Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replace lights behind wakesetter sign

How do I replace the red lights behind the Wakesetter signs (in the chrome housings)?  I know the previous models had screws to access from the outside.  My 2013 MXZ has screws from the backside, so I’m assuming that whole panel including the speakers and cup holders have to come out?  Is this correct?  If so, how?   Thanks for any help...!

Edited by Mikep7799
Grammer

I don't know anything about the chrome housing or the lights, but I would be amazed if they aren't LEDs.  LEDs generally don't blow out, particularly if they are biased below their maximum current rating. 

Are you sure you have voltage to the fixture? 

Unless you just want to change the color.  That's another story. 

If you cant reach up from under and feel the nuts, then yes, the coaming pad and panel would have to be removed, or partially removed. Yes, they are LED strips glued down on the back side.  

6 hours ago, justgary said:

I don't know anything about the chrome housing or the lights, but I would be amazed if they aren't LEDs.  LEDs generally don't blow out, particularly if they are biased below their maximum current rating. 

Are you sure you have voltage to the fixture? 

Unless you just want to change the color.  That's another story. 

Yes I would like to change the color, but it is also much weaker than the one on the other side of the boat.  

6 hours ago, MLA said:

If you cant reach up from under and feel the nuts, then yes, the coaming pad and panel would have to be removed, or partially removed. Yes, they are LED strips glued down on the back side.  

Yea I can see them through the mesh sign and I have felt a screw on the back side but there is zero room back there.  Do you have any idea how to remove all of that?

5 minutes ago, Mikep7799 said:

Yes I would like to change the color, but it is also much weaker than the one on the other side of the boat.  

A weaker LED (I presume you mean dimmer) is probably a bad connection.  LEDs are current activated devices, not voltage activated.  Any change in the resistance of a connection will generally make them dimmer because it will change the current in the circuit.  Even if you plan to change the LEDs to a different color, you will want to get the connections clean for best results.

8 minutes ago, justgary said:

A weaker LED (I presume you mean dimmer) is probably a bad connection.  LEDs are current activated devices, not voltage activated.  Any change in the resistance of a connection will generally make them dimmer because it will change the current in the circuit.  Even if you plan to change the LEDs to a different color, you will want to get the connections clean for best results.

Thanks for the info....  I will definitely check that out...!!