Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Waterproofing boat cover

So, like an idiot I didn't realize I need to waterproof my cover often. Well, I can say for sure my current cover isn't waterproof at all. :blush:

It rained for probably 5 days straight here and the boat is pretty damn humid inside. 
This stuff has good reviews and easy to use with a pump insecticide sprayer. 

Star brite Waterproofing Spray https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AY4RE/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

40$ a gallon. The cover doesn't have any sap or bird crap on it or really much debris of any kind. Should I still get the canvas cleaner? 

Thanks!

Edited by Ryan1776

FWIW, this is what we have used recently  on my folks pontoon cover.  Seems to last a couple years of sitting outside for 6 months

https://www.amazon.com/303-30674-Fabric-Guard-128/dp/B0000AY1W7?crid=M5U4822NWYLD&keywords=303+fabric+guard+sunbrella&qid=1539180542&sprefix=303+fabric+guard+sun%2Caps%2C207&sr=8-2&ref=sr_1_2

Used to use 3m Scotchgard sun and UV spray, which works awesome but requires a whole lot of aerosol cans and $$$

The starbrite stuff should work well too.

Sunbrella and my cover maker recommends 303 if I recall and it's a little more $.  I've used both and don't remember there being much difference in longevity.  I used to take mine to a laundromat and wash it in a xxxl sized washer but it was a wast of time.  I just leave it on the boat, get a ladder, and wash it with a mild detergent and soft bristle brush on a broom stick.  Rinse thoroughly, let it dry completely and spray it with a couple coats of your choice of protectant.  Be careful not to get it on the sides of the boat or tower,  you can wrap them with saran wrap to avoid this.   

I've used both 303 and Starbrite, and I would give the nod to 303.  This year I tried Starbrite due to the cost savings and the water doesn't seem to run off the cover as easily, but it does keep the water out.

i agree with just gary.  i spread the cover out on the driveway, rinse and spot wash with some mild dish soap, let dry and then liberally spray the 303 all over it.  also, you may want to get some desiccant to stick inside the boat if you leave it covered for extended periods of time--it sucks up the moisture and slows/prevents mold growth.

7 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Thanks every one! I read about 303 as well, but as @Ndawg12 said not much difference. 

@Brodie interesting about the beading effect or lack there of on the star bright stuff. 

It beads, but it doesn't run off very easily.  And my cover has a good slope to it.  It is effective at keeping the water out, but with 303 it seemed to run off better.

9 minutes ago, Brodie said:

It beads, but it doesn't run off very easily.  And my cover has a good slope to it.  It is effective at keeping the water out, but with 303 it seemed to run off better.

Think 32oz is enough? or am I gonna need the gallon?

24 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

Are any of you using these products on your Bimini tops as well to help protect from UV?

Yes I have a sunbrella bimini, every spring I wash it, dry and apply 303

i prefer to wash the cover and let it dry. I use Nikwax Tech wash.

Once clean and dry, I lay the cover out, upside down on a clean flat surface like driveway. Coat inside of cover to the point of almost pooling. Let dry. Any puddles or access, brush out with clean paint brush. A pump up garden sprayer is best for application. 

4 minutes ago, MLA said:

i prefer to wash the cover and let it dry. I use Nikwax Tech wash.

Once clean and dry, I lay the cover out, upside down on a clean flat surface like driveway. Coat inside of cover to the point of almost pooling. Let dry. Any puddles or access, brush out with clean paint brush. A pump up garden sprayer is best for application. 

you seal it from the inside?  Are you another vote for 303 over the starbright? 

1 hour ago, Ryan1776 said:

Gallon and buy a small sprayer to apply. I got one of amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Solo-418-2L-Ergonomic-Gardening-Fertilizing/dp/B004XV2OQU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539200478&sr=8-3&keywords=solo+sprayer

Also, I only ever spray the outside. I don't think you are supposed to spray the inside....

1 hour ago, Ryan1776 said:

Gallon.  You probably won't use it all, but 32 oz is not enough

Edited by Brodie

Coat whatever you choose. Ive been treating canvas and nylon for nearly 40 years. Ever looked at the underside of a tent fly or inside of a pair of gators. It has a different feel and look then the upper side. Thats the repellent.  

5 minutes ago, MLA said:

Coat whatever you choose. Ive been treating canvas and nylon for nearly 40 years. Ever looked at the underside of a tent fly or inside of a pair of gators. It has a different feel and look then the upper side. Thats the repellent.  

Does your cover not have rub pads on the underside? You cant get at the nylon from the bottom in a bunch of spots on my cover. 

• Like 1

The way 303 soaks into the material, I don't see it making too much difference which side you spray.  They want you to get it wet, not just mist it on. 

By the way, you can make a very good waterproofing mix by dissolving paraffin in naphtha.  The naphtha evaporates after you spray or dunk the material, leaving the paraffin behind to block the pores.  I suspect that 303 and other mixes are similar. 

2 minutes ago, justgary said:

The way 303 soaks into the material, I don't see it making too much difference which side you spray.  They want you to get it wet, not just mist it on. 

By the way, you can make a very good waterproofing mix by dissolving paraffin in naphtha.  The naphtha evaporates after you spray or dunk the material, leaving the paraffin behind to block the pores.  I suspect that 303 and other mixes are similar. 

Naptha and paraffin, sounds like homemade napalm. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Naptha and paraffin, sounds like homemade napalm. 

Nope, napalm is gasoline with styrene dissolved in it.  Makes a nice, sticky goo that is very easy to ignite (and with a satisfying whump).