/4 inch thick plastic , (5/8-1/8” opening per you  =1/2” ) 1/4” per side , as I said pretty thick 

Wood ski mentioned an insert above , I read and do math , though I admit to limited ability on both fronts , 

So it must be an insert and walls of plastic except barb ring might be just 1/8

You must be reading a different thread than I...

There is no discussion of plastic, or the thickness of the Y, nor did Woodski mention an insert. What did you put in your morning coffee?

Edited by ahopkinsVTX