Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pro negotiators - any new buying tips?

Nitrousbird

What do you need max towing for, are you getting ready to buy a much much bigger boat? Oops I forgot you may have a camper, I’m pretty sure you previously stated this is not a daily driver?

and your not getting the 10 speed, didn’t realize GM participated in developing that gear box but doesn’t offer it on trucks, 

so if it wasn’t a 10 speed I don’t see the big diff between s 6 snd 8 speed 

6 speed with 3.73 is a strong combo even in my 2.7 eco ford

i think negotiating stupid hard by phone combined “short” stops at dealership to show them your serious is just as effective.  

What about priority mailing a huge deposit check or certified check made out to dealer with conditional endorsement on back of the vin of desired unit at a price on memo line in front .  They won’t negotiate/deposit your check that way till they have a signed buy order.  You only need to verify the starting sales price and that there are no add in charges on buy agreement , the computers apply the incentives correctly ( some incentives are sales  taxed by certain states)  the cash delivery price at bottom you will be close if not exact to your own calculations without cost of sale items like title and license , sales tax you know 

money talks , bullsh** walks   

The check is you and crystallizes your intentions 

point of this method is to get a STUPID discount , stick to your guns and say “ok, please send my check back “,  they won’t do this, no way, you’ll simply become that 1% who gets a better deal than the rest of us

besides, these same models in two months will be much more discounted, and s STUPID cheap deal will be the common deal on 18’s, necessitating an even further STUPID offer, also at least when it comes to bonus and commission checks  for  dealer general sales managers, as well as expiration of some incentives so the last day of month is still meaningful , salesman know they will often be selling rock bottom deals 

even great deals at end of November are common deals at end of December and January 

Edited by granddaddy55
1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

What do you need max towing for, are you getting ready to buy a much much bigger boat? Oops I forgot you may have a camper, I’m pretty sure you previously stated this is not a daily driver?

and your not getting the 10 speed, didn’t realize GM participated in developing that gear box but doesn’t offer it on trucks, 

so if it wasn’t a 10 speed I don’t see the big diff between s 6 snd 8 speed 

6 speed with 3.73 is a strong combo even in my 2.7 eco ford

besides, these same models in two months will be much more discounted, and s STUPID cheap deal will be the common deal on 18’s, necessitating an even further STUPID offer, also at least when it comes to bonus and commission checks  for  dealer general sales managers, as well as expiration of some incentives so the last day of month is still meaningful , salesman know they will often be selling rock bottom deals 

even great deals at end of November are common deals at end of December and January 

3.73 can only be had on a SLE model, which I won't consider.  10-speed is only available on the '19 6.2L currently...way out of what I'm willing to spend.  No camper, but like the extra margin for towing.  Max Trailer also gets you a different rear end and springs as well.

As for discounts later on...true, any leftovers they want to get rid of.  But there is no guarantee that GM Financial will be offering $12,198 off of base MSRP, as that number only popped up recently and unless renewed, will expire on 10/31.  Could it continue or even be better?  Sure...could also get worse.  Now I'm happy to squeeze into a late October deal to get every penny out of them.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

3.73 can only be had on a SLE model, which I won't consider.  10-speed is only available on the '19 6.2L currently...way out of what I'm willing to spend.  No camper, but like the extra margin for towing.  Max Trailer also gets you a different rear end and springs as well.

As for discounts later on...true, any leftovers they want to get rid of.  But there is no guarantee that GM Financial will be offering $12,198 off of base MSRP, as that number only popped up recently and unless renewed, will expire on 10/31.  Could it continue or even be better?  Sure...could also get worse.  Now I'm happy to squeeze into a late October deal to get every penny out of them.  

You won't get a better deal from Laura than what's on their website if you go that route.  I've sent 5 people their way and everyone ended up paying what's on the site, which TBH is better pricing than I've ever seen anywhere else.

The rebates are funky.  When I bought my Denali from them in 2016, they had my truck's identical twin as well.  Optioned literally exactly the same.  Mine was about $14.5k off MSRP.  That one was around $8k off.  At the time, the best discount on an SLT (which I was originally shopping) was around $12k.  It made the Denali a no-brainer.

And you're right on them changing on Oct 31.  What I've seen is most of the rebates go away at month end then come back a week or so later, but possibly on different trucks.

On towing, I have the 5.3L and tow a boat on tandem that's probably about 800lbs lighter than yours, but I go over a mountain pass every time on the way to the lake.  The 5.3L, 3.42, and 8 speed tows very very well.  Lots of folks dog the 8 speed for being a bit clunky at times but I rarely notice that.  Just smooooth shifting and always the right gear without needing to sit on the torque converter when plodding up a 5% grade.

What are we talking for towing capacities for the 6.2 max towing anyways?? Finding ratings for the correct model is annoying. They advertise like 12000 or so but I sure can’t find that number. 

On the ford, it’s 12600 I believe for the average super crew 3.5L. 

For me it would be really hard to get away from our 3500 Chevy gas. Handles weight like a beast, isn’t a daily driver and with the prices of the new ones. 

38 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

What are we talking for towing capacities for the 6.2 max towing anyways?? Finding ratings for the correct model is annoying. They advertise like 12000 or so but I sure can’t find that number. 

On the ford, it’s 12600 I believe for the average super crew 3.5L. 

For me it would be really hard to get away from our 3500 Chevy gas. Handles weight like a beast, isn’t a daily driver and with the prices of the new ones. 

I think it should be in here.  

https://www.gmc.com/content/dam/gmc/na/us/english/index/about/trailering-towing/02-pdfs/GMTB18CT100-2018-gmc-trailering-guide.PDF

Not sure where you work, but many large companies have pre-negotiated discounts with vehicle manufacturers. If you work for a big outfit check with your benefits admin to see if there is a program set up. As the son of a Ford dealer, I know that the price I was able to get through my job was less than the price I could get my old man to give me.

Have you Holman GMC in Batavia? They have ALOT of trucks, especially optioned out, like having a ton of trucks with the 6.2L. They had more 6.2L Denalis than anybody in the country when we bought our  2015 Denalis.

7 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

12,500 2WD Crew Cab short box or double cab standard box with Max trailer pkg, which you can't find.  Otherwise, it is the same as the 9,100 that the 3.42 geared trucks have, regardless of transmission.

5 hours ago, Burton167can said:

Not sure where you work, but many large companies have pre-negotiated discounts with vehicle manufacturers. If you work for a big outfit check with your benefits admin to see if there is a program set up. As the son of a Ford dealer, I know that the price I was able to get through my job was less than the price I could get my old man to give me.

No discount there.

I walked into the local dealer I drive by daily today.  Drove a Z71 truck, which I'm not really looking for but that's what they had.  Found the exact same (I'm talking identical other than $200 floor matts).  Their offer was $4400 more for the same truck.  I showed them my quote from Laura GMC and they didn't even try - shook my hand and I was on my way.  I've shared the quote to a couple other dealers that were sending me offers today...each quickly said their good bye's after me sending the breakdown of the quote.

Now let's talk what is available at Laura GMC

Trucks of interest.  All have black interior, sunroof and Premium Plus.  Price list below doesn't include tax (7%), but does include doc fee (very reasonable $189 compared to everywhere else I see),the $1,000 GM financial discount and my $500 Costco cash.

#1:  Summit white, 5.3, non-Z71:  $40,808
#2:  Summit white, 5.3, Z71:  $41,572
#3:  Summit white, 6.2, Z71:  $43,518

Think I will see the $2,710 + tax ($2900 total) difference in resale vs the non-Z71/5.3 truck?  I'd prefer a 6.2 with no Z71 but you won't find it.  The Z71 I drove rode well enough that I can deal with it...not quite as smooth as my Escalade but good enough.  The 6.2 will draw buyers in come resale time for sure but will they pay more for it?  I wouldn't expect the full $2900 in resale back if I sold it at 10 years/100k on the clock (because I did get to enjoy those features for that time/mileage), but like the idea of getting something for the extra I spent.  Obviously if I dump it at 5 years any good options will have a little better resale margin.  Plan is to keep it for 10 years unless the same kind of deals come about when the next body style is released, then it could be game on again if the money makes sense.  

Thinking resale on something you drive is a sucker bet. But no, after 5 years you won't see much if anything for your extra 3k.  Might sell it faster.  Need to start thinking in terms of what the options are worth to you and view the 40k plus as spent. In 10 years that truck is worth maybe 7-8k

Edited by oldjeep
ahopkins22LSV

I’d personally go z71. I do feel it advertises better when selling. Plus the skid plates are a decent option to have and you get different rear suspension that adds towing right? (Not 100% sure on that)

Personally the 5.3 is perfect for me and has plenty of power in Michigan and gets great fuel mileage but since you tow to Tennessee a few times a year and it’s only 2k more, I’d be hard pressed to not get the 6.2. FWIW, 43 was a pretty good deal on a new 2017 early in the year... for a Chevy 5.3. I did a little better then that but not a ton. 

7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Thinking resale on something you drive is a sucker bet. But no, after 5 years you won't see much if anything for your extra 3k.  Might sell it faster.  Need to start thinking in terms of what the options are worth to you and view the 40k plus as spent. In 10 years that truck is worth maybe 7-8k

7-8k, lol, maybe if it is wrecked.  Go look at the 2007 - 2009 GMC SLT Crew Cab 4x4's for sale.  A quick Car Gurus check on anything with 100k or less on the clock is right around 18-20k (obviously options/condition make a difference).  That's why I'm not interested in another used truck, they hold their values too well, especially with reasonable miles.  Hell, the dealer low ball trade in offered me 8k on my '07 Escalade EXT with 161k on the clock and he knew I wasn't really interested in trading it in.  A little different vehicle, obviously, and market looks like I should get around 12k for it private party.  Paid 16k + tax for it 2.5 years ago, though in hindsight I should have passed on the deal and kept shopping as I think I could have done a little better.

ahopkins22LSV
11 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’d personally go z71. I do feel it advertises better when selling. Plus the skid plates are a decent option to have and you get different rear suspension that adds towing right? (Not 100% sure on that)

Personally the 5.3 is perfect for me and has plenty of power in Michigan and gets great fuel mileage but since you tow to Tennessee a few times a year and it’s only 2k more, I’d be hard pressed to not get the 6.2. FWIW, 43 was a pretty good deal on a new 2017 early in the year... for a Chevy 5.3. I did a little better then that but not a ton. 

Quick google search, z71 give upgraded shocks and locking rear diff. So yes I’d for sure go with the z71 for the rear diff a lone. 

Sooooo I looked at their inventory, damn those prices are crazy... do they have a Chevy dealer? :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

7-8k, lol, maybe if it is wrecked.  Go look at the 2007 - 2009 GMC SLT Crew Cab 4x4's for sale.  A quick Car Gurus check on anything with 100k or less on the clock is right around 18-20k (obviously options/condition make a difference).  That's why I'm not interested in another used truck, they hold their values too well, especially with reasonable miles.  Hell, the dealer low ball trade in offered me 8k on my '07 Escalade EXT with 161k on the clock and he knew I wasn't really interested in trading it in.  A little different vehicle, obviously, and market looks like I should get around 12k for it private party.  Paid 16k + tax for it 2.5 years ago, though in hindsight I should have passed on the deal and kept shopping as I think I could have done a little better.

Well good luck.  10 year old trucks for 18k, there is a reason they are still for sale.  Maybe market is different there, here every 4th vehicle is a full sized truck - market is packed with used trucks for cheap. 

In any event, looks like you have some good choices, i would want a 6.2 in a gm product. 

52 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Well good luck.  10 year old trucks for 18k, there is a reason they are still for sale.  Maybe market is different there, here every 4th vehicle is a full sized truck - market is packed with used trucks for cheap. 

In any event, looks like you have some good choices, i would want a 6.2 in a gm product. 

Is that because they are rusted through?  Here in the desert I'm totally with @Nitrousbird... half tons are gonna be $15K with 150000 on the clock.

24 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Is that because they are rusted through?  Here in the desert I'm totally with @Nitrousbird... half tons are gonna be $15K with 150000 on the clock.

Not typically.  Just hard to sell a 10 year old truck for big bucks when there are hundreds of them around and you can buy new in the 30's

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Quick google search, z71 give upgraded shocks and locking rear diff. So yes I’d for sure go with the z71 for the rear diff a lone. 

Sooooo I looked at their inventory, damn those prices are crazy... do they have a Chevy dealer? :lol: 

Think GMCs all come with locking rear diff regardless of Z71.  I know my Denali has one.  But you're right about the shocks.

EDIT:  Google Search says SLTs all come with the locking diff

And on the Chevy thing, I wish.  I really wanted an all blue Chevy with color matched grille and black bow-tie.  Still think that combo looks better than any of the GMCs.  Couldn't find one anywhere that was within spitting distance of the price of my Denali.  Oh well.  I still like my truck a lot.

Edited by UWSkier
ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Think GMCs all come with locking rear diff regardless of Z71.  I know my Denali has one.  But you're right about the shocks.

EDIT:  Google Search says SLTs all come with the locking diff

And on the Chevy thing, I wish.  I really wanted an all blue Chevy with color matched grille and black bow-tie.  Still think that combo looks better than any of the GMCs.  Couldn't find one anywhere that was within spitting distance of the price of my Denali.  Oh well.  I still like my truck a lot.

Could be, I just googled GM z71 package. 

And I agree. The gmc is an awesome looking truck but the color matched chevy’s are awesome. I still love my truck and very happy with the deal I got in February 2017 but I figured I’d i could flip it for no cost why not. But I don’t think my dealer is ready to move that much. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I would never get the z71 package again. My '15 the z71 was nothing more than badging and Rancho shocks that rode like crap.  most people were swapping them for billsteins.   Same for the FX4 on the new ford but was lucky enough to get one without the FX4 package.  I don't need all that 'performance' 90% of the time.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

I checked within 500 miles.  There will always be something for sale.  Same prices on CL, Facebook marketplace, Autotraders, Cars.com, dealer lots, etc.  Hell, just because I'm in Central Ohio trucks sell for more than the rural areas (go figure).

Had a long talk with the wife; I'm going to call tomorrow and get the ball rolling on the 6.2L.  $2900 more after tax over my base (non-Z71) option, but the 6.2 is worth it for me.  Plus I'm sure I'd be pissed not having it when I have it now...

28 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Not typically.  Just hard to sell a 10 year old truck for big bucks when there are hundreds of them around and you can buy new in the 30's

Sure, cloth split bench seat in the 30's.  Where are you finding a 4x4 crew cab with leather and buckets in the 30's?  

2 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I checked within 500 miles.  There will always be something for sale.  Same prices on CL, Facebook marketplace, Autotraders, Cars.com, dealer lots, etc.  Hell, just because I'm in Central Ohio trucks sell for more than the rural areas (go figure).

Had a long talk with the wife; I'm going to call tomorrow and get the ball rolling on the 6.2L.  $2900 more after tax over my base (non-Z71) option, but the 6.2 is worth it for me.  Plus I'm sure I'd be pissed not having it when I have it now...

Sure, cloth split bench seat in the 30's.  Where are you finding a 4x4 crew cab with leather and buckets in the 30's?  

Mine is a 4wd crewcab with buckets for 35k.  Leather would have been another 2k. Fwiw  bench vs bucket is like a $300 option

Good choice on the 6.2

Edited by oldjeep
ahopkins22LSV
8 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

I would never get the z71 package again. My '15 the z71 was nothing more than badging and Rancho shocks that rode like crap.  most people were swapping them for billsteins.   Same for the FX4 on the new ford but was lucky enough to get one without the FX4 package.  I don't need all that 'performance' 90% of the time.

They tweaked it in 17 and it rides much better now. Im very happy with my ride being it is the z71 and max tow. 

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Have you tried looking at dealers on the metro Detroit area? I’m crazing the Chevy market to maybe flip my truck for no cost to me (not looking like that will be quite possible), but I’ve been able to find plenty of max tow z71’s in the crew cab. They definitely aren’t as common but they are up here. I’d start with looking at this dealer in metro Detroit: https://www.lafontainegm.com/

As far as negotiating, I just hold firm at what the number I want. It goes round and round but walk away if you have to. Also wait u til the last week of the month. 

I'm looking for one as well. I was also inquiring if the dealer can add max towing as I think all it is are mirrors and upgraded springs....

20 minutes ago, Raimie said:

I'm looking for one as well. I was also inquiring if the dealer can add max towing as I think all it is are mirrors and upgraded springs....

Mirrors can be pretty cheap to add after the fact - the company that makes a lot of the factory mirrors also seems to sell them direct.  I added the power folding tow mirrors to my truck to replace the power fold little mirrors that it came with.

Got mine from https://www.1aauto.com/ for about $520 for the pair and 30 minutes of my time to install.  Not sure if they sell GM mirrors or not

Funny thing was that power fold tow mirrors isn't even an option on the 1500 (RAM) trucks, but it is on the 2500's - same mirrors fit both

Edited by oldjeep
23 minutes ago, Raimie said:

FWIW on the max tow package - doesn't appear to even include mirrors

What is Included in the Chevy Max Trailering Package?

The exact equipment included in the package varies depending on the model, trim, and configuration, but many of the features are common or similar throughout. This is the equipment that is for the 2018 Chevy Silverado 1500:

Automatic locking rear differential – This forces both of the rear wheels to turn in unison regardless of traction. In practice, it helps to keep larger loads under control.

Handling/Trailering Suspension Package – Special refinements to the suspension ensure that a heavy trailer does not lead to a turbulent drive.

Enhanced cooling radiator – The extra stress that tow loads put on the engine is compensated for with extra cooling from the radiator.

Revised shock tuning – This keeps the size and weight of tow loads from jarring the vehicle pulling them.

Heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR – The rear-end of the vehicle is beefed up to create a stronger link between the truck and the trailer.

9.76″ rear axle – This is used to boost pulling power.

Integrated trailer brake controller – St. Augustine drivers can tow safely when the trailer brakes are integrated into the cabin of the vehicle.

Trailering Equipment – All models with this package equipped come standard with trailering equipment like a tow hitch.

Edited by oldjeep

FWIW - I like the Z71 package on my '17.  It does ride a little firmer than non-Z71, but still a nice ride.  But for towing, it has better stiffness and it's noticeable.  My local dealer wont even put a non-Z71 on his lot, you have to order one if you want.  He said that he just cant sell them.  Around here, people look for the Z71 badge when you re-sale it too.