Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Indmar 325?

pinelakefootin

Hey guys, so I'm looking into buying a '99 Sportster LX with an Indmar 325 in it. I just don't know much about this motor.  Is it fuel injected? Any known issues with this motor in the past? The guy says that it'll do 50+mph easily, is that accurate. Any help would be appreciated!!

28 minutes ago, pinelakefootin said:

Hey guys, so I'm looking into buying a '99 Sportster LX with an Indmar 325 in it. I just don't know much about this motor.  Is it fuel injected? Any known issues with this motor in the past? The guy says that it'll do 50+mph easily, is that accurate. Any help would be appreciated!!

I have the 325 in my 2000 Wakesetter.  Just hit 730 hours with no issues.  Plenty of power for my setup.  No known issues that I’m aware of.  The Chevy 350  one of the more reliable engines of its time.  As far as speed that would all depend on which prop is on it.

If it has the 325, it's fuel injected and is near bulletproof.  In a Sportster, 50 MPH is not out of the question.  I see 48.6 MPH GPS with that engine in my Response.

Edited by UWSkier

Nothing serious, but there were a few "recalls" (EFI remap and  a water pump IIRC - have to check my records)   Check to see if those were done.  Super solid engine.  I got 50+ in my Response with one before I repropped.

@pinelakefootin:  It should if in engine healthy and propped correctly.   Light boat with less wetted surface than the LXI so not as much surface area to push through the water.  Excellent footing boat, it does have a pretty low freeboard and is smaller than the LXI.  As noted, the Monsoons are very reliable, IIRC the circulation pump issue is the plastic impeller and I believe that was after '99, more in the early '00.  You can search this forum to find the specifics, a few threads on it.  Good luck and happy shopping. 

I have that engine also.  It is very reliable. 

Remove the air cleaner and the decorative trim cover and look at the "crossover" fuel lines that go from the fuel rail on one side to the fuel rail on the other side.  You should see one at the front of the fuel rail and another at the rear (just in front of the distributor).  They should have a short segment of rubber hose in the middle, maybe three or four inches long.  If they don't have the rubber hose segments, you will probably want to add them to stop a fuel hammer condition that caused a mid-range performance drop.  I think finding an unmodified engine these days is very unlikely since it was a recall, but they do pop up occasionally.

By the way, I get just under 50 MPH in my Sunsetter LX if I dump all the toys and people out, using the OEM 13x13 CVP stainless prop (cue the CVP/stainless prop haters; they'll be up next).

32 minutes ago, justgary said:

I have that engine also.  It is very reliable. 

Remove the air cleaner and the decorative trim cover and look at the "crossover" fuel lines that go from the fuel rail on one side to the fuel rail on the other side.  You should see one at the front of the fuel rail and another at the rear (just in front of the distributor).  They should have a short segment of rubber hose in the middle, maybe three or four inches long.  If they don't have the rubber hose segments, you will probably want to add them to stop a fuel hammer condition that caused a mid-range performance drop.  I think finding an unmodified engine these days is very unlikely since it was a recall, but they do pop up occasionally.

By the way, I get just under 50 MPH in my Sunsetter LX if I dump all the toys and people out, using the OEM 13x13 CVP stainless prop (cue the CVP/stainless prop haters; they'll be up next).

I love my CVP prop.  It looks awesome sitting in my office as a decoration.

• Like 3