Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speaker Help Needed

crod

Ordering a 2019 24 MXZ and thinking of not ordering tower speakers or amp and getting something installed after delivery.  Considering a couple of options.  I'm not well versed in all the different options so help would be appreciated.  A couple of wants -- i want it to look good on the tower and sound great.  I don't necessarily need to be "that guy" on the water that blows everyone away.  Want good music that can be played loud if I choose and it sounds good.  Was leaning towards 4 Rev10s but worried about cabin height and the obnoxious look with 4 big 10" speakers.  I'm getting the G3.5 tower white with white speakers.  Going to run with a SD2 amp.  So....option 1 would be 4 Rev10s, option 2 2 Rev10s or option 3 4 Rev8s.  Could do the ICONs also but everything I read has pushed me towards the Revs.

Help appreciated.

Thanks!!

51 minutes ago, crod said:

Could do the ICONs also but everything I read has pushed me towards the Revs.

If you are wanting wake range projection, then yes, the HLCD, like the rev series, is the best. If your goals are more near field surf and party cove, then consider the 2 pair of 8" coaxial, like the icon-8, or 1 or 2 pair of 10" HLCD like the rev-10

8" coaxials and 8 or 10 inch HLCD can all play loud. An HLCD will do better for wake range projection. If you want more sound quality, then go with an 8" coaxial or the 10" HLCD. So you need more refine yours goals just a little. 

56 minutes ago, crod said:

and the obnoxious look with 4 big 10" speakers.

Truth be told, the rev-10 is not much larger pod wise, them others 8" pod. Yet you get about 40% more speaker surface. However, there is a noticeablel difference in hang height between the 8" wet sounds and 10" wet sounds pods.  

Hang height has me a little concerned.  4 10s is only going to cost me $120 more than 4 8s but still want the boat functional and look good.  Looks like they mount individually on the side so hoping that won't be an issue with bumping heads and hoping they hang high enough.  Any reco for a pair of 8s and a pair of 10s?

Don’t mix the drivers. It won’t sound right. Back before 10s I mixed pro80s and pro60s. Nope. Next season I figured out how to make pro80s replace the 60s. Much nicer. 

39 minutes ago, crod said:

Hang height has me a little concerned.  4 10s is only going to cost me $120 more than 4 8s but still want the boat functional and look good.  Looks like they mount individually on the side so hoping that won't be an issue with bumping heads and hoping they hang high enough.  Any reco for a pair of 8s and a pair of 10s?

bumping heads seems to be rare, as the speakers are mostly over the seats. Yes, mounting on the G3 uprights with a bracket is best. You can go with swivel mounts and angle the pods up just a little. This works well for surfing, as these boats ride a little bow high anyway, to angled up, puts them more parallel to the water, not the boat floor. 

In a perfect world, you want to drive different size speakers on different amp chnls. Pared together, you end up tuning to the smaller speaker. This can leave some of the larger speaker's performance on the table. 

In the end, you can always throttle back the volume via the volume dial, but you can make a speaker play but only so loud. 2 pair of larger 10" with ample power will likely be louder then most need, but you want be sitting back going, "wish I had more". Even at lower volume levels, the added mid-bass of the larger driver pays off. 

Lots of pics out there with that tower with 2 pair and 4 pair of 10's and 8's. I think the 4 10's looks good and does not take away from the function. I think 2 10's better then 2 8". 4 8's looks good. Just my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to hijack here...  but I am a newbie and have a question about this topic so here goes....

If we surf 50% of the time and wakeboard 50% of the time, and want the best of both worlds.....   Could I mix 1 pair of REV’s and 1 pair of ICON’s?  Would that sound ok or would the sound quality suffer?  

Thanks guys....

7 minutes ago, Mikep7799 said:

Could I mix 1 pair of REV’s and 1 pair of ICON’s?  Would that sound ok or would the sound quality suffer?

In a perfect world, this would require at a minimum, 4 amp chnls. 2 dedicated chnls for the HLCD and 2 dedicated for the coaxial. Then, 2 zone volume control for the HLCD and Coaxial. 

10 minutes ago, Mikep7799 said:

and want the best of both worlds.

Best of both worlds,  a single pair of 10" HLCD,  like the rev-10, properly powered. The HLCD gives you the wake range projection when wanted, but the larger 10" mid-bass driver adds balance to the HLCD, like a smaller coaxial.   

On 10/12/2018 at 4:04 PM, crod said:

They are off to the side on the 2019 towers, so not a huge deal.  I mean I still hit my head on them on my g3.5, but I hit my head on speakers no matter where they are.  4 rev10s is the way to go as long as you wire and power them correctly.  They sound amazing when done right, a little tinny when underpowered though.  The 8s lack the midbass the 10s have, and honestly I don't think they look as good.  I've been running 4 rev10s on my last 4 boats and wouldn't go with anything else. I ran 1 pair on my VTX and had to add a second pair after hearing my friends setup, so much better

Edited by CJAY
  • 2 weeks later...

I purchased 1 set of REV 10's and want to put them up into the corners so I am about to purchase the WS mounts for 2 sets of speakers.  Until now I haven't realized that I have to do something with my lights!!   I have a 13' with the G3 tower and 4 lights that are mounted on the speaker shelf (1pair facing forward and 1pair facing rearward).  I contacted WS and the dude was completely lost....  He asked to see pics of what I was talking about,  still lost......  Can I easily relocate these??  Will I have to do away with these completely?  I sure hope not...  Granted they aren't the best lights out there but they have come in handy on more than one occasion.... 

2 hours ago, Mikep7799 said:

I purchased 1 set of REV 10's and want to put them up into the corners so I am about to purchase the WS mounts for 2 sets of speakers.  Until now I haven't realized that I have to do something with my lights!!   I have a 13' with the G3 tower and 4 lights that are mounted on the speaker shelf (1pair facing forward and 1pair facing rearward).  I contacted WS and the dude was completely lost....  He asked to see pics of what I was talking about,  still lost......  Can I easily relocate these??  Will I have to do away with these completely?  I sure hope not...  Granted they aren't the best lights out there but they have come in handy on more than one occasion.... 

I have the same set up on my G3 with the single set of Revs on the dual Rev base with the swivel mounts. IIRC, if you cant or don't want to use the existing holes on the dual mount I am pretty sure you could still drill a new hole in the bases and locate the lights anywhere you want. The channels for the wires on the back side should keep them hidden as well. If you go with the swivel mounts, they are but useless for rotating the speakers more than 45 degrees because the rear cross bar is in the way.

3 hours ago, Skymedic said:

I have the same year and tower but don’t have any lights. Here’s how mine are mounted. Maybe this will help  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7pEH8LJVa87jX1E59

That looks sweet...    eventually I want to get another pair but financially, one pair with an amp is all I can handle for now.  What size amps do you have in the boat?  I purchased my amps before the thought crossed my mind that it may be to much drain on my batteries/alternator.  Right now I have (1) P1000X1bd for 2 subs; (1) P1000X2 for 1 pair of REV 10’s (room to increase to 2 pair); (1) P600X4 for all the cabin speakers.  Will that be to much on the batteries/alternator?  Only one of those amps are Class D, the other 1000 & 600 are AB Class.

2 hours ago, wdr said:

I have the same set up on my G3 with the single set of Revs on the dual Rev base with the swivel mounts. IIRC, if you cant or don't want to use the existing holes on the dual mount I am pretty sure you could still drill a new hole in the bases and locate the lights anywhere you want. The channels for the wires on the back side should keep them hidden as well. If you go with the swivel mounts, they are but useless for rotating the speakers more than 45 degrees because the rear cross bar is in the way.

Ok cool...  so I can use the bottom speaker holes for the lights?   I have looked at pics but haven’t seen any with that setup but it’s totally fine with me if it works...

I also purchased the swivel mounts based on someone’s comment that it helps a little to angle the sound upward (to give the riders in boat a break) because it can be so loud....  Did you decide against adding another pair?  If so was it because 2 are sufficient, or do you want to keep the extra room?

My first thought was that it looked kind of odd (small) with only one set and then my wife jumped all over that because “she liked the looks of the OEM dual MB Quart better”. Those failed so bonus for me! Honestly, the cost was the main limiting factor for only one set. After having the Revs for a number of years now, a second set would be waaaay too much. We don’t wake board any more so we don’t have to turn them to “kill”, just “stun” at half volume is perfect for surfing. This will be especially true for those with the surf pipe. Even at half volume we still occasionally get complaints from some passengers. I had mine tilted up slightly and couldn’t really notice a difference in the cabin or behind the boat. At that point my OCD took over and I put them back down to level to the deck. I can’t imagine how loud 2 sets would be. With the dual mount base you are set up for a second set if you want them. The only challenge will be running the second set of wires through the OEM hole in the gunnel. 

You can use the bottom speaker holes, but you will most likely have to use an insert of some sort as the bottom holes are about thumb sized holes IIRC. Otherwise the lights will most like move around on you. Good luck. Bill

13 hours ago, wdr said:

You can use the bottom speaker holes, but you will most likely have to use an insert of some sort as the bottom holes are about thumb sized holes IIRC. Otherwise the lights will most like move around on you. Good luck. Bill

Thank you sir....  and thanks for the response....!

• 2 weeks later...