Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1996 sunsetter vlx

showtime

Hey gang i just registered today but have been glued to the site for a few days now reading for ideas. I just recently bought myself a sunsetter vlx but it doesn't have a ballast system at all. I don't know whether i should go hard tanks or bags? How much ballast do i need for an intermediate rider? I plan on taking up wake surfing next summer. I heard rumors locally you want to load your boat 60/40 between the stern and bow weights. Can i plumb in a automatic systems or do i have do the old school way with a hose over the side of the boat? Sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong area, i'm a rookie. Thanks for the help!! love my bu.

Welcome to the site, the Admin crew is very good about putting your thread in its proper place. It only stings a little when they slap you up side the head. Just kidding of course.

1. Welcome to the site :)

2. Use bags and not tanks cause they take up less space when empty, and can hold a ton more (then the stock VLX tanks which were 250 IIRC)

3. Do a search about ballast and you will find TONS of info!!!

4. If you put 500lb. sacks in each locker, 500lb. in the locker, and 300lbs. in the bow the boarding wake will be pro level and the surfing wake with one locker empty will be killer too!

I believe that your boat is pretty much identical to mine. When I first bought it 2 years ago, it had a ballast system plumbed in consisting of a 540lb bag on each side of the engine and a 400lb bag in the locker. The wake was great but I've never been good at leaving anything alone.

I decided to add the wedge for adjustability and resale purposes. This made a huge difference and I actually had to add a 600lb sac in the bow just to level it out some and help the boat plane off with all the other ballast filled. The wake was huge and clean and I really liked it a lot. Guys that I knew that had much newer boats still wanted to take mine because of the wake it threw. Then early this summer, I noticed one of the wedge screws had sheared off so I took it to the dealer and he sent it off to have replaced. Well, wedge availability for whatever reason became scarce this summer so I went without the wedge for a while.

Not long after the wedge incident, one of my rear bags developed leaks and needed replacing. I opted to go with the pro-x 750lb bags. I just used the existing pumps for them. Currently I am using the (2)750's, the 400lb locker bag, a 600 lb bag in the floor right in front of the rear seat, and an 800lb bag in the bow. All without the wedge(since I still haven't gotten mine back yet). The wake is much bigger than it was previously and cleans up very nicely at 22MPH. It is very big and quite steep which is how I prefer the wake anyway.

Long post, I apologize. But basically I have used this boat at 3 pretty distinct ballast levels and depending on what exactly you're looking for, you should be able to achieve it with that boat.

If you're planning on doing much surfing, I highly recommend the 750lb bags. They really get the boat leaning in the right direction.

If you're planning on doing much surfing, I highly recommend the 750lb bags. They really get the boat leaning in the right direction.

Add people to that & you'll have a great wave to surf on. That's a great boarding & surfing hull, congrats on the new boat. :)

Thanks to all for the info. i'm going to try the search engine for previous discussions like suggested, who know's maybe i'll be able to find some used ones from someone. Thanks again.

Welcome, the folks here are Very helpful, quick witted and quick to offer opinions and to point out the error of your ways. All in good fun however.

Search the ballast threads, you can have a system as easy, complicated and or expensive as your little heart desires. I have 2 hard tanks ... they are in the attic. Get the ProX 750's for the lockers and one slightly smaller for the bow. The wake will be very nice, probably all you will need. I only use my wedge now for surfing.

I have a 96 VLX as well. Definitely use bags, not tanks.

I just redid the ballast system this summer, had a Simer system with manual valves under the seats & such before. Noisy, slow, and power-hogging, but it did the trick.

I'm running about 2900 lbs total with (8) Attwood Tsunami 1200's, and it fills / empties in 5 min, stopped or underway, totally controlled from the dashboard. The circuit is almost a carbon copy of the Rival system, but I'm using all 1" hose and fittings, 1" thruhulls and 1.5" scupper.

I suggest searching Wakeworld forums as well - tons of ballast info there too. Look for posts by username Jamie(yooper) specifically. I might take some pics of my finished system and post them, if I ever get motivated. :)