Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

66020 Oxygen Sensor Bank B Sensor 1 Heater, WHAT?

hawaiianstyln

Maybe I don't understand this code but i threw the code cruising 30 mph to a restaurant on the water.  We were not wakeboarding beforehand either.  We launched, boat is running great (even after code) and then this code.  Not exactly sure what the code truly means.  Anyone know where/what to check?  FYI the code triggered once on the way back to launch after dinner, then maintained my speed for another 20 min and triggered 3 more times.  Boat sounds smooth and running great.

SPN 66020 FMI 8: Oxygen Sensor Bank B Sensor 1 Heater Abnormal Frequency or Pulse Width

From the Indmar engine manual:

Diagnostic Instructions:

• Perform the Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check on page 9-64 prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis on page 6-4 for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions on page 6-5 provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

66019 and 66020 FMI 8 - The ECM detects that the heater control duty cycle is greater than 90 percent for greater than 160 seconds.

66019, 66020, 66021, 66022 FMI 8

• SPN 110, 630, or 65580 is not set.

• The ignition voltage is greater than 10 volts.

• The engine is operating.

• The ECM is not commanding decel fuel cut-off (DFCO).

• The calculated airflow is greater than 10 grams/second (36 kg/hour).

• The SPN runs continuously when the above conditions are met.

IMG_1779.jpg

Indmar_Engine_Service_Manual.pdf

Edited by hawaiianstyln

Your o2 Sensor has a heater built in it to maintain temperature to take accurate o2 readings.  Your ECM cycles it on and off and the sensors are fused.  I'd start by removing the o2 sensor and cleaning it.  If that doesn't work, I'd replace it.  I think it is having trouble maintaining temperature, which could mean it is dirty or malfunctioning.  The message to me says it is running for longer than it should be.

• Like 1

Replace the O2 sensor. If you don't want to throw parts at it, swap O2 sensors from the other side of the motor and see if the code follows the bad O2 sensor or stays on the same side. 

• Like 1
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, JeffK said:

Your o2 Sensor has a heater built in it to maintain temperature to take accurate o2 readings.  Your ECM cycles it on and off and the sensors are fused.  I'd start by removing the o2 sensor and cleaning it.  If that doesn't work, I'd replace it.  I think it is having trouble maintaining temperature, which could mean it is dirty or malfunctioning.  The message to me says it is running for longer than it should be.

22 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Replace the O2 sensor. If you don't want to throw parts at it, swap O2 sensors from the other side of the motor and see if the code follows the bad O2 sensor or stays on the same side. 

Thank you guys!  Sad to say, I don't even know where this sensor is located to clean or swap. 

Edited by hawaiianstyln
6 minutes ago, JeffK said:

upload a picture here and I can point it out.  It will be the only sensor on your exhaust manifolds

okay give me about an hour-ish and I will have the photo.  I know there are sensors on my risers, but the dealer cut those off and put some sort of chip or diode on the end of the wires to trick the sensors due to a recall or known issue.  There is a youtube video of it somewhere as well.  hopefully those aren't the sensors you are talking about.

Those look like a pain to unscrew since you would have to get a wrench deep inside there somehow.  If those are it, I will remove and clean and if the code comes back I will swap them and see if the code follows to the other bank.

3 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Those look like a pain to unscrew since you would have to get a wrench deep inside there somehow.  If those are it, I will remove and clean and if the code comes back I will swap them and see if the code follows to the other bank.

I think there is a tool for removing it, or maybe we notched a socket.  Let me look through my old toolbox

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JeffK said:

I think there is a tool for removing it, or maybe we notched a socket.  Let me look through my old toolbox

Okay thanks, gonna go see if I have something that will get in there to remove those right now.

8 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I definitely don't have anything that would pull that out since any of my wrenches wouldn't seat down in there.  :(:(

Go on Amazon and order an O2 sensor socket. 

1 minute ago, Nitrousbird said:

Go on Amazon and order an O2 sensor socket. 

thanks bud, looking now.  I found the part on Skidim but I will swap them first to see if the get the code to bounce to the other bank (which would mean bad sensor).

bad thing is, the code will need to be purged by Diacom.  I feel like just buying the damn Diacom already instead of driving 1.5 hours one way to the dealer

1 minute ago, hunter77ah said:

Will it? Won't it turn off after three heat cycles?

good question, I haven't had 3 heat cycles yet.  I'm hoping so!

9 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

thanks bud, looking now.  I found the part on Skidim but I will swap them first to see if the get the code to bounce to the other bank (which would mean bad sensor).

Pretty sure most auto parts stores will have it as a loaner/purchase if you need it faster than that.

• Like 1
Just now, hawaiianstyln said:

was wondering that Jeff, maybe I will call autozone or Oreillys and ask ahead of time!  Thanks Guys!

Autozone's website shows them, so you should be good to go

• Like 2

Harbor Freight has the 02 sensor 7/8 socket for $6.99.  I found out that the sock is slightly to thick so I had to grind the outside socket really quick so it seats down in the riser better.