Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lift - worth it or not?

IronSteve

I'm considering getting a boat lift for my new 23 LSV that will hit the water next season.  I plan to have the boat in the slip for the full season so worried about damage and my new baby getting dirty from being the the water for months on end.  Just getting tripped up with the idea of dropping $15k on a hydraulic boat lift - is it worth the $15k (and are there cheaper alternatives I just didn't find?) and will it really make a difference?    

Also, what's the second hand market like for these things?  I haven't seen any used ones around for sale.

22 minutes ago, Brodie said:

You will absolutely want a lift.  Your boat will never be the same if you float it for the season.  Used lifts are fairly common in MN, even in the 6000-7000lb area that you will need.  Just keep watching CL.   The boat lift dealers get used ones in on trade as well.

Agree 100%.  You can find used lifts.  Don't leave it in the water for the season.

Go Bison.

You definitely want a lift!  What kind depends on lots of things: Cabin/home or marina; bottom depth and profile; bottom sand, mud, or rocks; covered or open top; power available or at least sun for solar panel, etc. etc.

Anyway, with a new 23 LSV you want a lift.  Some marinas allow them but have their own rules and restrictions.  Check if you're in a marina.  You may have to move slips.  If home or cabin go out and measure depth and bottom consistency.  You'll want to do that or better yet, get the dock dealer out to take a look BEFORE the ice forms.  If you're looking at used there are lots available on Craig's List, especially this time of year.  You'll want to know the depths in a square shape about 9 by 12 feet where you want the boat to go.  If you buy used please be aware of invasive species if it will not sit on land over the winter.

Lifts are not cheap and you usually get what you pay for.  If you go used find a local friend that's experienced.

48hrs or less in water and stain occurs some lajes at 24 straight hrs.. 

CL. Ha good luck.. 6-7k lift will be a unicorn that draws a premium, and I'd go bigger, 6k is bare min..get yourself an 8k and longer canopy that way u won't loose on resale or if u ever decide to get a 25lsv. 

4-5k lifts are hardly sellable, dealers won't even take them in on trade anymore.. within a year or two same will be true for 6k in some areas..  purchase an 8K and you will never lose money on it with the way pricing is increasing.. and do yourself a favor spend extra money and get a canopy that actually covers it with Tower up or your canopy will be worthless as well.. 

And if you can find a decent lift for 15K I would be absolutely shocked... or it is as bare-bones As It Gets without any goodies..(free standing lifts of course).. Id plan on minimum 20K+ .. I'm not sure you have 2019 pricing as well FYI most of the pricing has gone up 10-15% over last year or higher just on several the boat lift companies around here.. now with aluminum pricing going up.. plan on another 10% hike that will be going into effect very quickly.. same with pontoons.. so you're looking at approximately a 20% price hike over last spring! As mentioned go big so you don't lose on resale.. most people that have bought 7-8K lifts in the past 5 years are laughing all the way to the bank they could probably sell on Craigslist for more than a purchased.. 

Don't buy a Ferrari if you can afford a garage.. look at the number one fact stated on used boat sales ie.. ( always kept on a lift under a canopy) followed by indoor storage or indoor heated storage... There is a reason..

I would spend the extra money get the accessories you need so you can come in bump off some bumpers park it easily lift it with remote control and be happy.. if you go Bare Bones it will be a PIA and you will hate the experience.. 

Edited by The Hulk