Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What exactly is a cross over boat.

Gavin17

I was wakeboarding and my buddies barefoot boat dinged a prop. So we said what the heck and gave him a pull. This is why I usually toss my hat in the ring when people say they want a cross over boat. Great wakeboarding and surfing along with recreational skiing and room for 2 families.  We obviously didnt plan on pulling any skiers. We had 4 adults, a toddler, pit bull and 500 lbs of lead in the boat.  2004 23lsv wake hull,  1235 prop, wedge up :)

http://imgur.com/a/XQEu67q

3Vkg7x1.jpg

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

A crossover boat is one that you can ski the course behind and also can do wake/surf.    A 23ft LSV is not a crossover

I have to disagree.  A "crossover" boat is a boat that does multiple sports well. I don't think a boat has to be able to run the course in order to be classified as a crossover but it does have to ski relatively well.  My old SSLXi was considered one of the best crossover boats of all time as it skied/footed very well and you could sack it out and surf, relatively speaking, but after moving to our A22, I consider it a better "crossover," in my mind and for our usage, as I, my wife and my kids all ski it every outing and it does ski very well when properly setup but it surfs and boards amazingly well compared to our SSLXI.  I think the meaning of the word "crossover" has changed in 2018 vs 2008.

If we use a 1-10 rated scale my SSLXI is: a 9 for skiing, 5 for wakeboarding and 3 for surfing.  17pts and we can't take multiple families for a day on the water.  Hell, if we were surfing we had a hard time with a family of 5 with sacks all over

My A22 is a 9 for surfing, 8 for wakeboarding and 4 for skiing. 21pts

My point isn't trying to change the industry term of "crossover" but I read your comment, OJ, and laughed.  A 23LSV may not be considered a industry crossover, so the guy can't pull a skier?  Come on..

@Gavin17we barefoot our A22 on a regular basis as well.  I wouldn't work on wake crossings behind it but it gets the job done when the ski tugs aren't available.

I wouldn't want to run ours thru a course but I bought it to wakeboard and didnt care about much else. So everytime we do something new with it  I'm happily surprised. 

I was looking at real crossover boats before we bought it but since we wakeboard 80% of the time we're super happy with the 23lsv.  None of the real crossover boats I've been on had nearly as good of a wakeboard wake.  

Anyway. It was a fun evening.  

• Like 3

@wedge88 makes an interesting observation. Definition of crossover is in the eyes of the beholder. You can ski/surf/wakeboard/foot behind just about anything as long as it’s safe.

I kind of like his scoring system, so if we use that, then I’d say the definition is a boat that exceeds a “7” from an enthusiast in that event. Ie...if a skier wants to know whether their ski boat surfs at a “7” then they’d ask a surfer.

i think there are probably only a couple boats that meet that definition, and the VTX is most likely the only contemporary Malibu.

• Like 2

@braindamageTrue, I just didn't really understand that when we got it.  I know it's not really a cross over. My thinking was "I have access to a slalom boat so I don't need one."  But now we've had fun doing about everything behind ours.  I was just amused I could pull a bare footer with a semi loaded 23lsv and a prop I bought for surfing. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

@braindamageTrue, I just didn't really understand that when we got it.  I know it's not really a cross over. My thinking was "I have access to a slalom boat so I don't need one."  But now we've had fun doing about everything behind ours.  I was just amused I could pull a bare footer with a semi loaded 23lsv and a prop I bought for surfing. 

No kidding!  What speed were you pulling him at, looks pretty close to 40.

26 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

What's the top speed of a 25lsv in lift mode?

Don’t know answer but

There has already been a post, I think, of someone skiing a 25 in lift mode during a demo?

Couple or more  posts of pw3 boats doing that to the satisfaction of the OP

not all of us ski at 35+

I never tried nose weight in my Axis , gave up on it before I learned more about Wake modification for a vdrive , but I’m thinking it does the same sort of as pw3

Edited by granddaddy55
16 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

No kidding!  What speed were you pulling him at, looks pretty close to 40.

39.5. I can get about 40.5 empty/ not towing. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Not bad.  I top out at 48mph with a lighter boat and a 1939 prop.  Wouldn't want to stay there very long though, the engine is screaming.

What engine?   I need to try a VTX sometime. I've never been in one.  

I barefooted behind a Mastercraft 25' monster a few years ago.  No problem with hole shot or top speed.

I see no reason for the term "crossover."  Many boats can be pressed into multiple uses.  Are any of them optimal?  Does it matter to most people?  Heck, I skied and barefooted behind an 18' Glastron with a 140HP Evinrude for many years.  It was great.  It's just so much greater now with the Malibu....

• Like 3

I’ve seen guys barefoot behind Gs.. 

As everyone is trying to have a crossover boat there are very few boats that do every well, a crossover to work well can’t be much more than 20’. It’s turning more into doing everything poorly.... cough cough Gs22... 

In my opinion, a crossover boat is one that can do all or most watersports with good results. I think the best crossovers are the pre-2016 VTX/20'Sunscapes and the sport nautique 200. These boats are small and cramped, it is what it is. I like to barefoot the most, so having a boat that can pull 2 footers at 40 mph or faster is the highest priority. I think my boat does an OK job doing all the watersports we do which are barefooting, slalom skiing, wakeboarding and surfing.

If your want a "crossover" boat that can throw a big wake for surfing and wakeboarding and some rare ski/barefoot runs, you'll want to look elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

VTX, older 21LSVs, the SSLXi and RFXi.  Always with a diamond hull.

+1 21 LSVs with Diamond Hull.  I still look back on it fondly.  True Crossover.  About the only thing I didn't like it for at first was the couple of times I tried a barefoot boom on it.  Too much spray until I got some extra extensions.

By the way did he cross the wake?  I footed behind my buddy's '04 23LSV last summer and tried to cross but chickened out, it was still a pretty tall wake at 40mph.