Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 Vride purchase questions

barefootpaul

I am looking at purchasing an 06 Vride. It falls soundly in the "well loved" category. Which is fine with me since I have 4 small children and prefer to get a deal rather than hold out for an immaculate boat. Overall it looks fine. A bit dirty, but everything is there. I talked to the seller, and he sounds like a very honest guy and has owned it since new. It is in Florida and I am in Minnesota so I asked for a few more detailed pictures. A few of them showed a little more "crusty" than I was expecting. So I am reaching out to the crew to give insight on what factors may cause the fowling.

what is going on with the top of the engine? Is that heat or humidity related? I have been on here a long time and am not sure I have ever seen a cover that crusty.

nwznyX-YQ6amMPIGzaz0BWIAgy3Kune0d8sAKmf2

Ce7pt8-SmVs5EPNWV-ahUcwhwMDAAd7Jdx6kcjd6

The 06 era of dashes were known to flake. Is this more than typical and does it infer other issues?

OeB17nMx1imJVq2vINUmj6zu2xyg4dulOdqvg9U3

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Salt

On top of a plastic part?

The guy said it was never used in salt. He could be lying, but I didn't get the vibe he was trying to pull one on me.

Salty  air?  The Plenum/air intake in the first photo is aluminum and powder coated.  Risers have rust, look newer probably replaced.  Bolts for the valve covers in picture 2 are rusting.  Corrosion on the ECM, thermostat housing.  

Yes salt will effect chrome plating as well.  Have a friend with an 05 that has the same dash with little to no signs of flaking.

What part of Florida?

• Like 2

I agree that this boat has seen salt.  Maybe he didn't use it in saltwater, but depending on where he is in florida, it's been exposed to salt.

This looks like a boat that gets put away after the season without being cleaned.  I'd be concerned about other 'deferred' maintenance that the current owner didn't do.

I bought an 06 23LSV last year out of Sacramento with 500 hours.  It didn't show any of these signs.

Unless its a screaming deal (including transport), i'd be very skeptical of this boat.

If you are up for travelling, here is one close to me that just came up for sale: https://bend.craigslist.org/boa/d/malibu-boat-sunscape-lsv/6668705006.html

1 hour ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Salty  air?  The Plenum/air intake in the first photo is aluminum and powder coated.  Risers have rust, look newer probably replaced.  Bolts for the valve covers in picture 2 are rusting.  Corrosion on the ECM, thermostat housing.  

Yes salt will effect chrome plating as well.  Have a friend with an 05 that has the same dash with little to no signs of flaking.

What part of Florida?

Boat is in Orlando. Nowhere in Florida is far from salt, but he never had a trailer and it was in a boathouse its whole life.

44 minutes ago, foiler1 said:

Runnnnn!  Wait until the boat show season. Lots of used will come up closer to you.

Not much comes up near me. This one is about 40% less than I would expect it to be around here.

1 hour ago, kylesullens said:

I agree that this boat has seen salt.  Maybe he didn't use it in saltwater, but depending on where he is in florida, it's been exposed to salt.

This looks like a boat that gets put away after the season without being cleaned.  I'd be concerned about other 'deferred' maintenance that the current owner didn't do.

I bought an 06 23LSV last year out of Sacramento with 500 hours.  It didn't show any of these signs.

Unless its a screaming deal (including transport), i'd be very skeptical of this boat.

If you are up for travelling, here is one close to me that just came up for sale: https://bend.craigslist.org/boa/d/malibu-boat-sunscape-lsv/6668705006.html

That does look look nice. Decent price. Wrong tower.

It is a very good, borderline screaming deal. I am thinking I can push him a little lower into the screaming category.

I will add that I have never used my current ride in salt (though it did come from Alabama 11 years ago). Parts of my engine look better, parts worse, and it has never been put away wet.

44 minutes ago, barefootpaul said:

Boat is in Orlando. Nowhere in Florida is far from salt, but he never had a trailer and it was in a boathouse its whole life.

I agree that isn't exactly coastal living, but I would venture to guess that it was put up wet if the rust and corrosion is showing up that much.  I zoomed in on your pictures and every visible screw head had plenty of rust if they were steel.  The exhaust hoses have visible mildew.  Most every aluminum surface was showing some for of corrosion.  I would hate to have to do any maintenance and try an break something loose.  Lots of broken screws and bolts in the future.

What does the rest of the boat look like?  How is the interior?  Much mildew?  How does the tower or racks look, or other other Malibu emblems?  

7 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

I agree that isn't exactly coastal living, but I would venture to guess that it was put up wet if the rust and corrosion is showing up that much.  I zoomed in on your pictures and every visible screw head had plenty of rust if they were steel.  The exhaust hoses have visible mildew.  Most every aluminum surface was showing some for of corrosion.  I would hate to have to do any maintenance and try an break something loose.  Lots of broken screws and bolts in the future.

What does the rest of the boat look like?  How is the interior?  Much mildew?  How does the tower or racks look, or other other Malibu emblems?  

Interior is dirty, and has some mildew for sure. None of the emblems look great. My current thinking is that it was covered wet in the Florida heat. I imagine it stayed wet for quite a while in those conditions. The exterior looks pretty good. Not at all like it sat in the water for 12 years.

I am much less concerned about cosmetic things. What I don't want is electrical or mechanical gremlins. Known issues I can cost adjust for. Hidden things are what I am a little afraid of.

25 minutes ago, barefootpaul said:

I am much less concerned about cosmetic things. What I don't want is electrical or mechanical gremlins. Known issues I can cost adjust for. Hidden things are what I am a little afraid of.

Hmmm....if your biggest concerns are electrical or mechanical gremlins then I would be leery and probably stay away from this boat and find another...unless you can get the price so low that you build in the $$'s to replace some of these things if needed.

Bob

9 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Define "screaming deal." As in actual price. Mine is 5 years older with zero of that kind of wear...I am betting salt exposure. 

Home for 20% less than I can easily sell for in the spring. I figure a clean vride with some of the normal options (like the wedge) would easily sell in the mid to upper 20s. So I see screaming being south of 20-22 depending on options and condition. This one is being listed for 18.4 with no trailer. Which is not quite screaming but getting real close. I haven't seen another come even close.

16 minutes ago, barefootpaul said:

Home for 20% less than I can easily sell for in the spring. I figure a clean vride with some of the normal options (like the wedge) would easily sell in the mid to upper 20s. So I see screaming being south of 20-22 depending on options and condition. This one is being listed for 18.4 with no trailer. Which is not quite screaming but getting real close. I haven't seen another come even close.

I would say your average '06 Vride with trailer (decent shape and the basics) would be upper 20's to lower 30's. 

Figure 3k for a trailer, so you are about 7k off the norm. Interior work adds up quickly...I'd be real careful about the condition or you may be restoring a boat to break even.

At his price point I'd almost say he's hiding something.  My '07 with almost the same amount of hours shows nothing near the wear of that boat.  For the potential issues, I'd say a 15k cash deal at most or walk away, especially based on the current higher market value of most other boats from that year range v-ride.