Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 TXI - Barefoot International B202 Deluxe Universal contour Boom

soundingbusy

Hi All 

Have a 2014 Response TXI with the 6 litre (marginally big engine cover than 350),  Is anyone using the Barefoot international B202 deluxe universal contour boom on the drivers side.

Just want to ensure that it fits.  

Any comments tips would be most appreciated.

Thanks 

Simon 

Edited by soundingbusy
grammar

Just a silly question: why the driver's side?  I thought about putting the boom on the driver's side, but decided that it would be easier to balance the weight with the boom on the other side. 

8 hours ago, justgary said:

Just a silly question: why the driver's side?  I thought about putting the boom on the driver's side, but decided that it would be easier to balance the weight with the boom on the other side. 

Its always the side  we have used and from observation I have only ever seen a boom used on the other side when two booms are being used simultaneously for various antics.   

Points I can think of  for driver side usage include:

- the natural direction around a lake has the footer on the outside rather than turning into them, 

- easier communication etc between driver and who or what is happening on the bar. 

- it may be more natural for right handed to swing out on that side. 

Reviewing the net you'll be hard placed to find someone footing  from the passenger side.

Never seen a driver side boom, never !  didn’t even know it was used that way , why complicate it with drivers seat

seemd like it would complicate  a high speed belly shuffle out on boom, my favorite way to start with or without  a handle waiting for me at end to swing out on when I come down off  boom to water  

Edited by granddaddy55
6 hours ago, soundingbusy said:

Its always the side  we have used and from observation I have only ever seen a boom used on the other side when two booms are being used simultaneously for various antics.   

- the natural direction around a lake has the footer on the outside rather than turning into them, 

- easier communication etc between driver and who or what is happening on the bar. 

Reviewing the net you'll be hard placed to find someone footing  from the passenger side.

I realize that we are not directly answering your question, but I think that @mackie12 already did.

I decided that I'm not footing when other boats are on the water, so turn direction doesn't really matter.  Also, I really don't want turns anyway.

If I'm teaching someone, I'll get another driver so I can talk to the "victim" on the bar.  This is much easier on the passenger side.

This thread does show a boom on the driver side of @JB-FOOT's boat, but I have personally barefooted on that boat when the boom was on the passenger side.  Maybe he'll chime in.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/45371-post-your-barefoot-videos-here/

The gang on our lake all do port or observer side boom installs, the reason mainly the first guy set the precedent so it is just a habit.  We do use the observer for communication and belly slide out starts are done.  One advantage, the footer does not spray the heck out of the driver if they pull that stunt:-)   Appears there are good and valid reasons for either option, and I agree on the fact of the boom being in the way on the observer side, the one advantage for the curved version although still a step over issue.  Our 'stuff' in bags is always dropped behind the driver so the belly step out would be more clumsy on starboard side.  Have not thought much about it, but when setting up and waiting for the footer using a handle and floating in the water, the reverse right pull might be better with a port mount to keep the boat aimed forward rather than constantly spinning around the footer in the water, can the starboard side gang comment on that?  Our boom use has dropped off dramatically as the footer population has declined dramatically in the last few years.  I tend to go long line and use an Airboom which makes the tumble turns really nice.

Appreciate all the pro / con comments on which side to install, it only provides good tips for all of us and options to try, thanks and keep them coming.

I also use the boom to train new skiers, offers a good communication option and the lift from the upward pull helps newbies get up quickly to ski rather than spend a lot of time learning a deep water start or getting discouraged early in the process.

I'll send the boom out either direction depending on what I'm doing.  Passenger side is nice for balancing the boat when you're light on people, but is one more thing to be climbing over.  I like the driver side for pulling footers because it lets me see the person and adjust speeds accordingly without needing input from someone else that may not know what they're talking about, especially for pulling things like back deeps.  While the BI is a nice burly boom, height adjustments are a pain unless you spend another hundred on their height adjuster.  I've got a Bemman on mine that has 4 different heights right at the clamp, and they're a bit lighter than the BI's, and just have the single cable, so pack up a little smaller.  

Edited by TomH
7 hours ago, soundingbusy said:

Everyone that I know has the boom on the passenger side.

i have an older Malibu and have the b202 and use mine on the drivers side.  i have to move up the seat a little but I keep the boom tight against the seat once I install it.   I would recommend (1) 18" extension to get out of the spray.

Edited by SkiPablo
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 13 TXi and the boom out the drivers side.  I have the ls3 engine ... so monster cover ... and it works.

yes a little snug against the drivers seat but you tie the boom properly and it’s fine.

as a competice coach, out the drivers side is the way to go.

best coaching, best vantage point for driver to correct. Best to recover footer after fall. Best to get started ... can see and correct everything.

drivers side is the only way I use one unless ahem ... I’m slumming ... my opinion ...