Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LED Pod Lights for Tower - Floodlight or spotlight?

SCMike

47 minutes ago, Falko said:

Flood lights. At no point should you be going fast enough to outrun their distance of sight (especially for docking) and the wide beam helps with finding something should that be the use.

Also carry a small spot light either rechargeable or plug wired that you can use to see distance if needed.

But only use them coming into docks or emergency as others have stated. 

I carry a small powerful led flashlight when I am in the houseboat. And in the Bu, if there is no moon . Quick click, on and off. It is bright enough to see 150-200'. Also it is quick enough my eyes never adjust.

This is one of many that I carry. A man can never have to many flashlights:lol:

https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Flashlight-Batteries-Aluminum-Black/dp/B07B6WG3Q5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539021744&sr=8-2&keywords=xbt+a2+flashlight

• Like 2
On 10/7/2018 at 10:39 AM, SCMike said:

@Wakesetter67 what did they lights cost you through the dealership?  I’ve tried getting a quote on these and a number of other items, but by dealer has an all new service department, and does not get back to me.  So frustrating. 

I had factory docking lights added last winter to my boat.  They charged me 169 per light.  Total with labor to install them was around $500.  My dealer stored my boat and I ordered my lights during the boat show so they had some discounts on parts.

5 hours ago, Sdva said:

I have a set of Malibu dock lights if you are interested from a 2017 never installed 

Yes, very interested!  Sending you a PM. 

I did some tower light on mine for this very reason.

They were great when I had to go pick up people from the marina at 11pm at shasta this year.  They are next to useless when in the middle of the lake at night, but that is not what I installed them for.  They are FANTASTIC at lighting up the shore line/ dock/houseboat in the pitch black.  They are also really good to have when you are floating in the middle to lake at midnight star gazing when a group of 25 bass boats are coming in from a late night tournament.  They tend to ignore the 5mph law at night My anchor light tends to just "blend in" to surrounding camp lights, I flashed the lights for a second to make sure they actually saw me before it was to late.

Edit - to answer your question, with the cheap LEDs, spot work great.  They don't really have tight enough quality control on the lenses to maintain a true spot beam. 

I used these LEDs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0197ZQLBA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by twitchee2
On 10/8/2018 at 10:09 AM, Falko said:

Flood lights. At no point should you be going fast enough to outrun their distance of sight (especially for docking) and the wide beam helps with finding something should that be the use.

Also carry a small spot light either rechargeable or plug wired that you can use to see distance if needed.

But only use them coming into docks or emergency as others have stated. 

100% agree with you here.  I just purchased a set of factory docking lights.  I also keep a very powerful flashlight in the glove box.  I should be all set for any situation now.

Turn off your lights or better yet, don't even add any. Other people's lights suck at night. Make it harder for everyone else to see. I have had a few altercations with other boaters who think they're cool rolling into the docks or down the river with their lights blinding everyone else around. Funny part is it doesn't help them see any better than if they just let thier eyes adjust to the darkness.  Don't be "that guy". If you're out on the lake with NO other boats around, go for it but if you see another boat anywhere in sight, TURN THEM OFF. please and thank you. 

• Like 3
On 10/8/2018 at 8:04 PM, SCMike said:

Yes, very interested!  Sending you a PM. 

I have docking lights on my '17 LSV.  Dont set your expectations too high, they do help some when pulling on the trailer in evening but just know they have there limitations.  I do think they look good and finish off the bow nicely.

51 minutes ago, Fman said:

I have docking lights on my '17 LSV.  Dont set your expectations too high, they do help some when pulling on the trailer in evening but just know they have there limitations.  I do think they look good and finish off the bow nicely.

Thx, hoping they help in night time situations.  I plan to do the install next weekend. 

On the subject of lights :) I have a 2008 23 LSV... do any of these boats have an overhead light useful for using the picnic table as the sun is setting?

I saw these:

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/malibu-413005-black-push-button-plastic-boat-illusion-tower-overhead-double-dome-light-single?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o2&scid=scplp1046070&sc_intid=1046070&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI262E_O6k3gIVkv5kCh2mzQR9EAQYAiABEgJaHfD_BwE

but not sure if they will fit the illusion XS tower or if there is a downward light already made for it?

Edited by Argonaut