Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Velvet drive v drive repairs/replacement

Owner of a 2010 vlx indmar 5.7

my boat has a transmission and v drive manufactured by velvet drive and is not listed in the owners manual. My v drive water jacket has a crack and water contaminates my v drive fluid, this is not repairable that I know of, and indmar will only sell part 082020 which is a velvet drive tans and v assembly for 4500$. I’m looking for only a Velvet v drive. Any suggestions? 

If I switched to a used Zf trans and v drive which I can locate and is listed in the owners manual would it be compatable with my engine 159335???

shop wants $7600 to fix with indmar 082020

19 hours ago, Kmatelic said:

Owner of a 2010 vlx indmar 5.7

my boat has a transmission and v drive manufactured by velvet drive and is not listed in the owners manual. My v drive water jacket has a crack and water contaminates my v drive fluid, this is not repairable that I know of, and indmar will only sell part 082020 which is a velvet drive tans and v assembly for 4500$. I’m looking for only a Velvet v drive. Any suggestions? 

If I switched to a used Zf trans and v drive which I can locate and is listed in the owners manual would it be compatable with my engine 159335???

shop wants $7600 to fix with indmar 082020

Is it a skivee transmission and vdrive? I have a 2013 sitting in my garage that was on 23LSV with Monsoon 350. It needed a rear lower vdrive output shaft seal and I decided for the price point difference I went with a total replacement of transmission and vdrive. I don’t know what it is worth but as long as you are fly by wire, it should fit.  Pm me if you want to discuss.

55 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

You can get ski vee transmissions for around half that. The only difference is they’re not painted, which it doesn’t need to be.

So as long as I purchase a trans and v assembly made for that engine and model year everything else should line up? 

1 hour ago, Kmatelic said:

So as long as I purchase a trans and v assembly made for that engine and model year everything else should line up? 

This is what I bought. It's an exact replacement. $2,300 with freight shipping to my house. Indmar doesn't make transmissions. They buy from ZF, paint it to match the engine then mark it up to make money. Also, of the $4,500 cost that Indmar "charges", 20% of that goes to your dealer as a profit.

https://www.perfprotech.com/transmission-zf45iv-zf45iv/product/246066

Edited by boardjnky4
8 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

This is what I bought. It's an exact replacement. $2,300 with freight shipping to my house. Indmar doesn't make transmissions. They buy from ZF, paint it to match the engine then mark it up to make money. Also, of the $4,500 cost that Indmar "charges", 20% of that goes to your dealer as a profit.

https://www.perfprotech.com/transmission-zf45iv-zf45iv/product/246066

My trans and v drive were not ZF, they were Velvet Drive.

Update. 

The dealer said my v drive was cracked and letting water contaminate the v drive fluid via the v drive fluid cooling process.

I pulled the v drive housing off cleaned it up and absolutely no signs of water leaking from a simple water pressure test. Going to now set up and air pressure test with a gauge.

My guess is this was a misdiagnosis from the shop and they were eager to get $7600 in work, approx $5900 of that for a new v and trans assembly since they are only sold together. 

14 hours ago, Kmatelic said:

Update. 

The dealer said my v drive was cracked and letting water contaminate the v drive fluid via the v drive fluid cooling process.

I pulled the v drive housing off cleaned it up and absolutely no signs of water leaking from a simple water pressure test. Going to now set up and air pressure test with a gauge.

My guess is this was a misdiagnosis from the shop and they were eager to get $7600 in work, approx $5900 of that for a new v and trans assembly since they are only sold together. 

Usually, water in the V-Drive is simply a matter of water getting into the breather valve at the top of the V-Drive. If water was intruding through the heat exchanger, you would find that over time the fluid would completely overflow into your bilge through the breather valve.

Also, it takes multiple fluid changes to get all of the strawberry milkshake looking fluid completely out.

14 hours ago, Kmatelic said:

My trans and v drive were not ZF, they were Velvet Drive.

Ahh, ok ... Either way, I'm sure that you can find a replacement much cheaper than through Indmar, you just need to know the part number, which is easy to find.