Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie floating wedge install

Hey guys new to the forum but have been lurking for months digging for info through my new to me boat search.  I finally settled on an 05’ VLX with 320 hrs that was within driving distance.  We bought the boat with a broken wedge(one arm broke, foil gone, screws sheared at end of other arm) knowing we had to replace it.  TNT water sports in Nashville spoke with Malibu and said a replacement foil was discontinued and I would have to update to the floating wedge.   Unfortunate but from what I’ve been reading, members like the floating wedge better and with the stainless exhaust turn downs, the stainless bracket and floating wedge will look good.  Now I need to replace the factory wedge bracket and couldn’t find any direct info on this process.  I’m am no marine mechanic but very machanicly inclined and wasn’t sure if any members have had to replace the bracket on the transom and if so, what am I in for.  I had the service guy ask the Malibu rep for torque specs and his exact response was, Make sure it’s tight💥💥.  Also this model has the factory bow ballast but only 1 MLS switch right of steering wheel.  I’m assuming there piggybacked together.  Super stoked to own a Malibu and be a part of the forum.  

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

PS how do you become a supporting member and what’s the supporting member Bakesonline discount?   I’ve already had two deliveries😆

Thanks Ronnie!   I’ve looked it over a bit as I’ve had the parts a few days now and waiting for a few free hrs.  I can feel the backing plate and my plan was to leave it in place as well as the bolts, seal around the bolts on the outside and slide the new bracket  on and tighten.  My biggest question is if the existing bracket will be sealed to the hull or just the bolt holes sealed.  In other words, will I have to pry it off the transom.  Wasn’t sure how they came from Malibu and didn’t want to jack anything up getting it off.   Thanks again

I changed one back around '05 or '06 on a '04 23LSV so it's been a while but, I left the inside plate in place. I resealed the New bolts with 5200 sealant. I never had any issues. I also changed a regular wedge to a power wedge on a boat about the same time. Pretty much the same deal except the wiring.

It should be a pretty straightforward process IF the hole pattern of the old wedge plate/bracket is the same as the new one‘s.

Get access to the backing plate and the nylock nuts inside, remove nuts, remove bolts, pry off wedge bracket, clean area, use 3M sealant around the holes and the bolts, install. No need to remove/replace the backing plate IF hole pattern is identical.

Thanks Chaabo.  I’ve measured the bolt pattern and they look to be the same.  After getting it home and digging through it, I found a carbon copy of the Indmar warranty registration.  Can’t read all of it but it was originally sold in your neck of the woods in Ocala and registered to someone in Port Orange.  

I just did this on our 03 VLX. Easy. Helpful to have 2 people, one working inside transom and one on the outside. My bracket came off when nuts were off. I only had a small amount of sealant around the holes. A friend of mine had a couple of chunks of gelcoat come with it when we pulled his bracket off. Probably depends on who was in charge of applying sealant that day at the factory. I  did not use 3M 5200. Did not see reason for using adhesive product, went with sealant only trusting the bolts to hold it on. 

Hey guys the floating wedge swap went off without a hitch.  As described there was a bit of sealant around the bolt holes and once nuts were removed, the bracket came off with minor effort.  Re-sealed bolt holes and ready for test run Saturday.