Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl Help

Hey all - had to pull my boat out of the water last Monday due to imminent flooding.  Parked it on my lot and had it covered the whole time (6 days), but it rained a lot.  When I took the cover off, I couldn’t believe how filthy the vinyl looked - almost like it had sat out uncovered for years.  

I tried vinyl sauce, 303, regular vinyl cleaner, Clorox wipes - this stuff just does not want to come clean.  It looks like spotty mildew and is stubborn as hell.  Any suggestions?

Man, less than a week and it looks like hell.  Really pisses me off to have grungy looking seats.

TIA - 

Todd

I had a similar situation happen this summer - boat was left covered on a lift for 2 months without any activity.  When I pulled the cover there was spotty mildew everywhere, heavy in some spots.  I scrubbed it with a medium bristle brush and Formula 409, and it all came out, looks perfect again.

Thanks all - if I could just get a break of more than a day with no rain I might be able to have some fun.  As it is I'm in a constant state of worry and stress about flooding and water quality and boat house damage...... I'll get a brush and some mildew remover this weekend - I was shocked at how stubborn it is after just one week.

I'm glad we are no longer in drought conditions but good lord - we are so waterlogged it is depressing.  The next 10 days are all rain and the temps dropped from 93 yesterday to 43 today.  Crazy days - mother nature is pissed off!  You know it isn't good when the local news crews show up on your boat ramp for dramatic effect - for the second time in a week.

Mildew doesn't lend itself to being wiped away, like dirt does. You need direct contact with a mold-killing chemical in order to get rid of mildew spots. Vinyl at a zoomed in level is a bit like a mountain range, with peaks and valleys. You need agitation in order to work the chemical into contact with all the mold/mildew (i.e. into the valleys). I've had a lot of success using a 409-type cleaner and a soft-bristled brush. Spray the chemical, let it sit for 2-3 minutes, and then agitate it with a bristled brush. I use one of those brushes that attaches to your drill. After that, you can wipe it away. Good luck, and I hope the weather dries out for you soon.